Any important drawbacks to Dynamic Disks?

GettingByOk

      22nd Mar 2010
Hi,

I'm formatting a 2 TB RAID-0 volume right now as a dynamic disk. It's a
2-drive RAID-0 set and it's my L: disk. My C: drive is also RAID-0 but it's a
Basic disk. Two questions:

1) Any drawbacks to Dynamic disks? Couldn't find any in the doc except for
the same kind as with NTFS, you can't do certain things w/ older OS's that I
don't need to do anyway.

2) Any significant risks or problems if I convert my C: drive from Basic to
Dynamic?

Thanks,
Robert

Shenan Stanley

      22nd Mar 2010
GettingByOk wrote:
> I'm formatting a 2 TB RAID-0 volume right now as a dynamic disk.
> It's a 2-drive RAID-0 set and it's my L: disk. My C: drive is also
> RAID-0 but it's a Basic disk. Two questions:
>
> 1) Any drawbacks to Dynamic disks? Couldn't find any in the doc
> except for the same kind as with NTFS, you can't do certain things
> w/ older OS's that I don't need to do anyway.
>
> 2) Any significant risks or problems if I convert my C: drive from
> Basic to Dynamic?

Actually - I would ask myself this question, "What do *I* gain by using a
dynamic disk over a basic disk in my configuration...?" --> So - if you
asked yourself that - what is your answer? ;-)

Assuming you have read this?
http://www.dynamic-disk.com/differen...amic-disk.html

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

GettingByOk

      8th Apr 2010
Shenan,

Thanks, that article is very helpful. At its end there's another article
explaining the tradeoffs using dynamic disks, which is always very useful to
know. Based on that, I'll leave my 2 TB eSATA as a dynamic disk (which is how
I was formatting it anyway) and leave my C: drive as a basic disk. I might
add another eSATA and do a RAID-1 across both RAID-0 eSATA's but my basic C:
drive doesn't seem to be broken so no need to fix it

Thanks again,
Robert