arrows won't move up and down to get to safe mode

Mopsy

      16th Feb 2008
I get into the black screen where I have the choices to select safe mode
etc., but neither the arrows on the num keys or the main keyboard will work
and I wind up in regular mode. I am getting some BSOD and want to go in and
remove a system 32 file that is said to be the cause of one of the BSOD
events. That file is labeled SONY and has VRDVC10.SPT in it. I have a Sony
DvDirect but it is not connected to the computer and that is the message on
the blue screen. I can remove it w/o going through safe mode (don't know if
that is a safe thing to do) and even if I can, I would like to get into safe
mode anyway. F8 will not put me there either. Can I do it through run?
Usually there is more than one way to do things. I have xp home. I found an
old article but it didn't fit my issue totally.

Mark L. Ferguson

      16th Feb 2008
Not sure if you can start windows or not, but if so, you can go to
start/run, and type:
msconfig

The Boot.ini tab has a checkbox for "/SAFEBOOT"

--
Was this helpful? Then click the Ratings button. Voting helps the web
interface.

Mark L. Ferguson

..
"Mopsy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I get into the black screen where I have the choices to select safe mode
> etc., but neither the arrows on the num keys or the main keyboard will
> work
> and I wind up in regular mode. I am getting some BSOD and want to go in
> and
> remove a system 32 file that is said to be the cause of one of the BSOD
> events. That file is labeled SONY and has VRDVC10.SPT in it. I have a
> Sony
> DvDirect but it is not connected to the computer and that is the message
> on
> the blue screen. I can remove it w/o going through safe mode (don't know
> if
> that is a safe thing to do) and even if I can, I would like to get into
> safe
> mode anyway. F8 will not put me there either. Can I do it through run?
> Usually there is more than one way to do things. I have xp home. I found
> an
> old article but it didn't fit my issue totally.

Mopsy

      16th Feb 2008
Yes, I can get into windows and will try this suggestion. Do you have any
thoughts why my arrows don't work. Does it have something to do with my
keyboard type--usb or what ever. Could I delete the file named below w/o
going to safe mode? F8 does not work for me either. Yet all the books say
do that as it boots. Frustrating. I have several BSODs popping up from time
to time but this is one I know is causing a challenge. Thanks for your help.
I am leaving home till late tonight so I am monitoring but not the rest of
today.

"Mopsy" wrote:

> I get into the black screen where I have the choices to select safe mode
> etc., but neither the arrows on the num keys or the main keyboard will work
> and I wind up in regular mode. I am getting some BSOD and want to go in and
> remove a system 32 file that is said to be the cause of one of the BSOD
> events. That file is labeled SONY and has VRDVC10.SPT in it. I have a Sony
> DvDirect but it is not connected to the computer and that is the message on
> the blue screen. I can remove it w/o going through safe mode (don't know if
> that is a safe thing to do) and even if I can, I would like to get into safe
> mode anyway. F8 will not put me there either. Can I do it through run?
> Usually there is more than one way to do things. I have xp home. I found an
> old article but it didn't fit my issue totally.

Mark L. Ferguson

      16th Feb 2008
Usually, the BIOS needs upgrading ('flashed' by software sometimes available
from a system manufacturer's web site.) You can use a "PS/2" (round instead
of flat) connection to a keyboard and avoid that.
Probably the best solution is running 'devmgmt.msc' to disable that device
you mention is not connected. There may also be something in add/remove that
you can uninstall.