I am upgrading everything & upgrading to vista!

=?Utf-8?B?Um9ieW4=?=

      4th Mar 2007
I am very eager, as today I took my computer in to my computer store, and
will be upgrading my hardware, only thing I'm keeping on my machine is my 120
mb harddrive, cd writer, and dvd writer. Everything else I am upgrading,
including my windows, and moving to windows vista home premium.

New system will be AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor, 4200+ 2.4 GHZ,
with a 256 MB ATI Radeon Video Card, and 1 GB of Ram with my same harddrive
120 MB (purchase a few mths ago), DVD Writer (purchased a few months ago),
and CD Writer (came with machine), with upgrade to Windows Home Premium, from
Windows XP Home Edition.

The hardware is being ordered and my computer guy will get it in Tuesday, so
my tower goes over then for the replacement, and he also order my windows
vista, thru his online order and unfortunately it will take about two weeks
for it to come in. When it does, he will call me I will pick it up and start
installing it on my machine.

I said before I may wait til a service pack come out, but I decided to get
it now. When the service packs come out, just update as before while using
xp, right! I like Vista, and I'm moving on to it.

Besides that, all the best technical people are here now and left xp
newsgroups, LOL! When one needs some help you want quality and helpful,
friendly answers.

Take care, can't wait to join you all,
--
Robyn

DP

      4th Mar 2007

> New system will be AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor, 4200+ 2.4 GHZ,
> with a 256 MB ATI Radeon Video Card, and 1 GB of Ram with my same
> harddrive
> 120 MB (purchase a few mths ago), DVD Writer (purchased a few months ago),
> and CD Writer (came with machine), with upgrade to Windows Home Premium,
> from
> Windows XP Home Edition.

Congratulations, Robyn.
I find Vista to be a great OS.
I understand that others are having problems (as did users of W95, W98, WXP,
WXPx64), but for me it's been almost flawless, once I had all the drivers
taken care of.
One word of advice: I'd try to kick the RAM up to 2 gigs while you're
shelling out money to upgrade.

I'm using Vista Ultimate 64 on Athlon 64 dual core 3800+ with ASUS A8N-E
motherboard and 2 gb ram. As I said, it's been just about flawless.

philo

      4th Mar 2007

"DP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > New system will be AMD AthlonT 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor, 4200+ 2.4 GHZ,
> > with a 256 MB ATI Radeon Video Card, and 1 GB of Ram with my same
> > harddrive
> > 120 MB (purchase a few mths ago), DVD Writer (purchased a few months

ago),
> > and CD Writer (came with machine), with upgrade to Windows Home Premium,
> > from
> > Windows XP Home Edition.

> Congratulations, Robyn.
> I find Vista to be a great OS.
> I understand that others are having problems (as did users of W95, W98,

WXP,
> WXPx64), but for me it's been almost flawless, once I had all the drivers
> taken care of.
> One word of advice: I'd try to kick the RAM up to 2 gigs while you're
> shelling out money to upgrade.
>
> I'm using Vista Ultimate 64 on Athlon 64 dual core 3800+ with ASUS A8N-E
> motherboard and 2 gb ram. As I said, it's been just about flawless.

The dual core CPU is a great idea for sure...
and though I'm sure Vista will run Ok with 1 gig of RAM...
I agree...go ahead and get 2 gigs right from the start.

=?Utf-8?B?Um9ieW4=?=

      4th Mar 2007
Ok, thanks for the advice. Currently I'm just using 512 mbs, so this is
diffently going to be faster. Perhaps I will upgrade to 2 gbs! Getting a
good deal on the upgrade of the hardware as well. Still cheaper to buy new
hardware to update my computer than to buy a new computer tower.

I read a lot on video cards to and decided my choice to be a ATI 256 mb
video card pci express (ati radeon). I think this was a good choice.
--
Robyn

"philo" wrote:

> "DP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >

> > > New system will be AMD AthlonT 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor, 4200+ 2.4 GHZ,
> > > with a 256 MB ATI Radeon Video Card, and 1 GB of Ram with my same
> > > harddrive
> > > 120 MB (purchase a few mths ago), DVD Writer (purchased a few months

> ago),
> > > and CD Writer (came with machine), with upgrade to Windows Home Premium,
> > > from
> > > Windows XP Home Edition.

> > Congratulations, Robyn.
> > I find Vista to be a great OS.
> > I understand that others are having problems (as did users of W95, W98,

> WXP,
> > WXPx64), but for me it's been almost flawless, once I had all the drivers
> > taken care of.
> > One word of advice: I'd try to kick the RAM up to 2 gigs while you're
> > shelling out money to upgrade.
> >
> > I'm using Vista Ultimate 64 on Athlon 64 dual core 3800+ with ASUS A8N-E
> > motherboard and 2 gb ram. As I said, it's been just about flawless.
> >

> The dual core CPU is a great idea for sure...
> and though I'm sure Vista will run Ok with 1 gig of RAM...
> I agree...go ahead and get 2 gigs right from the start.

BChat

      4th Mar 2007
I too would go with the 2 gig Ram

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

"philo" wrote:

> "DP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >

> > > New system will be AMD AthlonT 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor, 4200+ 2.4
> > > GHZ,
> > > with a 256 MB ATI Radeon Video Card, and 1 GB of Ram with my same
> > > harddrive
> > > 120 MB (purchase a few mths ago), DVD Writer (purchased a few months

> ago),
> > > and CD Writer (came with machine), with upgrade to Windows Home
> > > Premium,
> > > from
> > > Windows XP Home Edition.

> > Congratulations, Robyn.
> > I find Vista to be a great OS.
> > I understand that others are having problems (as did users of W95, W98,

> WXP,
> > WXPx64), but for me it's been almost flawless, once I had all the
> > drivers
> > taken care of.
> > One word of advice: I'd try to kick the RAM up to 2 gigs while you're
> > shelling out money to upgrade.
> >
> > I'm using Vista Ultimate 64 on Athlon 64 dual core 3800+ with ASUS A8N-E
> > motherboard and 2 gb ram. As I said, it's been just about flawless.
> >

> The dual core CPU is a great idea for sure...
> and though I'm sure Vista will run Ok with 1 gig of RAM...
> I agree...go ahead and get 2 gigs right from the start.

Art

      4th Mar 2007

"Robyn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am very eager, as today I took my computer in to my computer store, and
> will be upgrading my hardware, only thing I'm keeping on my machine is my
> 120
> mb harddrive, cd writer, and dvd writer. Everything else I am upgrading,
> including my windows, and moving to windows vista home premium.
>
> New system will be AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor, 4200+ 2.4 GHZ,
> with a 256 MB ATI Radeon Video Card, and 1 GB of Ram with my same
> harddrive
> 120 MB (purchase a few mths ago), DVD Writer (purchased a few months ago),
> and CD Writer (came with machine), with upgrade to Windows Home Premium,
> from
> Windows XP Home Edition.
>
> The hardware is being ordered and my computer guy will get it in Tuesday,
> so
> my tower goes over then for the replacement, and he also order my windows
> vista, thru his online order and unfortunately it will take about two
> weeks
> for it to come in. When it does, he will call me I will pick it up and
> start
> installing it on my machine.
>
> I said before I may wait til a service pack come out, but I decided to get
> it now. When the service packs come out, just update as before while
> using
> xp, right! I like Vista, and I'm moving on to it.
>
> Besides that, all the best technical people are here now and left xp
> newsgroups, LOL! When one needs some help you want quality and helpful,
> friendly answers.
>
> Take care, can't wait to join you all,
> --

That's exciting. As others said, I'd definitely get the 2GB. Also, I would
ask your guy about 2 weeks for Vista. OEM copies generally arrive within
3-5 days. I've ordered 2 different licenses for builds (from Newegg) that
have arrived from Newegg within 3 days standard UPS.

Vistas been great for me and I hope you enjoy it as well.

ARt

Loopy

      4th Mar 2007
I'd make sure the video card is Direct X 10 capable. No sense buying a new
card that doesn't support DX10.

it is direct x 10 capable
--
Robyn

"Loopy" wrote:

> I'd make sure the video card is Direct X 10 capable. No sense buying a new
> card that doesn't support DX10.
>

> "Robyn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Ok, thanks for the advice. Currently I'm just using 512 mbs, so this is
> > diffently going to be faster. Perhaps I will upgrade to 2 gbs! Getting
> > good deal on the upgrade of the hardware as well. Still cheaper to buy
> > new
> > hardware to update my computer than to buy a new computer tower.
> >
> > I read a lot on video cards to and decided my choice to be a ATI 256 mb
> > video card pci express (ati radeon). I think this was a good choice.
> > --
> > Robyn
> >

> > "philo" wrote:
> >

> >> "DP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> ago),

> >> WXP,

> >> The dual core CPU is a great idea for sure...
> >> and though I'm sure Vista will run Ok with 1 gig of RAM...
> >> I agree...go ahead and get 2 gigs right from the start.

=?Utf-8?B?Um9ieW4=?=

      4th Mar 2007
He said up to 2 weeks but could be sooner! It will arrive at my door, not at
his shop anyways!
--
Robyn

"Art" wrote:

> "Robyn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I am very eager, as today I took my computer in to my computer store, and
> > will be upgrading my hardware, only thing I'm keeping on my machine is my
> > 120
> > mb harddrive, cd writer, and dvd writer. Everything else I am upgrading,
> > including my windows, and moving to windows vista home premium.
> >
> > New system will be AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor, 4200+ 2.4 GHZ,
> > with a 256 MB ATI Radeon Video Card, and 1 GB of Ram with my same
> > harddrive
> > 120 MB (purchase a few mths ago), DVD Writer (purchased a few months ago),
> > and CD Writer (came with machine), with upgrade to Windows Home Premium,
> > from
> > Windows XP Home Edition.
> >
> > The hardware is being ordered and my computer guy will get it in Tuesday,
> > so
> > my tower goes over then for the replacement, and he also order my windows
> > vista, thru his online order and unfortunately it will take about two
> > weeks
> > for it to come in. When it does, he will call me I will pick it up and
> > start
> > installing it on my machine.
> >
> > I said before I may wait til a service pack come out, but I decided to get
> > it now. When the service packs come out, just update as before while
> > using
> > xp, right! I like Vista, and I'm moving on to it.
> >
> > Besides that, all the best technical people are here now and left xp
> > newsgroups, LOL! When one needs some help you want quality and helpful,
> > friendly answers.
> >
> > Take care, can't wait to join you all,
> > --

> That's exciting. As others said, I'd definitely get the 2GB. Also, I would
> ask your guy about 2 weeks for Vista. OEM copies generally arrive within
> 3-5 days. I've ordered 2 different licenses for builds (from Newegg) that
> have arrived from Newegg within 3 days standard UPS.
>
> Vistas been great for me and I hope you enjoy it as well.
>
> ARt

Lang Murphy

      4th Mar 2007
You don't say whether you intend to "do" Vista x86 or x64... only
observation I have right now is that x64 has more driver issues, i.e., less
drivers, than x86.

Lang