Autochck program not found. Skipping autocheck

=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bCBHMDAwNTg4Mzg=?=

      24th Jun 2007
This message keeps coming up on a blue screen as I try to boot up. It then
starts to boot up again, and this continues in a loop. I've tried starting in
safe mode but it simply happens all over again. How can I get past this to
actually get through the booting up and into windows again?

Patrick Keenan

      24th Jun 2007
"Paul G00058838" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This message keeps coming up on a blue screen as I try to boot up. It then
> starts to boot up again, and this continues in a loop. I've tried starting
> in
> safe mode but it simply happens all over again. How can I get past this to
> actually get through the booting up and into windows again?

What kind of system is this, and what happened just before this started
appearing? Is it a Dell, and did you run a partitioning program? Did you
have a dual-boot setup with Linux?

This can happen if the XP partition has been set to not active, or to
hidden. .

HTH
-pk

Claymore

      24th Jun 2007
On Jun 24, 1:06 pm, Paul G00058838
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> This message keeps coming up on a blue screen as I try to boot up. It then
> starts to boot up again, and this continues in a loop. I've tried starting in
> safe mode but it simply happens all over again. How can I get past this to
> actually get through the booting up and into windows again?

Using your XP installation CD, boot to the Recovery Console

When you get to the command prompt window, type the following
commands:

chkntfs /x c:
There is a space before and after /x
This cancels the checkdsk on drive C:
If you have other drives or partitions, add them as in:
chkntfs /x c: d: e:

Next, type this command

Copy E:\i386\autochk.exe C:\Windows\System32\

Where E: is the drive letter of your CD drive. Change this for your
system, or cdnage directory (CD command) to get to your CD drive.
And there is a space after autochk.exe

In all this I'm assumimg that "Autochck" in your post is a typo for
"Autochk".

AndreZ

      20th Sep 2008
I have been having the same problem. When I start my computer a message pops
up saying autocheck.exe not found skipping. I know why it is not there. I got
a virus and Norton Internet security got rid of it but it also got rid of my
autocheck program. You can fix the problem by reinstalllling your operating
system. Unfortuantly, for me, I keep getting the same virus, all those
abandonware dos games I guess. Needless to say I allways end up with the
error message. I will try copying the autochk file from my win Vista disks
and see what happens. Perhaps you need to try and copy it as an
administrator. I get that all the time on Vista.