App To Open OPML Files?

(PeteCresswell)

      19th Oct 2012
Outline Processor Markup Language...

Got a lot of Google hits, but there's too much noise.

Tried one from http://home.opml.org/ but it doesn't measure up.

Has anybody got something that works for them?

I don't need to edit, only view..
--
Pete Cresswell

VanguardLH

      19th Oct 2012
"PeteCresswell" wrote:

> Outline Processor Markup Language...
>
> Got a lot of Google hits, but there's too much noise.

It seems you did not create this file but someone else gave it to you.
So why not ask them what they use?

> Tried one from http://home.opml.org/ but it doesn't measure up.

Sorry, no idea what "doesn't measure up" means regarding what features
or behavior you expected but found absent.

> Has anybody got something that works for them?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OPML mentions a couple viewers, like:

Mozilla Thunderbird
Google Reader

It's been too long since I last trialed Thunderbird. You can ask in its
newsgroup which Mozilla's NNTP server carries (news.mozilla.org). As
for readers, I've never been interested in being deluged with miscellany
so I've never bothered with RSS or readers and apps that support it.
Some folks aren't happy about Google's changes to their Reader; see
http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives...gle_reader.php.
http://www.ehow.com/how_5308482_impo...le-reader.html
says how to import an .opml file into Google Reader.

If you're using Firefox as your web browser, there is an OPML extension
for it. I don't use either to comment on them.

From a Google search on "OPML reader", 5th hit in results was
http://www.zimbio.com/OPML+Readers.

From a search on "opml" at sourceforge.net, found a project page with a
link to the project's own web site at http://opml.sourceforge.net/.

(PeteCresswell)

      19th Oct 2012
Per VanguardLH:

>From a Google search on "OPML reader", 5th hit in results was
>http://www.zimbio.com/OPML+Readers.
>
>From a search on "opml" at sourceforge.net, found a project page with a
>link to the project's own web site at http://opml.sourceforge.net/.

Those are examples of what I meant by "Noise".

Zimbio has 10 listings - none of which look useful.

SourceForge just has an empty entry.

Last few years it seems like there has been a proliferation of
useless computer-generated web pages that are structured to come
up on hit lists when somebody Googles for something - but which
were not created or maintained by anybody... just the
application that generated them.

There's probably a term of art for that... but I don't know it.

OPML seems tb worse than most bc it appears to relate to RSS
feeds and some other online activities - as opposed to just
opening a local file.

So I figured I'd just cut to the chase and see if anybody had
something that actually worked for them.
--
Pete Cresswell