Anyone experience with Asus F1A55-V FM1 A55 and ubuntu

Ron Greve

      25th Feb 2012
Hi,

I want to install a recent OS on my server, but because I have installed so
much stuff on it that I rely on (mail server/web server/SVN server/personal
wiki etc.) That I haven't got the guts to upgrade the thing :-)

So I thought about just building a new system and replace it when it does
everything the old one does. I would like to install Ubuntu on it (same as
on the old).

I am thinking of the following system, anyone got any experience with one or
more components especially in combination with ubuntu. (I try to do it on
the cheap, because that's kind of guy I am :-) )

AMD Athlon II X4 651, 3.00GHz, 4MB, FM1 36 90,00

Asus F1A55-V FM1 A55 4xDDR3 ATX 36 79,00

Asus PCE-N15 Wireless Adapter 300MBit, PCIe, x1 24 35,00

G.Skill PK 6GB(3x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz CL7 99 66,00

Hitachi Deskstar 7K2000 2TB, 7200rpm, 32MB, SATA 36 109,00

Regards, Ron AF Greve

Paul

      25th Feb 2012
Ron Greve wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to install a recent OS on my server, but because I have installed
> so much stuff on it that I rely on (mail server/web server/SVN
> server/personal wiki etc.) That I haven't got the guts to upgrade the
> thing :-)
>
> So I thought about just building a new system and replace it when it
> does everything the old one does. I would like to install Ubuntu on it
> (same as on the old).
>
> I am thinking of the following system, anyone got any experience with
> one or more components especially in combination with ubuntu. (I try to
> do it on the cheap, because that's kind of guy I am :-) )
>
> AMD Athlon II X4 651, 3.00GHz, 4MB, FM1 36 90,00
>
> Asus F1A55-V FM1 A55 4xDDR3 ATX 36 79,00
>
> Asus PCE-N15 Wireless Adapter 300MBit, PCIe, x1 24 35,00
>
> G.Skill PK 6GB(3x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz CL7 99 66,00
>
> Hitachi Deskstar 7K2000 2TB, 7200rpm, 32MB, SATA 36 109,00
>

> Regards, Ron AF Greve

I could find one reviewer on Newegg, using a motherboard with A55 chipset,
that was using Ubuntu on it. So that implies the A55 chipset storage
ports (SATA) aren't a problem.

There are socket FM1 processors, with or without built-in graphics.
Your 651 choice doesn't have graphics in the CPU, as near as I can
determine. Which means, when it comes to graphics drivers, you just
have to make sure your graphics card purchase, has Linux drivers.

http://www.cpu-world.com/Sockets/Socket%20FM1.html

Example of FM1 socket device with build-in graphics
"HD 6550D GPU runs at 600 MHz and has 400 shader" - A8-3870K

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AM...70WNZ43GX.html

And one without.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AM...XWNGXBOX).html

For RAM, I'd be looking at a 2x4GB pair, as 4GB DDR3 modules seem
to be pretty cheap these days.

The customer review here for Asus PCE-N15, says "It is also fully
supported under Kubuntu 11.10! Finally, no third party drivers!".

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...74&Tpk=PCE-N15

There are no on-topic posts in the F1A55-V section of vip.asus.com
forums at all, so no Ubuntu experience there.

Paul

Ron Greve

      25th Feb 2012
>>"Paul" wrote in message news:jibgkv$rr4$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply!

>>Ron Greve wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I want to install a recent OS on my server, but because I have installed
>>> so much stuff on it that I rely on (mail server/web server/SVN
>>> server/personal wiki etc.) That I haven't got the guts to upgrade the
>>> thing :-)
>>>
>>> So I thought about just building a new system and replace it when it
>>> does everything the old one does. I would like to install Ubuntu on it
>>> (same as on the old).
>>>
>>> I am thinking of the following system, anyone got any experience with
>>> one or more components especially in combination with ubuntu. (I try to
>>> do it on the cheap, because that's kind of guy I am :-) )
>>>
>>> AMD Athlon II X4 651, 3.00GHz, 4MB, FM1 36 90,00
>>>
>>> Asus F1A55-V FM1 A55 4xDDR3 ATX 36 79,00
>>>
>>> Asus PCE-N15 Wireless Adapter 300MBit, PCIe, x1 24 35,00
>>>
>>> G.Skill PK 6GB(3x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz CL7 99 66,00
>>>
>>> Hitachi Deskstar 7K2000 2TB, 7200rpm, 32MB, SATA 36 109,00
>>>

>>> Regards, Ron AF Greve
>>>

>>I could find one reviewer on Newegg, using a motherboard with A55 chipset,
>>that was using Ubuntu on it. So that implies the A55 chipset storage
>>ports (SATA) aren't a problem.
>>
>>There are socket FM1 processors, with or without built-in graphics.
>>Your 651 choice doesn't have graphics in the CPU, as near as I can
>>determine. Which means, when it comes to graphics drivers, you just
>>have to make sure your graphics card purchase, has Linux drivers.

Didn't look at the GC, I thought because there was a VGA connector it would
have onboard graphics. It will be a headless PC but when something goes
wrong it is nice to see something on the screen. Probably will plugin some
old card, I think I have an old card PCI lying around somewhere.

>>http://www.cpu-world.com/Sockets/Socket%20FM1.html
>>
>>Example of FM1 socket device with build-in graphics
>>"HD 6550D GPU runs at 600 MHz and has 400 shader" - A8-3870K
>>
>>http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AM...70WNZ43GX.html
>>
>>And one without.
>>
>>http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AM...XWNGXBOX).html
>>
>>For RAM, I'd be looking at a 2x4GB pair, as 4GB DDR3 modules seem
>>to be pretty cheap these days.

Ok, I had a lot of problems with ram/motherboard with my last PC (a few
years back). Swapped both motherboard and ram and it still wasn't stable (in
the end it was the dual channel mode that just didn't work for DDR3, though
both modules were sold as a pair). So wanted to stick to the qvl list (and
stuff available from my vendor). But I have another look.

>>The customer review here for Asus PCE-N15, says "It is also fully
>>supported under Kubuntu 11.10! Finally, no third party drivers!".
>>

>>There are no on-topic posts in the F1A55-V section of vip.asus.com
>>forums at all, so no Ubuntu experience there.
>>
>> Paul

Thanks again for the comments. I have to give the thing a bit more thought.

Regards, Ron