Arrrrrrrrrrrggg!

John

      22nd Jul 2007
Upgrading from hp mediacenter xp to vista.
Got "Computer restarted unexpectedly" error (See my message in this site)

It said to re-boot, start over.

I did... then it said, "To install you must install from a previous
version of xp.

Of course, I can't install from a previous version because the install
process has destroyed that... so now I'm left with a no system, a
useless computer and a useless install disk.

When I go through "repair" it says it can't find anything wrong.

This is just SOOO like Microsoft. It makes me wonder why I go through
this year after year with them. It is some sort of self torture wish or
something.

John

Carey Frisch [MVP]

      22nd Jul 2007
How to Install or Reinstall Windows Vista
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...522671033.mspx

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

---------------------------------------------------------------------------*-----

"John" wrote:

Upgrading from hp mediacenter xp to vista.
Got "Computer restarted unexpectedly" error (See my message in this site)

It said to re-boot, start over.

I did... then it said, "To install you must install from a previous
version of xp.

Of course, I can't install from a previous version because the install
process has destroyed that... so now I'm left with a no system, a
useless computer and a useless install disk.

When I go through "repair" it says it can't find anything wrong.

This is just SOOO like Microsoft. It makes me wonder why I go through
this year after year with them. It is some sort of self torture wish or
something.

John

John

      22nd Jul 2007
I did all this. Then I called support... on phone for and hour...
someone else will call tomorrow to try again.

John

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:

> How to Install or Reinstall Windows Vista
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...522671033.mspx

Kerry Brown

      22nd Jul 2007
Restore from your backup and start again. If you don't have a backup then
you will have to boot from a live Linux CD and copy your data to a CD/DVD or
USB device then restore to the factory setup using the HP restore procedure
and start from scratch.

Here are some tips for ensuring the upgrade goes smoothly.

1) Backup your PC.
2) Back it up again.
3) Test your backups.

If you skip the above steps please don't whine that the upgrade trashed all
your files. Any process that involves this many changes to the file system
is fraught with danger.

4) Run the latest version of the Upgrade Advisor and note anything it flags.
5) Uninstall (not disable) all antivirus, antispyware, firewall, disk
utility, and system utility programs even if the upgrade advisor doesn't
mention them. You will need to install Vista compatible versions after the
upgrade is finished.
6) Uninstall (not disable) all programs that the upgrade advisor flags as
possible problems. You will need to install Vista compatible versions after
the upgrade is finished.
7) If possible remove all hardware that the upgrade advisor flags as
incompatible.
8) Make sure you have Vista compatible drivers and software for all your
hardware devices burned to CD. Don't just look for drivers that the upgrade
advisor mentioned. If possible have drivers ready for everything.
9) Physically unplug any external devices like portable hard drives,
printers, card readers, flash drives, cameras, etc..
10) Run a chkdsk on all the partitions on all hard drives still connected.
11) Defrag the system and boot partitions.
12) Start the Vista upgrade process.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

news:%23J%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Upgrading from hp mediacenter xp to vista.
> Got "Computer restarted unexpectedly" error (See my message in this site)
>
> It said to re-boot, start over.
>
> I did... then it said, "To install you must install from a previous
> version of xp.
>

> Of course, I can't install from a previous version because the install
> process has destroyed that... so now I'm left with a no system, a useless
> computer and a useless install disk.
>
> When I go through "repair" it says it can't find anything wrong.
>
> This is just SOOO like Microsoft. It makes me wonder why I go through this
> year after year with them. It is some sort of self torture wish or
> something.
>
> John

dean-dean

      22nd Jul 2007