AutoText in Word 2007

=?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgV2VzdA==?=

      12th Mar 2007
I just upgraded my wife's computer to Vista/Office 2007.

She uses AutoText to help with her medical transcription work. Now that she
is in Word 2007, we can't find a way to enable AutoText so that it pops up
suggestions as she types a few letters, like in Work 2003.

What am I missing?

Stefan Blom

      12th Mar 2007
Herb Tyson has the answer for this question (found in the "How do I
use autotext in Vista like I did in XP?" thread in this newsgroup):

****************************
AutoComplete has been disabled due to
the enormous quantity of Building Blocks (the expanded successor to
AutoText) that would otherwise cause AutoComplete to occur just about
all
the time.

To force completion after typing the first four characters, you'll
need to
press the F3 key. This will work with any Building Block, not just
AutoText.
But, it will work only if there are no other entries that begin with
the
same 4 letters.

As a work-around, many users are finding it useful to use AutoCorrect
entries instead of AutoText entries, and to purposefully create
shorthands
that match what they were typing in Word 2003 and earlier. There's
still no
AutoComplete display, but typing any word separator (space, period,
comma,
etc.) will trigger that automatic change from the shorthand into the
expanded form.
****************************

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Peter West" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I just upgraded my wife's computer to Vista/Office 2007.
>
> She uses AutoText to help with her medical transcription work. Now
> that she
> is in Word 2007, we can't find a way to enable AutoText so that it
> pops up
> suggestions as she types a few letters, like in Work 2003.
>
> What am I missing?

Bob Buckland ?:-\)

      12th Mar 2007
Hi Peter,

MS Office 2003 expanded the galleries of saved entries into the 'Document Parts/Building Blocks/Quick Parts' feature set to include
the items you see when you go to insert preformatted pages, headers and footers with themed content. Autotext is now just a single
category of Building Blocks and has, unfortunately, due to the possibility of having too many items that have the same starting
text, had the 'autocomplete' suggestions removed.

You can, if you have the first few characters unique, still use the F3 (complete) key to have it pop-in the Autotext entries.

===========
<<"Peter West" <Peter (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
I just upgraded my wife's computer to Vista/Office 2007.

She uses AutoText to help with her medical transcription work. Now that she
is in Word 2007, we can't find a way to enable AutoText so that it pops up
suggestions as she types a few letters, like in Work 2003.

What am I missing? <<
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP