Applications on Desktop

=?Utf-8?B?cHNicm9nZ2lv?=

      24th Apr 2007
Is it true that it takes a LOT of memory when you have applications in your
desktop instead of shortcuts? also they do not backup if you use a backup
system?

Thanks
--
PS

Poprivet

      24th Apr 2007
psbroggio wrote:
> Is it true that it takes a LOT of memory when you have applications
> in your desktop instead of shortcuts? also they do not backup if you
> use a backup system?
>
> Thanks

No, it is not true. The Desktop is just a folder display of the contents of
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Desktop folder. Any files in that folder
show up on the desktop. You can set any folder to display on the desktop if
you knew how.

It's only an icon that has to be drawn, so whether it's a shortcut or
something else makes no perceptible difference in a clean running machine.

It uses a negligible amount of memory eithe way.

As for backup, ANY backup program would back them up; it's just a folder.

Put your source for that info on the "suspect" list. <g>

HTH
Pop`

Gordon

      24th Apr 2007

"psbroggio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is it true that it takes a LOT of memory when you have applications in
> your
> desktop instead of shortcuts?

Not memory, disk space. And no, no more space than if they are where they
are meant to be. (I've never heard of anyone installing applications to the
desktop - why would anyone WANT to?) The main problem with keeping DATA on
the desk top is that it is prone to corruption.

=?Utf-8?B?cHNicm9nZ2lv?=

      25th Apr 2007
Thank you Gordon, my employees tend to put all their files and applications
in their desktops instead of creating shortcuts, for some reason I thought
this would slow their machine and take up a lot of memory, so I guess I was
wrong?

Thanks!
--
PS

"Gordon" wrote:

> "psbroggio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Is it true that it takes a LOT of memory when you have applications in
> > your
> > desktop instead of shortcuts?

> Not memory, disk space. And no, no more space than if they are where they
> are meant to be. (I've never heard of anyone installing applications to the
> desktop - why would anyone WANT to?) The main problem with keeping DATA on
> the desk top is that it is prone to corruption.

Gordon

      25th Apr 2007
"psbroggio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thank you Gordon, my employees tend to put all their files and
> applications
> in their desktops instead of creating shortcuts, for some reason I thought
> this would slow their machine and take up a lot of memory, so I guess I
> was
> wrong?

When you say "applications" do you mean to say that they actually INSTALL
PROGRAMS to the desktop, rather than to the normal location which is
C:/Programs ? I suggest you implement some sort of lock-down so that they
either cannot install programs at all (do you have any control over what
they DO install?) or that they are constrained to install to the default
location, which is NOT the desktop.

=?Utf-8?B?cHNicm9nZ2lv?=

      25th Apr 2007
Thanks again for your quick reply. My employees actually install programs
into their desktop and they move their "My documents" folder to their desktop
as well as Excel, Word files etc. etc. this is why I'm thinking their
computers are slowing down because they use the "temporary" or "virtual"
desktop memory when they have all of this stuff in their individual desktops.
I want to create some kind of memo asking them to stop doing this but I want
to make sure that this activity is actually affecting the performance of
their computers.

Thanks again!
--
PS