AMD kills off ATI brandname, finally

Tony Harding

      16th Sep 2010
On 09/15/10 00:35, (E-Mail Removed)zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 16:03:41 -0400, Yousuf Khan<(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>>
>> You mean like GM with all of its brand names that have had to be
>> hatcheted down? Goodbye Oldsmobile, so long Pontiac, never knew ya
>> Saturn, and good riddance Hummer. Or Chrysler and its Plymouth brand,
>> and Ford and its Mercury brand.

> What happened to Mercury? It was there this morning.
>
> http://www.mercuryvehicles.com/

Didn't make the cut (this isn't news, BTW).

Tony Harding

      16th Sep 2010
On 09/15/10 18:36, (E-Mail Removed)zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 08:32:00 -0600, Joe Pfeiffer<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> "(E-Mail Removed)"<(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>
>>> On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 16:03:41 -0400, Yousuf Khan<(E-Mail Removed)>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> <snip>

>>> What happened to Mercury? It was there this morning.
>>>
>>> http://www.mercuryvehicles.com/

>> For has announced that Mercury is being discontinued; I don't remember
>> the timetable. Like Plymouth, it's been pretty much on life support for
>> years and they're now turning off the machine.
>>
>> Actually, as I look around, Ford appears to have abandoned the high-end
>> American luxury market to Cadillac and moved Lincoln down into the
>> former Mercury territory, so Mercury becomes pretty much redundant.

> Ah, I hadn't heard that. Thanks. A friend has an LM dealership. I bet he's
> not happy.

If he still has a dealership, he might be ecstatic.

krw@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz

      17th Sep 2010
On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 17:49:27 -0400, Tony Harding <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 09/15/10 18:36, (E-Mail Removed)zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

>>> For has announced that Mercury is being discontinued; I don't remember
>>> the timetable. Like Plymouth, it's been pretty much on life support for
>>> years and they're now turning off the machine.
>>>
>>> Actually, as I look around, Ford appears to have abandoned the high-end
>>> American luxury market to Cadillac and moved Lincoln down into the
>>> former Mercury territory, so Mercury becomes pretty much redundant.

>> Ah, I hadn't heard that. Thanks. A friend has an LM dealership. I bet he's
>> not happy.

>If he still has a dealership, he might be ecstatic.

How so? It's going to be rough existing on only Lincolns. The market is
quite small and ageing fast.

Tony Harding

      18th Sep 2010
On 09/16/10 23:41, (E-Mail Removed)zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 17:49:27 -0400, Tony Harding<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Ah, I hadn't heard that. Thanks. A friend has an LM dealership. I bet he's
>>> not happy.

>> If he still has a dealership, he might be ecstatic.

> How so? It's going to be rough existing on only Lincolns. The market is
> quite small and ageing fast.

Still has a business (job), unlike all the people who lost their
dealerships.

Other posters have commented that Lincoln seems to be migrating downward
in their MSRPs, which could expand their potential sales into former
Mercury owners, who would see a Lincoln nameplate on their car as a step
up in quality & status.

krw@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz

      18th Sep 2010
On Sat, 18 Sep 2010 10:58:07 -0400, Tony Harding <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 09/16/10 23:41, (E-Mail Removed)zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

>>> If he still has a dealership, he might be ecstatic.

>> How so? It's going to be rough existing on only Lincolns. The market is
>> quite small and ageing fast.

>Still has a business (job), unlike all the people who lost their
>dealerships.

IF it's still a business without 80% of it. Yes, if I owned a GM dealership
that was stolen out from under me by PotUS, as one close to here was, I'd be
some ****ed.

>Other posters have commented that Lincoln seems to be migrating downward
>in their MSRPs, which could expand their potential sales into former
>Mercury owners, who would see a Lincoln nameplate on their car as a step
>up in quality & status.

Maybe, but Mercury was really just another Ford. That was a good thing. I
don't remember a Lincoln that I ever wanted to buy. Still don't.

Joe Pfeiffer

      19th Sep 2010

> On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 17:49:27 -0400, Tony Harding <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Ah, I hadn't heard that. Thanks. A friend has an LM dealership. I bet he's
>>> not happy.

>>If he still has a dealership, he might be ecstatic.

> How so? It's going to be rough existing on only Lincolns. The market is
> quite small and ageing fast.

Depends on whether my conjecture regarding retargeting Lincoln is
accurate, and how successful it is. I've certainly seen a lot more
Lincoln badges over the last few years than I've seen in decades, and
they been on cars I would have expected to have been labelled as
Mercurys. The MKZ, for instance, is exactly the sort of thing that used
to be a Mercury: a Ford Fusion with slight sheetmetal changes (in
fairness, it's also sold as a Mercury Milan).

Yousuf Khan

      19th Sep 2010
On 10-09-14 06:28 PM, GMAN wrote:
> You can thank that ****er obama buying up GM for losing those brand names.

If anything, he saved GM from total collapse. However, I doubt that he
had anything to do with getting them to get rid of redundant brands.
GM's internal management probably came up with that themselves, as they
had to get rid of excess dealers.

They already had experience in getting rid of brands from the Oldsmobile
days.

Yousuf Khan

Yousuf Khan

      19th Sep 2010
On 10-09-16 11:41 PM, (E-Mail Removed)zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
> How so? It's going to be rough existing on only Lincolns. The market is
> quite small and ageing fast.

Ford will most likely replace the Mercuries with Fords.

Yousuf Khan

krw@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz

      19th Sep 2010
On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 15:04:00 -0400, Yousuf Khan <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On 10-09-16 11:41 PM, (E-Mail Removed)zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
>> How so? It's going to be rough existing on only Lincolns. The market is
>> quite small and ageing fast.

>Ford will most likely replace the Mercuries with Fords.

Huh? Almost all Mercurys *were* Fords with deferent trim (sometimes not even
that). LM dealers cannot sell Ford models.

Yousuf Khan

      20th Sep 2010
On 19/09/2010 6:33 PM, (E-Mail Removed)zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 15:04:00 -0400, Yousuf Khan<(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> On 10-09-16 11:41 PM, (E-Mail Removed)zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
>>> How so? It's going to be rough existing on only Lincolns. The market is
>>> quite small and ageing fast.

>> Ford will most likely replace the Mercuries with Fords.

> Huh? Almost all Mercurys *were* Fords with deferent trim (sometimes not even
> that). LM dealers cannot sell Ford models.

That's what I'm saying. If Mercury disappears as a brand, then Ford the
corporation will likely give the former Mercury brand dealers, Ford
brands to sell instead.

Yousuf Khan