Any LCD monitor or multimedia keyboard with working USB hub?

lbrtchx@gmail.com

      18th Mar 2009
~
Many devices such as keyboards and monitors have a bulit-in USB hub,
but the thing is they would only handle pen drives
~
I do know a desktop or laptop would handle micro drives, but I need
for the USB hub of such a peripheral to do so
~
Do you know of any LCD monitor or multimedia keyboard which would
power an external micro drive?
~
Thanks
lbrtchx

Patrick Vervoorn

      18th Mar 2009
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>~
> Many devices such as keyboards and monitors have a bulit-in USB hub,
>but the thing is they would only handle pen drives
>~
> I do know a desktop or laptop would handle micro drives, but I need
>for the USB hub of such a peripheral to do so
>~
> Do you know of any LCD monitor or multimedia keyboard which would
>power an external micro drive?

It has been my understanding the HP LP2475w has fully functional USB
ports.

Regards, Patrick.

rjn

      21st Mar 2009
On Mar 18, 4:52*am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> *Many devices such as keyboards and monitors have a bulit-in USB hub,
> but the thing is they would only handle pen drives
> *I do know a desktop or laptop would handle micro drives, but I need
> for the USB hub of such a peripheral to do so

You need to know what to ask/look for.
The wiki page on USB is a reasonable introduction.

You probably want a monitor that has a USB which is both:
"High Speed" and
"full power".
This would be a USB 2.0 or 3.0 hub with the red HS
crest or SS on the USB logo. Note: a hub can still be
USB 2.0 and yet support only speeds lower than "High".

Many monitor hubs are likely only "Full Speed", which
is marginal for mass storage, or "Low Speed" which is
too slow. You are unlikely to have need for "Super Speed" yet.

You also need to know how the hub is powered. If it is bus
powered (by the USB host PC, and not the monitor or
separate power brick), it probably only supports low power
(1 unit load) devices (kbds, mice).

If the device is "self powered" (i.e. by the monitor), does it
matter that it might be off when the monitor is switched off?
Monitor makers rarely bother to document this. (It's also
possible, but unlikely, that the hub would be powered
down when the monitor enters power-saving mode).

Or just buy a cheap HS2.0 hub & brick and some foam
mounting tape.

--
Regards, Bob Niland (E-Mail Removed)