Analog capture card

Adam

      29th Apr 2009
I have an analog capture card, and am wondering what the optimal specs
(frame rate, resolution) for capturing video would be, both for S-Video and
the Red-White-Yellow cables. Thank you in advance for your help.

- Adam

Curious

      29th Apr 2009
The NTSC standard for S-Video or Yellow composite video in North America is
SD 480i. The Red cable is for right channel audio and the white cable is
for left channel audio.

"Adam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have an analog capture card, and am wondering what the optimal specs
> (frame rate, resolution) for capturing video would be, both for S-Video
> and the Red-White-Yellow cables. Thank you in advance for your help.
>
> - Adam

Adam

      29th Apr 2009
By "SD 480i" I know you mean 640x480; what does "SD" mean?

Thanks.

- Adam

"Curious" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> The NTSC standard for S-Video or Yellow composite video in North America
> is SD 480i. The Red cable is for right channel audio and the white cable
> is for left channel audio.
>
> "Adam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have an analog capture card, and am wondering what the optimal specs
>> (frame rate, resolution) for capturing video would be, both for S-Video
>> and the Red-White-Yellow cables. Thank you in advance for your help.
>>
>> - Adam

Curious

      29th Apr 2009
Standard Definition

"Adam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> By "SD 480i" I know you mean 640x480; what does "SD" mean?
>
> Thanks.
>
> - Adam
>
> "Curious" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> The NTSC standard for S-Video or Yellow composite video in North America
>> is SD 480i. The Red cable is for right channel audio and the white cable
>> is for left channel audio.
>>
>> "Adam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I have an analog capture card, and am wondering what the optimal specs
>>> (frame rate, resolution) for capturing video would be, both for S-Video
>>> and the Red-White-Yellow cables. Thank you in advance for your help.
>>>
>>> - Adam

Adam

      1st May 2009
Another question - I had always thought that S-Video was higher quality than
Yellow composite. But if I understand correctly, you said that the NTSC
standard is the same for both of them...?

"Curious" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Standard Definition
>
> "Adam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
>> By "SD 480i" I know you mean 640x480; what does "SD" mean?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> - Adam
>>
>> "Curious" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> The NTSC standard for S-Video or Yellow composite video in North America
>>> is SD 480i. The Red cable is for right channel audio and the white
>>> cable is for left channel audio.
>>>
>>> "Adam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Curious

      1st May 2009
Yes, S-video is of higher quality since the color signal is separate from
the B&W video signal, however the NTSC resolution standard for both of them
is the same

"Adam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Another question - I had always thought that S-Video was higher quality
> than Yellow composite. But if I understand correctly, you said that the
> NTSC standard is the same for both of them...?
>
> "Curious" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Standard Definition
>>
>> "Adam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> By "SD 480i" I know you mean 640x480; what does "SD" mean?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> - Adam
>>>
>>> "Curious" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

Adam Casada

      2nd May 2009
So how do I take advantage of the higher quality in S-video?

"Curious" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, S-video is of higher quality since the color signal is separate from
> the B&W video signal, however the NTSC resolution standard for both of
> them is the same
>
> "Adam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Another question - I had always thought that S-Video was higher quality
>> than Yellow composite. But if I understand correctly, you said that the
>> NTSC standard is the same for both of them...?
>>
>> "Curious" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Standard Definition
>>>
>>> "Adam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:#(E-Mail Removed)...

Curious

      2nd May 2009
If you have a card that will accept S-video or composite then you just send
S-v

"Adam Casada" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> So how do I take advantage of the higher quality in S-video?
>
> "Curious" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Yes, S-video is of higher quality since the color signal is separate from
>> the B&W video signal, however the NTSC resolution standard for both of
>> them is the same
>>
>> "Adam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Another question - I had always thought that S-Video was higher quality
>>> than Yellow composite. But if I understand correctly, you said that the
>>> NTSC standard is the same for both of them...?
>>>
>>> "Curious" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

RalfG

      4th May 2009
The quality difference is inherent in the connection type. An S-Video
connection introduces less degradation into the video than composite does.
Note that cable length and quality also enter into it. S-Video does not
transmit Audio, so you will still need to connect the two (red-white) audio
cables when you use S-video.

Resolution and picture quality are related but they are two different
characteristics. The one describes the total amount of image data in each
video frame, the other is about the difference in appearance between the
source video and how it ends up looking on-screen (or as a capture file)
using either one of the two different types of cable.

"Adam Casada" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> So how do I take advantage of the higher quality in S-video?
>
> "Curious" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Yes, S-video is of higher quality since the color signal is separate from
>> the B&W video signal, however the NTSC resolution standard for both of
>> them is the same
>>
>> "Adam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Another question - I had always thought that S-Video was higher quality
>>> than Yellow composite. But if I understand correctly, you said that the
>>> NTSC standard is the same for both of them...?
>>>
>>> "Curious" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Graham Hughes

      5th May 2009
To get the best from s-video you also need an s-video original signal from
an s-video player.

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media