Alternates between AC and Battery power

fornewsgroups@shaw.ca

      13th Feb 2006
my laptop keeps "switching" to battery power even though the AC power
cord is securely attached to the computer. I then just simply unattach

then reinsert the cord. Although Compaq think it is a hardware issue I

find this hard to believe since if I try to purposely "loosen" it it
does not switch to battery. IT just seems to happen randomly.

The timing is such that it seems to be a recent windows update.

Suggestions? Thoughts?

I did find this post which describes a similar issue:
http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...43#post6621443 .
(although I do not have a separate charger).

Yves Leclerc

      13th Feb 2006
On 12/02/2006 http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>my laptop keeps "switching" to battery power even though the AC power
>cord is securely attached to the computer. I then just simply unattach
>
>then reinsert the cord. Although Compaq think it is a hardware issue I
>
>find this hard to believe since if I try to purposely "loosen" it it
>does not switch to battery. IT just seems to happen randomly.
>
>The timing is such that it seems to be a recent windows update.
>

>Suggestions? Thoughts?
>

>I did find this post which describes a similar issue:
>http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...43#post6621443 .
>(although I do not have a separate charger).

It could most definitely be a hardware issue. The laptop must have some type
of detection component in order to know when the power cord is connected.
This seems to be failing.

--
---

Y.

fornewsgroups@shaw.ca

      14th Feb 2006
Well, I did a repair of the operating system (windows xp home), and so
far so good.
I don't get it, but again so far so good. If it changes I'll post it
here. But if anyone else having this issue, try a repair of the OS.

fornewsgroups@shaw.ca

      14th Feb 2006
Sigh,
scratch the repair remedy. At first it seemed to work as it didn't
"switch" for hours and hours. But turning it on this morning, it
STARTED on battery power even though the AC power was connected.

fornewsgroups@shaw.ca

      15th Feb 2006
OK, scratch the scratch. This is the longest it hasn't "switched"
over. So maybe it has "healed"?

fornewsgroups@shaw.ca

      22nd Feb 2006
WEll reformatting didn't work. It's happenning again.
When I pull the plug out of the PC, it is quite hot. Is that suppose
to me?
Is there a way to determine whether it is the plug, or the PC?
Thanks

fornewsgroups@shaw.ca

      26th Feb 2006
Speaking with Compaq, the seem certain the issue is the DC jack of the
notebook (claimed it is a known issue). Does this sound right? If so,
is this expensive?

=?Utf-8?B?aWxpa2VjaGVlc2UxN0Bjb21jYXN0Lm5ldA==?=

      12th May 2006
I'm having the same problem. My computer keeps switching from using the AC
power to the battery even though the power cord is still connected. Is there
something wrong with my computer or is it my power cord?

"(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:

> my laptop keeps "switching" to battery power even though the AC power
> cord is securely attached to the computer. I then just simply unattach
>
> then reinsert the cord. Although Compaq think it is a hardware issue I
>
> find this hard to believe since if I try to purposely "loosen" it it
> does not switch to battery. IT just seems to happen randomly.
>
> The timing is such that it seems to be a recent windows update.
>

> Suggestions? Thoughts?
>

> I did find this post which describes a similar issue:
> http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...43#post6621443 .
> (although I do not have a separate charger).

Dr. C.Joseph Drayton, Ph.D. AS&T

      18th May 2006
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I'm having the same problem. My computer keeps switching from using the AC
> power to the battery even though the power cord is still connected. Is there
> something wrong with my computer or is it my power cord?
>
> "(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:
>
>> my laptop keeps "switching" to battery power even though the AC power
>> cord is securely attached to the computer. I then just simply unattach
>>
>> then reinsert the cord. Although Compaq think it is a hardware issue I
>>
>> find this hard to believe since if I try to purposely "loosen" it it
>> does not switch to battery. IT just seems to happen randomly.
>>
>> The timing is such that it seems to be a recent windows update.
>>

>> Suggestions? Thoughts?
>>

>> I did find this post which describes a similar issue:
>> http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...43#post6621443 .
>> (although I do not have a separate charger).

I would look to see if the power adapter has a light that shows if
it is active. If the light is staying on but your laptop keeps
switching to the battery, then I would suspect the actual power cord
jack. A number of manufacturers are noted for having poor solder
connections of the power jack to the motherboard.

For more information, I would recommend going to comp.sys.laptops
with the specifics on your laptop.

Ciao . . . C.Joseph

And on the seventh day God said,
"I will rest . . . Murphy take over."