Alternative to Quickview

Trog Dog

      12th Sep 2004
Is there a freeware alternative for Quickview?

I recently upgraded from Win98SE to WinXP and miss this app - any freeware
alternatives?

BillR

      12th Sep 2004
"Trog Dog" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:N4Z0d.28568$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there a freeware alternative for Quickview?
>
> I recently upgraded from Win98SE to WinXP and miss this app - any freeware
> alternatives?

I hope someone has a better answer. Until then....

TrackerV3 supports thumbs and a viewer pane where you can preview a few
basic file types (including HTML) plus a slew of audio and video formats.
Irfanview, XnView, SlowView, and FreshView (among others) will display a
wide variety of graphical formats.

Columbus also includes viewing technology from Stellent (current owner of
Quick View Plus) and Rasterex. The free Columbus Personal Edition document
management system is limited to 200 documents (IIRC) on non-networked
drives. Somewhat ironic as it claims to support 300 formats. You may be
able to find an older version that supported unlimited documents but was
subject to some other limitations that I don't recall at the moment.

I assume you already have a good archive (zip) program. If not, visit
Pricelessware, Files.

There are also a number of viewers for specific formats (e.g., MS Word
Viewer, MS Access Viewer).

The best alternative may be picking through the list at
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_GRAPHICS.php

I think everything I've mentioned is linked there or elsewhere in
www.pricelessware.org
www.pricelesswarehome.org

[OT] If you feel tempted to buy Quick View Plus, look at PowerDesk first.
The commercial PowerDesk includes Quick View Plus modules via a viewer pane.
I believe the QVP is one or two editions older than the current QVP but
still far more extensive than the paltry few formats included in Win95 and
Win98. PowerDesk is much less expensive than Quick View Plus. Cheaper
still on EBay or similar. Note that SystemSuite only includes the free
PowerDesk _without_ the viewer.

[Sort of On Topic] If you are handy, you might try experimenting with
pointing PowerDesk Free/Trial at the viewing modules installed by Columbus
PE. PowerDesk documentation briefly mentions using external Quick View Plus
files. I am unclear whether that feature is available in PowerDesk
Free/Trial.

BillR

Chris Dubea

      12th Sep 2004

>Columbus also includes viewing technology from Stellent (current owner of
>Quick View Plus) and Rasterex. The free Columbus Personal Edition document
>management system is limited to 200 documents (IIRC) on non-networked
>drives. Somewhat ironic as it claims to support 300 formats. You may be
>able to find an older version that supported unlimited documents but was
>subject to some other limitations that I don't recall at the moment.

I'm certain as a result of the introduction of Columbus Professional,
the free version of Columbus has been seriously crippled with the
advent of version 3.0.

It's funny as previously there were a spate of old versions of
Columbus available for download, but this is no longer the case.

Unfortunate.
Chris

John Corliss

      13th Sep 2004
BillR wrote:
> "Trog Dog" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:N4Z0d.28568$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Is there a freeware alternative for Quickview?
>>
>>I recently upgraded from Win98SE to WinXP and miss this app - any freeware
>>alternatives?

> I hope someone has a better answer. Until then....
>
> TrackerV3 supports thumbs and a viewer pane where you can preview a few
> basic file types (including HTML) plus a slew of audio and video formats.
> Irfanview, XnView, SlowView, and FreshView (among others) will display a
> wide variety of graphical formats.
>
> Columbus also includes viewing technology from Stellent (current owner of
> Quick View Plus) and Rasterex. The free Columbus Personal Edition document
> management system is limited to 200 documents (IIRC) on non-networked
> drives. Somewhat ironic as it claims to support 300 formats. You may be
> able to find an older version that supported unlimited documents but was
> subject to some other limitations that I don't recall at the moment.
>
> I assume you already have a good archive (zip) program. If not, visit
> Pricelessware, Files.
>
> There are also a number of viewers for specific formats (e.g., MS Word
> Viewer, MS Access Viewer).
>
> The best alternative may be picking through the list at
> http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_GRAPHICS.php
>
> I think everything I've mentioned is linked there or elsewhere in
> www.pricelessware.org
> www.pricelesswarehome.org
> (snip)

Bill, are you sure about that file limitation for Columbus? I looked
but couldn't find any mention of it on their site:

http://www.oasys-software.com/product/dm/columbus/

Not only that, but they're listed at Nonags who won't list crippleware
if they're aware that's the case.

I just emailed the company for clarification and will post back to
this thread if they reply.

--
Regards from John Corliss
No adware, cdware, commercial software, crippleware, demoware,

Sietse Fliege

      13th Sep 2004
Trog Dog wrote:
> Is there a freeware alternative for Quickview?
>
> I recently upgraded from Win98SE to WinXP and miss this app - any
> freeware alternatives?

FWIW : there is a link to MS Quickview on this page:
<http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_FILEUTILITIES.php>
(Programs that have been mentioned in ACF posts)

<http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...W95/EN-US/quik
vu.exe>

--
Cheers,
Sietse Fliege

John Corliss

      13th Sep 2004
Sietse Fliege wrote:
> Trog Dog wrote:
>> Is there a freeware alternative for Quickview?
>> I recently upgraded from Win98SE to WinXP and miss this app - any
>> freeware alternatives?

> FWIW : there is a link to MS Quickview on this page:
> <http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_FILEUTILITIES.php>
> (Programs that have been mentioned in ACF posts)
>
> <http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...W95/EN-US/quik
> vu.exe>

Sietse,
I was able to get Quickview to work with Millennium Edition, but
does it work with XP? The OP mentioned he's upgraded to that version.

--
Regards from John Corliss
No adware, cdware, commercial software, crippleware, demoware,
nagware, shareware, spyware, time-limited software, trialware, viruses
or warez please.

Trog Dog

      13th Sep 2004

"Sietse Fliege" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:41458b33$0$61743$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Trog Dog wrote:
>> Is there a freeware alternative for Quickview?
>>
>> I recently upgraded from Win98SE to WinXP and miss this app - any
>> freeware alternatives?

> FWIW : there is a link to MS Quickview on this page:
> <http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_FILEUTILITIES.php>
> (Programs that have been mentioned in ACF posts)
>
> <http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...W95/EN-US/quik
> vu.exe>
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Sietse Fliege

Unfortunately this doesn't work with XP - something about an install point
in system32.dll - bugger :-(

Box134

      14th Sep 2004
I've tried to find an alternative and haven't been successful either. Quite
a shame really, can't be any harder to do in XP than in '98. I suppose we
just need someone who'll take it on!

"Trog Dog" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:N4Z0d.28568$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there a freeware alternative for Quickview?
>
> I recently upgraded from Win98SE to WinXP and miss this app - any freeware
> alternatives?

Chris Dubea

      14th Sep 2004

>> (snip)

>Bill, are you sure about that file limitation for Columbus? I looked
>but couldn't find any mention of it on their site:
>
> http://www.oasys-software.com/product/dm/columbus/
>
>Not only that, but they're listed at Nonags who won't list crippleware
>if they're aware that's the case.
>
>I just emailed the company for clarification and will post back to
>this thread if they reply.

Hi John,

I'll be curious to see your reply. I've never seen the file
limitation mentioned, but the elimination of shared drive access in V3
makes it a non-starter for me. If they had fixed a bunch of problems
in V3, I might put up with it, but this is not the case.

Chris.
Chris

Shilun

      14th Sep 2004
"Box134" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<1kq1d.802$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> I've tried to find an alternative and haven't been successful either. Quite
> a shame really, can't be any harder to do in XP than in '98. I suppose we
> just need someone who'll take it on!
>
> "Trog Dog" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:N4Z0d.28568$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Is there a freeware alternative for Quickview?
> >
> > I recently upgraded from Win98SE to WinXP and miss this app - any freeware
> > alternatives?

Is Ultra Reader any use to you? Not much functionality, but ...
www.ultrareader.com