Always Open in New Instance

=?Utf-8?B?R2VycnkgTw==?=

      7th Sep 2007
I have an Excel workbook that uses userforms and save/close procedures
extensively to automate some processes. I need this workbook to always open
in a new instance of Excel. If the user already has a workbook open, opening
this file will open in the instance that is already open, which I don't want.
Is there any VBA code that will force this to happen? Much appreciated!
--
Thanks,

Gerry O.

=?Utf-8?B?SmltIFRob21saW5zb24=?=

      7th Sep 2007
Here is some code to make spreadsheets open up in new instances...

Application.IgnoreRemoteRequests = True
'Open your file
Application.IgnoreRemoteRequests = False

Note that what this is doing is it is toggling the setting
Tools|Options -> General ->Ignore Other Applications
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Gerry O" wrote:

> I have an Excel workbook that uses userforms and save/close procedures
> extensively to automate some processes. I need this workbook to always open
> in a new instance of Excel. If the user already has a workbook open, opening
> this file will open in the instance that is already open, which I don't want.
> Is there any VBA code that will force this to happen? Much appreciated!
> --
> Thanks,
>
> Gerry O.

=?Utf-8?B?R2VycnkgTw==?=

      8th Sep 2007
Thanks, Jim. I know this works if you open the Excel file with the code
first. However, if a user already has a workbook open, opening this file
will open in the same instance as the existing workbook, rather than a new
instance. I am trying to get my workbook to always open in a new instance of
Excel and was hoping to find the code for it. Possibly need a shell file
that runs a macro to fire my workbook into a new instance? Not sure of the
coding though.
--
Thanks,

Gerry O.

"Jim Thomlinson" wrote:

> Here is some code to make spreadsheets open up in new instances...
>
> Application.IgnoreRemoteRequests = True
> 'Open your file
> Application.IgnoreRemoteRequests = False
>
> Note that what this is doing is it is toggling the setting
> Tools|Options -> General ->Ignore Other Applications
> --
> HTH...
>
> Jim Thomlinson
>

> "Gerry O" wrote:
>
> > I have an Excel workbook that uses userforms and save/close procedures
> > extensively to automate some processes. I need this workbook to always open
> > in a new instance of Excel. If the user already has a workbook open, opening
> > this file will open in the instance that is already open, which I don't want.
> > Is there any VBA code that will force this to happen? Much appreciated!
> > --
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Gerry O.

iliace

      8th Sep 2007
Put this code in the loader workbook's ThisWorkbook module:

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Const strPath As String = "C:\myWorkbook.xls"

Dim xl As Excel.Application

Set xl = New Excel.Application

xl.Workbooks.Open (strPath)

xl.Visible = True

Me.Close
End Sub

Change the constant at the top to reflect where your file is located.

On Sep 8, 1:28 am, Gerry O <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Thanks, Jim. I know this works if you open the Excel file with the code
> first. However, if a user already has a workbook open, opening this file
> will open in the same instance as the existing workbook, rather than a new
> instance. I am trying to get my workbook to always open in a new instance of
> Excel and was hoping to find the code for it. Possibly need a shell file
> that runs a macro to fire my workbook into a new instance? Not sure of the
> coding though.
> --
> Thanks,
>
> Gerry O.
>

> "Jim Thomlinson" wrote:
> > Here is some code to make spreadsheets open up in new instances...

> > Application.IgnoreRemoteRequests = True
> > 'Open your file
> > Application.IgnoreRemoteRequests = False

> > Note that what this is doing is it is toggling the setting
> > Tools|Options -> General ->Ignore Other Applications
> > --
> > HTH...

> > Jim Thomlinson

> > "Gerry O" wrote:

> > > I have an Excel workbook that uses userforms and save/close procedures
> > > extensively to automate some processes. I need this workbook to always open
> > > in a new instance of Excel. If the user already has a workbook open, opening
> > > this file will open in the instance that is already open, which I don't want.
> > > Is there any VBA code that will force this to happen? Much appreciated!
> > > --
> > > Thanks,

> > > Gerry O.- Hide quoted text -

=?Utf-8?B?R2VycnkgTw==?=

      9th Sep 2007
Thanks - that did the trick! I've thought of an additional way to improve
what I am doing. Do you happen to know any code that will check to see if an
instance of Excel is already open or not? If one isn't open, I can open my
workbook in the same instance brought up by the "opener" workbook. If one is
already open, it forces a new instance. The workbook I want to open has code
"Application.IgnoreRemoteRequests = True", so any additional workbooks opened
while that one is open will be forced into a new instance. Sorry to add
another question!
--
Thanks,

Gerry O.

"iliace" wrote:

> Put this code in the loader workbook's ThisWorkbook module:
>
> Private Sub Workbook_Open()
> Const strPath As String = "C:\myWorkbook.xls"
>
> Dim xl As Excel.Application
>
> Set xl = New Excel.Application
>
> xl.Workbooks.Open (strPath)
>
> xl.Visible = True
>
> Me.Close
> End Sub
>
> Change the constant at the top to reflect where your file is located.
>

> On Sep 8, 1:28 am, Gerry O <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Thanks, Jim. I know this works if you open the Excel file with the code
> > first. However, if a user already has a workbook open, opening this file
> > will open in the same instance as the existing workbook, rather than a new
> > instance. I am trying to get my workbook to always open in a new instance of
> > Excel and was hoping to find the code for it. Possibly need a shell file
> > that runs a macro to fire my workbook into a new instance? Not sure of the
> > coding though.
> > --
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Gerry O.
> >

> > "Jim Thomlinson" wrote:
> > > Here is some code to make spreadsheets open up in new instances...

> > > Application.IgnoreRemoteRequests = True
> > > 'Open your file
> > > Application.IgnoreRemoteRequests = False

> > > Note that what this is doing is it is toggling the setting
> > > Tools|Options -> General ->Ignore Other Applications
> > > --
> > > HTH...

> > > Jim Thomlinson

=?Utf-8?B?R2VycnkgTw==?=

      9th Sep 2007
Think I figured it out. Used the following code and seems to work perfectly
for my purposes. Thanks again!

Private Sub Workbook_Open()

Dim xl As Excel.Application
Dim I As Integer
Const strPath As String = "C:\test2.xls"
Set xl = New Excel.Application
I = 0

xl.Workbooks.Open (strPath)
xl.Visible = True