Any specialized tools for doing Win2K AD, DDNS & DHCP sanity checking?

Robert Gordon

      19th Aug 2003
Is there a way to do an overall sanity check on my domain's AD, DDNS and
DHCP services?

I'm getting some weird response issues from my Exchange 2000 server (SP3),
which I believe are reverse lookup related, and I want to be able to do a
complete sanity check on the directory and DNS services on my DCs to make
sure that everything is running the way they're supposed to run.

Regards,

Rob Gordon

Herb Martin

      19th Aug 2003
> Is there a way to do an overall sanity check on my domain's AD, DDNS and
> DHCP services?

DCDiag for DCs and NetDiag for non-DCs

They are in the Support Tools directory of the server CD-ROM.

There is not special report in these conserning DHCP but the
DCs, DNS, and the network are "sanity" checked.

Best way to start is to run them without output directed to a file,
and then open the text file in notepad etc and search for FAIL,
WARN, ERROR.

(These tools default to doing almost all test so there is no reason
at first to mess with a bunch of switches except you might use
the "output" file option since EARLY versions were prone to give
different results if you "redirected" to a file using the ">" command
mechanism.)

Jimmy Andersson

      19th Aug 2003
There's a good KB article about diagnostics, troubleshooting and recovery
at:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...i_add_vost.asp

Regards,
/Jimmy