Applle Mac Question.

jk

      6th Aug 2003
Real quickly - can Mac's be thrown onto a standard ethernet LAN switch??
Basically, I've got a bunch of PC's connected to my switch at
home...flatmates getting a second hand Mac and I'm wondering if it would be
able to go onto the network as well? It will be running Mac OS 8.7

cheers

- Kwaj

Gareth Church

      6th Aug 2003
"jk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f30d759$0$23607$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Real quickly - can Mac's be thrown onto a standard ethernet LAN switch??
> Basically, I've got a bunch of PC's connected to my switch at
> home...flatmates getting a second hand Mac and I'm wondering if it would

be
> able to go onto the network as well? It will be running Mac OS 8.7

Yep, easiest way would be to get a copy of DAVE. It lets you access Windows
shares through Chooser, and displays the Mac under Network Neighborhood on
the PCs.

Gareth

MCheu

      6th Aug 2003
On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 20:24:34 +1000, "jk"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote::

>Real quickly - can Mac's be thrown onto a standard ethernet LAN switch??
>Basically, I've got a bunch of PC's connected to my switch at
>home...flatmates getting a second hand Mac and I'm wondering if it would be
>able to go onto the network as well? It will be running Mac OS 8.7
>
>cheers
>
>- Kwaj

Yup. The networking protocols aren't platform specific. If you
wanted to, you could theoretically link up an iMac, a WindowsXP PC, a
Linux Machine (oh, let's say running an NEC Alpha Proc to make it
interesting), and an IBM mainframe on the same network -- assuming
they're all using the same protocol of course.

As I don't own a Mac, I can't tell you how hard it will be to set it
up for networking, but seeing as it takes me all of 10 (maybe 5 if I'm
in a hurry) to set up a WindowsXP machine, and maybe 30 minutes to do
it on a Linux machine, I don't see how it can take any more than that
on a Mac.

jk

      7th Aug 2003
OK - worked it out last night. It was actually pretty easy at the end of the
day.

Cheers guys