Any way to COMPLETELY remove Java???

MarkR

      16th Oct 2003
I think my Java in my computer is completely messed up. Is there any way
that I can totally remove ALL references to my Java and then reinstall it?
If anyone knows how, can you please walk me through the COMPLETE removal and
where I can redownload it? Thanks again.

Regards,
Mark

R. McCarty

      16th Oct 2003
For Sun Java, simply use the Uninstaller available in Control
Panel - Add Remove.

For the Microsoft VM
1.. From the Start menu, select Run.
2.. Enter the command
RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection java.inf,UnInstall to start the
uninstall process
3.. Click Yes to the confirmation, then select Reboot.
4.. After the machine restarts, delete the following items:
a.. the \%systemroot%\java folder
b.. java.pnf from the \%systemroot%\inf folder
c.. jview.exe and wjview.exe from the \%systemroot%\system32 folder
d.. The HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Java VM registry subkey
e.. The HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\AdvancedOptions\JAVA_VM registry subkey (to remove the Microsoft
Internet Explorer (IE) options)
I would uninstall "Both" if you have both - Reboot and then go to the Sun
Java
download page and get the latest version.

"MarkR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:tZDjb.26843$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I think my Java in my computer is completely messed up. Is there any way
> that I can totally remove ALL references to my Java and then reinstall it?
> If anyone knows how, can you please walk me through the COMPLETE removal

and
> where I can redownload it? Thanks again.
>
> Regards,
> Mark

MarkR

      16th Oct 2003
"R. McCarty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:q5Ejb.58992$(E-Mail Removed)...
> For Sun Java, simply use the Uninstaller available in Control
> Panel - Add Remove.

I can't uninstall one of the Java programs from the Add/Remove in the
Control Panel. It's called Java 2 Runtime Enviroment, SE v1.4.1_03. I
uninstalled the other ones that had Java in the name, but this one I get an
error that states: An installation support file could not be installed. The
system cannot find the file specified. Any ideas? I'm still working on the
rest below.

Mark

> For the Microsoft VM
> 1.. From the Start menu, select Run.
> 2.. Enter the command
> RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection java.inf,UnInstall to start the
> uninstall process
> 3.. Click Yes to the confirmation, then select Reboot.
> 4.. After the machine restarts, delete the following items:
> a.. the \%systemroot%\java folder
> b.. java.pnf from the \%systemroot%\inf folder
> c.. jview.exe and wjview.exe from the \%systemroot%\system32 folder
> d.. The HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Java VM registry subkey
> e.. The HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
> Explorer\AdvancedOptions\JAVA_VM registry subkey (to remove the Microsoft
> Internet Explorer (IE) options)
> I would uninstall "Both" if you have both - Reboot and then go to the Sun
> Java
> download page and get the latest version.
>
> "MarkR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:tZDjb.26843$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I think my Java in my computer is completely messed up. Is there any

way
> > that I can totally remove ALL references to my Java and then reinstall

it?
> > If anyone knows how, can you please walk me through the COMPLETE removal

> and
> > where I can redownload it? Thanks again.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Mark

MarkR

      16th Oct 2003
There's also a Java Plug-in in the Control Panel that I can't get rid of.
And in the registry, I'm not sure what you want me to delete when you say
"subkey". I don't want to screw anything up. Thanks again.

Mark
"R. McCarty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:q5Ejb.58992$(E-Mail Removed)...
> For Sun Java, simply use the Uninstaller available in Control
> Panel - Add Remove.
>
> For the Microsoft VM
> 1.. From the Start menu, select Run.
> 2.. Enter the command
> RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection java.inf,UnInstall to start the
> uninstall process
> 3.. Click Yes to the confirmation, then select Reboot.
> 4.. After the machine restarts, delete the following items:
> a.. the \%systemroot%\java folder
> b.. java.pnf from the \%systemroot%\inf folder
> c.. jview.exe and wjview.exe from the \%systemroot%\system32 folder
> d.. The HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Java VM registry subkey
> e.. The HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
> Explorer\AdvancedOptions\JAVA_VM registry subkey (to remove the Microsoft
> Internet Explorer (IE) options)
> I would uninstall "Both" if you have both - Reboot and then go to the Sun
> Java
> download page and get the latest version.
>
> "MarkR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:tZDjb.26843$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I think my Java in my computer is completely messed up. Is there any

way
> > that I can totally remove ALL references to my Java and then reinstall

it?
> > If anyone knows how, can you please walk me through the COMPLETE removal

> and
> > where I can redownload it? Thanks again.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Mark

R. McCarty

      16th Oct 2003
In Control Panel, Add/Remove programs are two entries.
Java and Java Web Start - You need to uninstall both of
them. Then follow the process below to remove the MS
Java engine.
Before you modify a Registry Key just export it out as a
..Reg file. If anything goes wrong you can double-click the
..Reg file to restore it into the registry.

"MarkR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:wOEjb.26999$(E-Mail Removed)...
> There's also a Java Plug-in in the Control Panel that I can't get rid of.
> And in the registry, I'm not sure what you want me to delete when you say
> "subkey". I don't want to screw anything up. Thanks again.
>
> Mark
> "R. McCarty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:q5Ejb.58992$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > For Sun Java, simply use the Uninstaller available in Control
> > Panel - Add Remove.
> >
> > For the Microsoft VM
> > 1.. From the Start menu, select Run.
> > 2.. Enter the command
> > RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection java.inf,UnInstall to start the
> > uninstall process
> > 3.. Click Yes to the confirmation, then select Reboot.
> > 4.. After the machine restarts, delete the following items:
> > a.. the \%systemroot%\java folder
> > b.. java.pnf from the \%systemroot%\inf folder
> > c.. jview.exe and wjview.exe from the \%systemroot%\system32 folder
> > d.. The HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Java VM registry

subkey
> > e.. The HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
> > Explorer\AdvancedOptions\JAVA_VM registry subkey (to remove the

Microsoft
> > Internet Explorer (IE) options)
> > I would uninstall "Both" if you have both - Reboot and then go to the

Sun
> > Java
> > download page and get the latest version.
> >
> > "MarkR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:tZDjb.26843$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I think my Java in my computer is completely messed up. Is there any

> way
> > > that I can totally remove ALL references to my Java and then reinstall

> it?
> > > If anyone knows how, can you please walk me through the COMPLETE

removal
> > and
> > > where I can redownload it? Thanks again.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Mark

MarkR

      17th Oct 2003
well i still can't delete that java program from the control panel and the
one from add/remove programs. i also still don't know which subkeys to
delete in the registry. i get to the folder and then try and delete and i
get an error, so i guess that's out. i think i got in over my head and i'll
just have to live with a f***ed up computer. my fault since i messed it up
to begin with. thanks so much for your help though.

mark
"R. McCarty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:CUEjb.59024$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In Control Panel, Add/Remove programs are two entries.
> Java and Java Web Start - You need to uninstall both of
> them. Then follow the process below to remove the MS
> Java engine.
> Before you modify a Registry Key just export it out as a
> .Reg file. If anything goes wrong you can double-click the
> .Reg file to restore it into the registry.
>
> "MarkR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:wOEjb.26999$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > There's also a Java Plug-in in the Control Panel that I can't get rid

of.
> > And in the registry, I'm not sure what you want me to delete when you

say
> > "subkey". I don't want to screw anything up. Thanks again.
> >
> > Mark
> > "R. McCarty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:q5Ejb.58992$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > For Sun Java, simply use the Uninstaller available in Control
> > > Panel - Add Remove.
> > >
> > > For the Microsoft VM
> > > 1.. From the Start menu, select Run.
> > > 2.. Enter the command
> > > RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection java.inf,UnInstall to start the
> > > uninstall process
> > > 3.. Click Yes to the confirmation, then select Reboot.
> > > 4.. After the machine restarts, delete the following items:
> > > a.. the \%systemroot%\java folder
> > > b.. java.pnf from the \%systemroot%\inf folder
> > > c.. jview.exe and wjview.exe from the \%systemroot%\system32

folder
> > > d.. The HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Java VM registry

> subkey
> > > e.. The HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
> > > Explorer\AdvancedOptions\JAVA_VM registry subkey (to remove the

> Microsoft
> > > Internet Explorer (IE) options)
> > > I would uninstall "Both" if you have both - Reboot and then go to the

> Sun
> > > Java
> > > download page and get the latest version.
> > >
> > > "MarkR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:tZDjb.26843$(E-Mail Removed)...

any
> > way

reinstall