Audio cassette to PC convertor

Gav

      17th Jan 2010
AIUI there are two main methds to convert an audio cassette to a PC:

(1) line out on cassette player ---->
(perhaps isolating transformer) --->
line in on PC

(2) line out on cassette player --->
analog to digital convertor --->
USB port on PC

Does the USB way in method (2) inherently produce a higher (or lower)
quality result?

Are there any basic convertors for method (2) you would recommend? Price
is important.

Steve Walker

      17th Jan 2010
Gav wrote:
> AIUI there are two main methds to convert an audio cassette to a PC:
>
> (1) line out on cassette player ---->
> (perhaps isolating transformer) --->
> line in on PC
>
> (2) line out on cassette player --->
> analog to digital convertor --->
> USB port on PC
>
> Does the USB way in method (2) inherently produce a higher (or lower)
> quality result?
>
> Are there any basic convertors for method (2) you would recommend? Price
> is important.

If price is important, use method 1 - a 3.5mm to 3.5mm mini-phono cable will
cost about a quid, and the quality won't be any worse given that the source
is a cassette.

Nil

      18th Jan 2010
On 17 Jan 2010, Grinder <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

> It seems unreasonable to me that one method would /inherently/ be
> better than the other. It all should depend on the quality of the
> A2D converter -- either in a sound card or standalone.

This is the correct answer.

Rob Morley

      18th Jan 2010
On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 21:39:07 -0000
"Steve Walker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> If price is important, use method 1 - a 3.5mm to 3.5mm mini-phono
> cable

3.5mm is mini jack - phono is altogether different.

Bernard Peek

      18th Jan 2010
On 17/01/10 21:15, Gav wrote:
> AIUI there are two main methds to convert an audio cassette to a PC:
>
> (1) line out on cassette player ---->
> (perhaps isolating transformer) --->
> line in on PC
>
> (2) line out on cassette player --->
> analog to digital convertor --->
> USB port on PC
>
> Does the USB way in method (2) inherently produce a higher (or lower)
> quality result?

No, because the limiting factor will be the quality of the recording on
the tape. Any additional errors are likely to be negligible in comparison.

--
Bernard Peek