any freeware to recover formatted data?

Kappa

      18th Jan 2005
Hello

I formatted my 20GB IBM hard disk along with one 13 GB NTFS partition
while installing Linux. Is there any FREE software around to get that
formatted partition back. PC Inspector has one utility but that works
only for FAT32. I also tried couple of other freewares but they are
only capable of undeleting files, nothing brings back files from
formatted drives. Others asks me to pay, but I want to really look
around for a freeware before I pay for those utilities.
Thanks in advance.

Kappa

Ziggy

      18th Jan 2005
On 18 Jan 2005 05:04:06 -0800, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage you
wrote:

>Hello
>
>I formatted my 20GB IBM hard disk along with one 13 GB NTFS partition
>while installing Linux. Is there any FREE software around to get that
>formatted partition back. PC Inspector has one utility but that works
>only for FAT32. I also tried couple of other freewares but they are
>only capable of undeleting files, nothing brings back files from
>formatted drives. Others asks me to pay, but I want to really look
>around for a freeware before I pay for those utilities.
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Kappa

Look at GetDataBack from www.runtime.org

It is not free, but you can download and run it against your drive and
it will tell you what can be recovered. Then you pay for a key to let
you copy saved data to another drive. Worth looking at just to see
what may be saveable.

Oh, and it can be used as a plug-in with a bootable WinPE CD.

Regards.

Antoine Leca

      18th Jan 2005
http://www.partitionsupport.com/utilities.html

Post the results here if you are unsure.

Antoine

Joep

      18th Jan 2005
"Antoine Leca" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:41ed355b$0$20323$(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.partitionsupport.com/utilities.html
>
> Post the results here if you are unsure.

You're gonna look at it and answer him?

--
Joep

zero

      18th Jan 2005

its http://www.partitionsupport.com/utilities.htm

"Antoine Leca" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:41ed355b$0$20323$(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.partitionsupport.com/utilities.html
>
> Post the results here if you are unsure.
>

> Antoine

Kappa

      19th Jan 2005
Hello,

I downloaded the software but it seems a bit complicated. First I ran
Findpart.exe to get cylinder, sector etc then FindNTFS.exe by giving it
cylinder, sector info but it says sector unreachable. I also downloaded
Paragon Partition Manager 6.0 Demo and it showed the following picture
of partition:

Disk 2 - 19618 MB
L Ext3 - 5993.0 MB (Primary)

L Extended - 13.2 GB
L LinuxSwap2 - 1098.2 MB (Logical)

L Unformatted - 12527.2 MB (Logical)

I wanted to use Ext - 5993.0 MB Primary for Linux, but I messed up and
I left behing with that.

Now I want to recover Unformatted - 12527.2 MB. I know it was NTFS
previously. Partition Manager has Undelete wizard but it says ther is
no unallocated partition on disk 2.
Any suggestions will be welcome.

Kappa

Antoine Leca

      19th Jan 2005
En 38f56$41ed4832$3eddca68$(E-Mail Removed)-service.com, Joep va escriure:
> "Antoine Leca" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:41ed355b$0$20323$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Post the results here if you are unsure.

> You're gonna look at it and answer him?

What do you mean? Thta I do not understand the output, and that it is
hopeless to try to give him a hand?

It was very difficult from the first post to have some technical idea about
the problem, much less actual datas. With another post things might be of
another colour. Are, actually.

Antoine

Antoine Leca

      19th Jan 2005
En http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/(E-Mail Removed), Kappa va escriure:
> I downloaded the software but it seems a bit complicated. First I
> ran Findpart.exe to get cylinder, sector etc then FindNTFS.exe by
> giving it cylinder, sector info but it says sector unreachable.

Would it have been difficult to copy the CHS you gave? Or the output from
findpart?
Actually the error message "unreachable" does not appear in the programs
available, so I cannot even correctly understand what went wrong.
A possible mistake could have been to forget the drive number.

> Disk 2 - 19618 MB
> L Ext3 - 5993.0 MB (Primary)
>>

> L Extended - 13.2 GB
> L LinuxSwap2 - 1098.2 MB (Logical)
>>

> L Unformatted - 12527.2 MB (Logical)
>
> I wanted to use Ext - 5993.0 MB Primary for Linux, but I messed up
> and I left behing with that.

Sorry, I did understand that at the beginning you did use Linux as weel as
NT, and had done the partionning using some Linux tool. But now it appears
possible you install a new Linux from nothing, and something went wrong?
Correct? How was it before? A 20GB drive entirely NTFS?

Antoine