Autorecovery

Ray

      27th Oct 2008
How do I recover a file that has extension .asd? Word won't open it. It is
in my autorecovery location. Also, why does my last autorecovery file show a
saved date of two days ago when I have it set to autosave every 10 minutes?
--
Ray
SmithDRay Web Pages http://smithdray.net

Graham Mayor

      28th Oct 2008
Unless Word encounters a crash condition the autorecovery files are closed
with the document. If Word crashes, the ASD file is used to rebuild the
document to the last save of the autorecovery file.

If you have old ASD files stored then they are orphaned from a previous Word
session and not related to the most recent document. If the files are not
corrupt, you can open them by right clicking from Windows Explorer and
selecting Open With ... You will get a message giving you the option to open
with a program from a list. From that list pick Winword.exe.

Note there is no autosave in Word. It only saves recovery information. See
http://www.gmayor.com/automatically_backup.htm

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

Ray wrote:
> How do I recover a file that has extension .asd? Word won't open it.
> It is in my autorecovery location. Also, why does my last
> autorecovery file show a saved date of two days ago when I have it
> set to autosave every 10 minutes?

Ray

      29th Oct 2008
Thanks Graham, that helped a lot. I am now keeping a back up AND frequently
saving files I am working on. I was one who thought (wrongly) that Word
actually saved a copy in autorecovery. Live and learn, huh.

Thanks again,