PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

An Automated process of watching a network file folder, reading a file in it and deleting the file using ASP.NET ?

 
 
Luis Esteban Valencia Muñoz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      3rd Jun 2005
Hi everyone,
I created a VB.NET application that looks at a folder
in my local system from which I can read the file, enter data into the
database and delete the file. I am using the filewatcher class.. However I
need to do the same with ASP.NET. I want this application to be running all
the time and I want the changes to be reflected on the ASP.NET page i.e the
graphs on the ASP.NET page reflect the data that is being entered in the
database from the files.

thank you


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Scott Allen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      3rd Jun 2005
Hi Luis:

You can apply the same technique you currently use with the
FileSystemWatcher. What you'll have to do is have the web forms poll
from the client, perhaps by using a META tag to refresh every X
seconds.

--
Scott
http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 09:32:31 -0500, "Luis Esteban Valencia Muñoz"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi everyone,
> I created a VB.NET application that looks at a folder
>in my local system from which I can read the file, enter data into the
>database and delete the file. I am using the filewatcher class.. However I
>need to do the same with ASP.NET. I want this application to be running all
>the time and I want the changes to be reflected on the ASP.NET page i.e the
>graphs on the ASP.NET page reflect the data that is being entered in the
>database from the files.
>
>thank you
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Luis Esteban Valencia Muñoz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      3rd Jun 2005
it wont work if there are no clients...

plus the aspnet worker process gets recycled and what would happen to the
automated process then?? You really need to use a Windows Service... or not?
"Scott Allen" <(E-Mail Removed)> escribió en el mensaje
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Luis:
>
> You can apply the same technique you currently use with the
> FileSystemWatcher. What you'll have to do is have the web forms poll
> from the client, perhaps by using a META tag to refresh every X
> seconds.
>
> --
> Scott
> http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/
>
> On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 09:32:31 -0500, "Luis Esteban Valencia Muñoz"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Hi everyone,
> > I created a VB.NET application that looks at a

folder
> >in my local system from which I can read the file, enter data into the
> >database and delete the file. I am using the filewatcher class.. However

I
> >need to do the same with ASP.NET. I want this application to be running

all
> >the time and I want the changes to be reflected on the ASP.NET page i.e

the
> >graphs on the ASP.NET page reflect the data that is being entered in the
> >database from the files.
> >
> >thank you
> >

>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Scott Allen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      4th Jun 2005
On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 13:25:12 -0500, "Luis Esteban Valencia Muñoz"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>it wont work if there are no clients...


If you are configured to shutdown an idle process, yes that's true.

>
>plus the aspnet worker process gets recycled and what would happen to the
>automated process then?? You really need to use a Windows Service... or not?


A service would always be running, but your clients will still need to
poll the web application.

--
Scott
http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what permissions does a windows service need to execute another process? System.Diagnostics.Process process = System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(info); just local administrator? any specific permitions? Daniel Microsoft Dot NET Framework 1 13th Apr 2006 04:56 AM
what permissions does a windows service need to execute another process? System.Diagnostics.Process process = System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(info); just local administrator? any specific permitions? Daniel Microsoft Windows 2000 Security 0 12th Apr 2006 11:47 PM
what permissions does a windows service need to execute another process? System.Diagnostics.Process process = System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(info); just local administrator? any specific permitions? Daniel Microsoft Windows 2000 0 12th Apr 2006 11:47 PM
what permissions does a windows service need to execute another process? System.Diagnostics.Process process = System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(info); just local administrator? any specific permitions? Daniel Microsoft C# .NET 0 12th Apr 2006 11:47 PM
what permissions does a windows service need to execute another process? System.Diagnostics.Process process = System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(info); just local administrator? any specific permitions? Daniel Microsoft Dot NET 0 12th Apr 2006 11:46 PM


Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:19 PM.