ASRock motherboard won't permanantly save custom Vcore BIOS settings change.

Daniel Czajko

      11th Dec 2005
I've having an issue with my recently purchased ASRock 939Dual-SATA2. After
I change the VCore BIOS setting from Auto to Manual, and specify the
voltage, those saved changes stay saved only during the first power up after
existing the BIOS. If I reboot the machine, the settings revert the VCore
back to Automatic and its default Voltage. Other changed BIOS settings stay
changed forever, only the Vcore setting revert back to default, so it can't
be the CMOS battery.

Is my board defective or is there something else I should be changing in the
BIOS/board to make these adjustments save more permanently?

Anybody else experiencing something to what I am?

Paul

      11th Dec 2005
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Daniel Czajko"
<NO!SP!PP!(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I've having an issue with my recently purchased ASRock 939Dual-SATA2. After
> I change the VCore BIOS setting from Auto to Manual, and specify the
> voltage, those saved changes stay saved only during the first power up after
> existing the BIOS. If I reboot the machine, the settings revert the VCore
> back to Automatic and its default Voltage. Other changed BIOS settings stay
> changed forever, only the Vcore setting revert back to default, so it can't
> be the CMOS battery.
>
> Is my board defective or is there something else I should be changing in the
> BIOS/board to make these adjustments save more permanently?
>
> Anybody else experiencing something to what I am?

I don't have the board, and I'm just looking at the manual...

Have you set "Cool N' Quiet" disabled ? That is a better setting
when attempting to use custom overclock settings.

According to this review, the maximum voltage the board will
supply for Vcore, is 1.5V. What value of voltage are you
setting in the BIOS ? Is the value you selected, greater than
1.5V ?

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/823...ing/index.html

"In terms of overclocking there isnšt much available. There are
limited voltage options for CPU and memory. You canšt push the
CPU past 1.5v and memory past 2.8v. There is no HT or PCI-E
voltages, no divider locks of any type... "

This could be a BIOS bug. Contact Asrock and see if they know
about this behavior.

HTH,
Paul

Daniel Czajko

      12th Dec 2005
Cool n Quiet is disabled.

Default VCore voltage is 1.40 or 1.45 (can't remember now). I tried setting
it to .05 higher (I think there might be another .05 setting after that, but
I could be wrong. I'm not in front of that computer at the moment so I
can't check the BIOS). But as a test, I did try setting it to a lower VCore
setting. Same results, the saved settings revert back to the default.

I'll try your suggestion to contact ASRock's support, however, I tried
contacting them via email before (for a different reason), and I got no
reply. Still, it doesn't hurt to try again.

thanks

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Daniel Czajko"
> <NO!SP!PP!(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I've having an issue with my recently purchased ASRock 939Dual-SATA2.
>> After
>> I change the VCore BIOS setting from Auto to Manual, and specify the
>> voltage, those saved changes stay saved only during the first power up
>> after
>> existing the BIOS. If I reboot the machine, the settings revert the
>> VCore
>> back to Automatic and its default Voltage. Other changed BIOS settings
>> stay
>> changed forever, only the Vcore setting revert back to default, so it
>> can't
>> be the CMOS battery.
>>
>> Is my board defective or is there something else I should be changing in
>> the
>> BIOS/board to make these adjustments save more permanently?
>>
>> Anybody else experiencing something to what I am?

> I don't have the board, and I'm just looking at the manual...
>
> Have you set "Cool N' Quiet" disabled ? That is a better setting
> when attempting to use custom overclock settings.
>
> According to this review, the maximum voltage the board will
> supply for Vcore, is 1.5V. What value of voltage are you
> setting in the BIOS ? Is the value you selected, greater than
> 1.5V ?
>
> http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/823...ing/index.html
>
> "In terms of overclocking there isnšt much available. There are
> limited voltage options for CPU and memory. You canšt push the
> CPU past 1.5v and memory past 2.8v. There is no HT or PCI-E
> voltages, no divider locks of any type... "
>
> This could be a BIOS bug. Contact Asrock and see if they know
> about this behavior.
>
> HTH,
> Paul

Daniel Czajko

      14th Dec 2005
You were correct in guessing that it could be a BIOS bug. I observed the
behaviour with v 1.4. I flashed the BIOS with 1.3 today, and the problem
went away. There is a newer version (1.5) available now, maybe it got fixed
there, although the release notes state that the only change in 1.5 is
support for new CPUs.

thanks

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Daniel Czajko"
> <NO!SP!PP!(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I've having an issue with my recently purchased ASRock 939Dual-SATA2.
>> After
>> I change the VCore BIOS setting from Auto to Manual, and specify the
>> voltage, those saved changes stay saved only during the first power up
>> after
>> existing the BIOS. If I reboot the machine, the settings revert the
>> VCore
>> back to Automatic and its default Voltage. Other changed BIOS settings
>> stay
>> changed forever, only the Vcore setting revert back to default, so it
>> can't
>> be the CMOS battery.
>>
>> Is my board defective or is there something else I should be changing in
>> the
>> BIOS/board to make these adjustments save more permanently?
>>
>> Anybody else experiencing something to what I am?

> I don't have the board, and I'm just looking at the manual...
>
> Have you set "Cool N' Quiet" disabled ? That is a better setting
> when attempting to use custom overclock settings.
>
> According to this review, the maximum voltage the board will
> supply for Vcore, is 1.5V. What value of voltage are you
> setting in the BIOS ? Is the value you selected, greater than
> 1.5V ?
>
> http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/823...ing/index.html
>
> "In terms of overclocking there isnšt much available. There are
> limited voltage options for CPU and memory. You canšt push the
> CPU past 1.5v and memory past 2.8v. There is no HT or PCI-E
> voltages, no divider locks of any type... "
>
> This could be a BIOS bug. Contact Asrock and see if they know
> about this behavior.
>
> HTH,
> Paul

Daniel Czajko

      15th Dec 2005
An interesting finding:

bios 1.4 had the bug
bios 1.5 had the bug fixed
yet, bios 1.5 notes stated that only support for newer CPU was added in v
1.5. Obviously this bug was fixed, too, but there is no mention of it being
fixed in 1.5.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...