AMD kills off ATI brandname, finally

krw@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz

      20th Sep 2010
On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 01:46:35 -0400, Yousuf Khan <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On 19/09/2010 6:33 PM, (E-Mail Removed)zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
>> On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 15:04:00 -0400, Yousuf Khan<(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>> Ford will most likely replace the Mercuries with Fords.

>> Huh? Almost all Mercurys *were* Fords with deferent trim (sometimes not even
>> that). LM dealers cannot sell Ford models.

>That's what I'm saying. If Mercury disappears as a brand, then Ford the
>corporation will likely give the former Mercury brand dealers, Ford
>brands to sell instead.

Not going to happen. Ford dealers would sue their asses off. Franchise
agreements are cast in stone.

Joe Pfeiffer

      20th Sep 2010

> On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 01:46:35 -0400, Yousuf Khan <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>On 19/09/2010 6:33 PM, (E-Mail Removed)zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

>>> Huh? Almost all Mercurys *were* Fords with deferent trim (sometimes not even
>>> that). LM dealers cannot sell Ford models.

>>That's what I'm saying. If Mercury disappears as a brand, then Ford the
>>corporation will likely give the former Mercury brand dealers, Ford
>>brands to sell instead.

> Not going to happen. Ford dealers would sue their asses off. Franchise
> agreements are cast in stone.

Based on what's happened with Chrysler, not so rigid. I believe all
their remaining dealers (after the Great Purge and the elimination of
Plymouth) are now full line.

Bill Davidsen

      20th Sep 2010
Yousuf Khan wrote:
> On 19/09/2010 6:33 PM, (E-Mail Removed)zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
>> On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 15:04:00 -0400, Yousuf
>> Khan<(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>> Ford will most likely replace the Mercuries with Fords.

>> Huh? Almost all Mercurys *were* Fords with deferent trim (sometimes
>> not even
>> that). LM dealers cannot sell Ford models.

> That's what I'm saying. If Mercury disappears as a brand, then Ford the
> corporation will likely give the former Mercury brand dealers, Ford
> brands to sell instead.

I hear that Ford wants to close 500 dealerships. I would suspect they are
Mercury dealers.

Noted in passing: Lincoln is now selling a little crossover which has the Taurus
SHO "EccoBoost" engine, V6+2 turbo.And very cheap lease rates. I would take one
of those, more useful form factor than sedan, and cheaper price.

Yes, the engine is slightly detuned, it should still be a nice vehicle for
people with a busy lifestyle.

Rick Jones

      20th Sep 2010
In comp.sys.intel Yousuf Khan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> That's what I'm saying. If Mercury disappears as a brand, then Ford
> the corporation will likely give the former Mercury brand dealers,
> Ford brands to sell instead.

And dilute the business of the existing Ford-brand dealers??? If
there were enough business for the Mercury dealers/brand to be
healthy, it seems rather unlikely Ford would eliminate the brand.

I think of all this brand consolidation by the U.S. auto makers as
being akin to reverse stock splits seeking to keep the share price
above $1 to avoid de-listing. You don't go to that trouble to just
dilute what remains.

rick jones
where do you want to be today?

Yousuf Khan

      20th Sep 2010
On 20/09/2010 7:43 AM, (E-Mail Removed)zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 01:46:35 -0400, Yousuf Khan<(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> That's what I'm saying. If Mercury disappears as a brand, then Ford the
>> corporation will likely give the former Mercury brand dealers, Ford
>> brands to sell instead.

> Not going to happen. Ford dealers would sue their asses off. Franchise
> agreements are cast in stone.

It's already happened up here in Canada. The dealers will fall in-line
if they still want their dealerships.

Yousuf Khan

krw@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz

      21st Sep 2010
On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 08:17:35 -0600, Joe Pfeiffer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 01:46:35 -0400, Yousuf Khan <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>>That's what I'm saying. If Mercury disappears as a brand, then Ford the
>>>corporation will likely give the former Mercury brand dealers, Ford
>>>brands to sell instead.

>> Not going to happen. Ford dealers would sue their asses off. Franchise
>> agreements are cast in stone.

>Based on what's happened with Chrysler, not so rigid. I believe all
>their remaining dealers (after the Great Purge and the elimination of
>Plymouth) are now full line.

Different issue. Ford isn't bankrupt.

krw@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz

      21st Sep 2010
On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 14:56:51 -0400, Yousuf Khan <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On 20/09/2010 7:43 AM, (E-Mail Removed)zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
>> On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 01:46:35 -0400, Yousuf Khan<(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>> That's what I'm saying. If Mercury disappears as a brand, then Ford the
>>> corporation will likely give the former Mercury brand dealers, Ford
>>> brands to sell instead.

>> Not going to happen. Ford dealers would sue their asses off. Franchise
>> agreements are cast in stone.

>It's already happened up here in Canada. The dealers will fall in-line
>if they still want their dealerships.

They can remove Mercury, but adding a Ford dealership to an area that is
already covered with an existing franchise agreement isn't going to happen, at
least here.

krw@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz

      21st Sep 2010
On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 10:58:35 -0400, Bill Davidsen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Yousuf Khan wrote:
>> On 19/09/2010 6:33 PM, (E-Mail Removed)zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
>>> On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 15:04:00 -0400, Yousuf
>>> Khan<(E-Mail Removed)>

>>> Huh? Almost all Mercurys *were* Fords with deferent trim (sometimes
>>> not even
>>> that). LM dealers cannot sell Ford models.

>> That's what I'm saying. If Mercury disappears as a brand, then Ford the
>> corporation will likely give the former Mercury brand dealers, Ford
>> brands to sell instead.
>>

>I hear that Ford wants to close 500 dealerships. I would suspect they are
>Mercury dealers.

Mercury dealerships are also Lincoln dealerships. Yes, Ford has wanted to
close many of them for decades. One I know of sell one car a year. Several
sell single digits a month. That isn't very profitable for Ford.

>Noted in passing: Lincoln is now selling a little crossover which has the Taurus
>SHO "EccoBoost" engine, V6+2 turbo.And very cheap lease rates. I would take one
>of those, more useful form factor than sedan, and cheaper price.
>
>Yes, the engine is slightly detuned, it should still be a nice vehicle for
>people with a busy lifestyle.

Joe Pfeiffer

      21st Sep 2010

> On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 08:17:35 -0600, Joe Pfeiffer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>"(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>>> Not going to happen. Ford dealers would sue their asses off. Franchise
>>> agreements are cast in stone.

>>Based on what's happened with Chrysler, not so rigid. I believe all
>>their remaining dealers (after the Great Purge and the elimination of
>>Plymouth) are now full line.

> Different issue. Ford isn't bankrupt.

Good point -- but I haven't heard that having all the dealers go
full-line was made possible by the bankruptcy (and I am something of a
mopar-holic, so I would have expected to).

krw@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz

      21st Sep 2010
On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 21:28:41 -0600, Joe Pfeiffer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>>>Based on what's happened with Chrysler, not so rigid. I believe all
>>>their remaining dealers (after the Great Purge and the elimination of
>>>Plymouth) are now full line.

>> Different issue. Ford isn't bankrupt.

>Good point -- but I haven't heard that having all the dealers go
>full-line was made possible by the bankruptcy (and I am something of a
>mopar-holic, so I would have expected to).

A bankruptcy judge can alter or even nullify contracts. I know some mopar
dealers who were *very* protective of their turf. One went so far as to sue
(and won) Chrysler over their "regional advertising hold back". Their
contract, from a prior epoch, had no such terms yet Chrysler was attempting to
add it in. Other, newer, dealerships did have regional advertising terms in
their contracts. After the dust settled, the older dealership then had a few
hundred dollar advantage on every cars sold; big money in that business. Of
course that was long before the big one hit. They're probably out of
business, even though they were the largest in the area.