AntiSpyware Remains Active after every scan- freezes computer

=?Utf-8?B?SmVuRA==?=

      26th Oct 2005

When I first downloaded the program I had no problems, but since the last
update (Version 1.0.615) the program remains in an "active" state after every
scan.

Set Up:
I have the program set up to hide the icon on the system tray.
I have enabled the real-time spyware threat protection.
I have enabled the AntiSpyware security agents on start-up.
I have scheduled the AntiSpyware program to run a deep scan daily.
Problem:
When the Microsoft AntiSpyware scanning engine scans my computer, my entire
system slows down and freezes on and off. But once the scan is finished, the
program remains active (the icon is visable in the tool bar) which continues
to freeze up my computer. Each time I have to log off and reboot my computer
to stop the AntiSpyware program.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is there a solution?

Dave M

      27th Oct 2005
Hi Jen;
Yes, I think that's by design with RTP (real time protection). All the security
agents are constantly monitoring your system for activity. Are you using MSAS on
an older system or one with less memory? I barely notice MSAS running unless
it's in the middle of a scan, but I have a very fast system with a Gig of mem.
Unfortunately, I can't give you any good recommendations other than selectively
disabling some of the more esoteric RTP agents of the 59 total to see what
happens, but RTP is the real benefit of running MSAS. Even disabling all the
security agents (right click on the tray icon) keeps MSAS showing active when
hovering over that icon, by the way (bug?)
--
Regards, Dave

JenD wrote:
> When I first downloaded the program I had no problems, but since the last
> update (Version 1.0.615) the program remains in an "active" state after every
> scan.
>
> Set Up:
> I have the program set up to hide the icon on the system tray.
> I have enabled the real-time spyware threat protection.
> I have enabled the AntiSpyware security agents on start-up.
> I have scheduled the AntiSpyware program to run a deep scan daily.
> Problem:
> When the Microsoft AntiSpyware scanning engine scans my computer, my entire
> system slows down and freezes on and off. But once the scan is finished, the
> program remains active (the icon is visable in the tool bar) which continues
> to freeze up my computer. Each time I have to log off and reboot my computer
> to stop the AntiSpyware program.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is there a solution?

New Member

      17th Nov 2005
I can't help but I have EXACTLY the same problem.