Analog camera to Digital camera to PC - Video but no sound!

J-Johnson

      20th Oct 2004
I am connecting an analog camcorder to a digial trying to
convert and record to my PC. The analog is connected to
the digical camcorder via S-Video for the video. For the
audio, the digital camera came with a 3 prong to 1
connection (i.e. red, yellow and white merge into one
conection to go into the digital camera).

I have the sound jacks connected to the analog camera with
the video jack unplugged and s-video conecting the 2
cameras together. I have the digital camera connected to
the PC via firewire.

I can record the video fine, but no sound gets recorded.
Help!

PapaJohn \(MVP\)

      20th Oct 2004
Seems your setup is fine.... you should be hearing it on both camcorders as
it plays and records on the computer.... are you hearing it on the digital
one?

Try recording a test clip onto a tape in the digital camcorder without it
connected to the computer to verify it's going into the digital camcorder
OK.
--
PapaJohn

Movie Maker 2 - www.papajohn.org
Photo Story 2 - www.photostory.papajohn.org

..
"J-Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:00c001c4b6e4$3b91b4e0$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am connecting an analog camcorder to a digial trying to
> convert and record to my PC. The analog is connected to
> the digical camcorder via S-Video for the video. For the
> audio, the digital camera came with a 3 prong to 1
> connection (i.e. red, yellow and white merge into one
> conection to go into the digital camera).
>
> I have the sound jacks connected to the analog camera with
> the video jack unplugged and s-video conecting the 2
> cameras together. I have the digital camera connected to
> the PC via firewire.
>
> I can record the video fine, but no sound gets recorded.
> Help!

=?Utf-8?B?Q0hNQlI=?=

      20th Oct 2004
This resembles the problem that analog AV input to Windows Movie Maker
records the Video but not the Audio. Is a video card (ours an ATI
All-In-Wonder 9000)-Movie Maker conflict, but trying to install a new driver
not possible due to some conflict in ATI drivers/site download.

"PapaJohn (MVP)" wrote:

> Seems your setup is fine.... you should be hearing it on both camcorders as
> it plays and records on the computer.... are you hearing it on the digital
> one?
>
> Try recording a test clip onto a tape in the digital camcorder without it
> connected to the computer to verify it's going into the digital camcorder
> OK.
> --
> PapaJohn
>
> Movie Maker 2 - www.papajohn.org
> Photo Story 2 - www.photostory.papajohn.org
>
> ..
> "J-Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:00c001c4b6e4$3b91b4e0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I am connecting an analog camcorder to a digial trying to
> > convert and record to my PC. The analog is connected to
> > the digical camcorder via S-Video for the video. For the
> > audio, the digital camera came with a 3 prong to 1
> > connection (i.e. red, yellow and white merge into one
> > conection to go into the digital camera).
> >
> > I have the sound jacks connected to the analog camera with
> > the video jack unplugged and s-video conecting the 2
> > cameras together. I have the digital camera connected to
> > the PC via firewire.
> >
> > I can record the video fine, but no sound gets recorded.
> > Help!

Prilosec

      21st Oct 2004
This is from left field--had the same problem with an old USB Dazzle. Have
you tried bypassing the sound altogether on your digital camera, plugging
your audio (analog camera) jacks directly into your sound card? This is
what I had to do with the Dazzle. Now we have a computer with a TV card,
which makes the analog conversion really simple (via coax to the VCR).
"J-Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:00c001c4b6e4$3b91b4e0$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am connecting an analog camcorder to a digial trying to
> convert and record to my PC. The analog is connected to
> the digical camcorder via S-Video for the video. For the
> audio, the digital camera came with a 3 prong to 1
> connection (i.e. red, yellow and white merge into one
> conection to go into the digital camera).
>
> I have the sound jacks connected to the analog camera with
> the video jack unplugged and s-video conecting the 2
> cameras together. I have the digital camera connected to
> the PC via firewire.
>
> I can record the video fine, but no sound gets recorded.
> Help!

=?Utf-8?B?Y2htYnI=?=

      21st Oct 2004
Yes, this is precisely the setup: analog camera or VCR outputs to analog
and/or S-video ATI interface in XP Media Center Edition PC. No audio input.
Movie Maker configuration and sound source/cabling have no effect: can be to
ATI card, to sound card, to Mic input and various sub configs in WMM with
Audio cable(s) to ATI or SB Audio card mic input. In certain audio input
configs, WMM gives error message "Video source not detected".

"Prilosec" wrote:

> This is from left field--had the same problem with an old USB Dazzle. Have
> you tried bypassing the sound altogether on your digital camera, plugging
> your audio (analog camera) jacks directly into your sound card? This is
> what I had to do with the Dazzle. Now we have a computer with a TV card,
> which makes the analog conversion really simple (via coax to the VCR).
> "J-Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:00c001c4b6e4$3b91b4e0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I am connecting an analog camcorder to a digial trying to
> > convert and record to my PC. The analog is connected to
> > the digical camcorder via S-Video for the video. For the
> > audio, the digital camera came with a 3 prong to 1
> > connection (i.e. red, yellow and white merge into one
> > conection to go into the digital camera).
> >
> > I have the sound jacks connected to the analog camera with
> > the video jack unplugged and s-video conecting the 2
> > cameras together. I have the digital camera connected to
> > the PC via firewire.
> >
> > I can record the video fine, but no sound gets recorded.
> > Help!

j-johnson

      21st Oct 2004
I dove a little more into last night. I connected the
analog camera directly to a VCR's inputs and no sound. I
then played it with headphones and no sound. For some
reason, my analog camera is not outputting any audio. I
played some tapes that I know have audio on them.

FYI - the camera is a Hi-8 CCD-TR600.

This is a little outside this forum, but if anyone has
experienced this, please give me your thoughts.

=?Utf-8?B?Sko=?=

      1st Nov 2004
I purchased a Canon Optura 40 and recently captured some video from my old
Sony Hi-8mm camera onto my computer. I used the 2 audio connections from the
3 in 1 jack that came with the camera and a s-video line from the Sony to the
Canon, which was connected via a firewire cable to my pc. I didn't want the
AV signal being recorded onto the miniDV tape, but directly to the pc. It
took a few tries to get it right because I received some error messages about
not detecting a video source with MM, but I finally got there. Let me know
if you are still having issues. Maybe we can work through them.

"J-Johnson" wrote:

> I am connecting an analog camcorder to a digial trying to
> convert and record to my PC. The analog is connected to
> the digical camcorder via S-Video for the video. For the
> audio, the digital camera came with a 3 prong to 1
> connection (i.e. red, yellow and white merge into one
> conection to go into the digital camera).
>
> I have the sound jacks connected to the analog camera with
> the video jack unplugged and s-video conecting the 2
> cameras together. I have the digital camera connected to
> the PC via firewire.
>
> I can record the video fine, but no sound gets recorded.
> Help!

=?Utf-8?B?Y2htYnI=?=

      1st Nov 2004
using the firewire fo the digital camcorder as an A/D valve is a solution,
but this does not address the basic issue of why does audio not go into the
analog input? Also, as you point out, you have to mess around with the tape
which is in the digital camcorder to avoid overwriting that.

Chmbr