Autofill form fields from dropdown menus in Word 2007

themetapoet

      29th Sep 2009
Hi

I've built a dropdown menu in my form and I'd like to autofill another field
with the value (not the display name) of whichever selection the user makes
on the dropdown menu. I can't find anything in help which tells me how to do
this and although I've found some references on other forums, I don't really
know anything about VBA so I'm finding it very hard to follow. Could anyone
break it down for me?

Thanks!!

NAS

      29th Sep 2009
Sounds like you are talking about Access. This newsgroup is about Microsoft
Word. Please repost your question in the appropriate newsgroup and I'm sure
they will be happy to help.

"themetapoet" wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've built a dropdown menu in my form and I'd like to autofill another field
> with the value (not the display name) of whichever selection the user makes
> on the dropdown menu. I can't find anything in help which tells me how to do
> this and although I've found some references on other forums, I don't really
> know anything about VBA so I'm finding it very hard to follow. Could anyone
> break it down for me?
>
> Thanks!!

themetapoet

      29th Sep 2009
Thanks but my form fields are actually within a table in Word.

"NAS" wrote:

> Sounds like you are talking about Access. This newsgroup is about Microsoft
> Word. Please repost your question in the appropriate newsgroup and I'm sure
> they will be happy to help.
>
> "themetapoet" wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I've built a dropdown menu in my form and I'd like to autofill another field
> > with the value (not the display name) of whichever selection the user makes
> > on the dropdown menu. I can't find anything in help which tells me how to do
> > this and although I've found some references on other forums, I don't really
> > know anything about VBA so I'm finding it very hard to follow. Could anyone
> > break it down for me?
> >
> > Thanks!!

Suzanne S. Barnhill

      29th Sep 2009
Don't use a second form field for the second occurrence. Instead use a REF
field to reference the bookmark assigned to the dropdown form field. Make
sure that "Calculate on exit" is checked in the Form Field Options for the
dropdown field. You can use Insert | Reference | Cross-reference to insert
the REF field, selecting "Bookmark" as the reference type and "Bookmark
text" under "Insert reference to."

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"themetapoet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> I've built a dropdown menu in my form and I'd like to autofill another
> field
> with the value (not the display name) of whichever selection the user
> makes
> on the dropdown menu. I can't find anything in help which tells me how to
> do
> this and although I've found some references on other forums, I don't
> really
> know anything about VBA so I'm finding it very hard to follow. Could
> anyone
> break it down for me?
>
> Thanks!!

Graham Mayor

      30th Sep 2009
Use a ref field to call the bookmark name of the dropdown field and check
the calculate on exit check box of the dropdown field properties. eg
{ Ref Dropdown1 \*charformat }
You will not need a macro unless the ref field is placed in the page header
or in a text box.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

themetapoet wrote:
> Thanks but my form fields are actually within a table in Word.
>
> "NAS" wrote:
>
>> Sounds like you are talking about Access. This newsgroup is about
>> Microsoft Word. Please repost your question in the appropriate
>> newsgroup and I'm sure they will be happy to help.
>>
>> "themetapoet" wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I've built a dropdown menu in my form and I'd like to autofill
>>> another field with the value (not the display name) of whichever
>>> selection the user makes on the dropdown menu. I can't find
>>> anything in help which tells me how to do this and although I've
>>> found some references on other forums, I don't really know anything
>>> about VBA so I'm finding it very hard to follow. Could anyone
>>> break it down for me?
>>>
>>> Thanks!!

Graham Mayor

      30th Sep 2009
Oops - I didn't see this branch of the thread before replying

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
> Don't use a second form field for the second occurrence. Instead use
> a REF field to reference the bookmark assigned to the dropdown form
> field. Make sure that "Calculate on exit" is checked in the Form
> Field Options for the dropdown field. You can use Insert | Reference
> | Cross-reference to insert the REF field, selecting "Bookmark" as
> the reference type and "Bookmark text" under "Insert reference to."
>

> "themetapoet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi
>>
>> I've built a dropdown menu in my form and I'd like to autofill
>> another field
>> with the value (not the display name) of whichever selection the user
>> makes
>> on the dropdown menu. I can't find anything in help which tells me
>> how to do
>> this and although I've found some references on other forums, I don't
>> really
>> know anything about VBA so I'm finding it very hard to follow. Could
>> anyone
>> break it down for me?
>>
>> Thanks!!

Suzanne S. Barnhill

      30th Sep 2009

Well, if you didn't see it, the OP might not, either (one reason why I tend
to be wary of replying to the initial post after a long thread has
developed). I just hope the OP will see one or the other of our answers.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

news:(E-Mail Removed)...