Asus laptop won't start

AN

      1st Sep 2010
My 3 year old ASUS A7M wide screen laptop won't start.
When pushing the button it appears to start up for 3 sec and then
immeadiately shuts down. Vista is not close to start up. Pushing F-keys
while starting doesn't do anything. The screen stays black without a
single digit. The only thing I hear is a fan starting and a click.
What can I do?

Y. Soserious

      1st Sep 2010
Contact ASUS support.
"AN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4c7e6519$0$18277$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl...
> My 3 year old ASUS A7M wide screen laptop won't start.
> When pushing the button it appears to start up for 3 sec and then
> immeadiately shuts down. Vista is not close to start up. Pushing F-keys
> while starting doesn't do anything. The screen stays black without a
> single digit. The only thing I hear is a fan starting and a click.
> What can I do?

John Wunderlich

      1st Sep 2010
AN <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:4c7e6519$0$18277$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl:

> My 3 year old ASUS A7M wide screen laptop won't start.
> When pushing the button it appears to start up for 3 sec and then
> immeadiately shuts down. Vista is not close to start up. Pushing
> F-keys while starting doesn't do anything. The screen stays black
> without a single digit. The only thing I hear is a fan starting
> and a click. What can I do?

Charge the battery.
Make sure your charger is working.

-- John

SC Tom

      1st Sep 2010

"AN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4c7e6519$0$18277$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl...
> My 3 year old ASUS A7M wide screen laptop won't start.
> When pushing the button it appears to start up for 3 sec and then
> immeadiately shuts down. Vista is not close to start up. Pushing F-keys
> while starting doesn't do anything. The screen stays black without a
> single digit. The only thing I hear is a fan starting and a click.
> What can I do?

Does it do the same when plugged in? Can you be sure the AC adaptor is good,
and/or the battery is charged?
After you hear the 'click,' does the fan continue to run? If so, it very
well may be a bad hard drive.
--
SC Tom
-There's no such thing as TMI when asking for tech support.

VanguardLH

      1st Sep 2010
AN wrote:

> My 3 year old ASUS A7M wide screen laptop won't start. When pushing
> the button it appears to start up for 3 sec and then immeadiately
> shuts down. Vista is not close to start up. Pushing F-keys while
> starting doesn't do anything. The screen stays black without a single
> digit. The only thing I hear is a fan starting and a click. What can
> I do?

Go see replies in the other newsgroups to which you MULTI-posted the
SAME message. Because you did not cross-post means you will have to
track replies in every newsgroup to which you separately multi-posted.
Cross-post so respondents don't end up duplicating what others have
already said. Learn to cross-post:

Since the OS is not coming up or even getting loaded, this is not an
appropriate newsgroup for your problem. It isn't an OS issue because
the OS isn't even getting loaded. You have a hardware problem. Go look
at replies to your post in the hardware groups to which you multi-
posted.

Stefan Patric

      1st Sep 2010
On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 16:37:16 +0200, AN wrote:

> My 3 year old ASUS A7M wide screen laptop won't start. When pushing the
> button it appears to start up for 3 sec and then immeadiately shuts
> down. Vista is not close to start up. Pushing F-keys while starting
> doesn't do anything. The screen stays black without a single digit. The
> only thing I hear is a fan starting and a click. What can I do?

Remove the battery and hook up the A/C power supply, power up and
see if you can get into BIOS: Press and hold the Delete key (sometimes
it's the Esc instead). If you get no display or the system continues to
quit after 3 secs., you probably have a hardware problem.

Also, you can try to boot from any Windows Install CD or a Linux LiveCD.
If neither will work, then most likely it's hardware. Contact Asus
Customer Service, first, before going to a computer repair tech.

Stef