all of a sudden my printer does not print

TJ

      30th Mar 2008
I have been using the same printer for years. However my computer started
giving me messages stating i can not print. I can print out fine for a few
hours or a day, then all of a sudden it stops printing. It gives an error
message stating it can not print.

I have to shut down and restart my computer. Once i restart and login my
jobs print.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Lem

      30th Mar 2008
TJ wrote:
> I have been using the same printer for years. However my computer started
> giving me messages stating i can not print. I can print out fine for a few
> hours or a day, then all of a sudden it stops printing. It gives an error
> message stating it can not print.
>
> I have to shut down and restart my computer. Once i restart and login my
> jobs print.
>
> Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Words matter. Please quote the exact text of any error messages you get.

Other helpful information would be

- What version of Windows you have and whether you have kept it up to
date with Windows service packs and updates
- What make and model of printer you have
- How the printer is connected to the computer
- What changed just before this problem started happening

--
Lem -- MS-MVP

TJ

      30th Mar 2008
Sorry I should have included that information:

I have windows xp. I believe the problem may have started happening when i
downloaded the service pack 2.
Printer is hp g86xi
printer is connected straight to the computer

"Lem" wrote:

> TJ wrote:
> > I have been using the same printer for years. However my computer started
> > giving me messages stating i can not print. I can print out fine for a few
> > hours or a day, then all of a sudden it stops printing. It gives an error
> > message stating it can not print.
> >
> > I have to shut down and restart my computer. Once i restart and login my
> > jobs print.
> >
> > Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

> Words matter. Please quote the exact text of any error messages you get.
>
> Other helpful information would be
>
> - What version of Windows you have and whether you have kept it up to
> date with Windows service packs and updates
> - What make and model of printer you have
> - How the printer is connected to the computer
> - What changed just before this problem started happening
>
> --
> Lem -- MS-MVP

Lem

      31st Mar 2008
TJ wrote:
> Sorry I should have included that information:
>
> I have windows xp. I believe the problem may have started happening when i
> downloaded the service pack 2.
> Printer is hp g86xi
> printer is connected straight to the computer
>

> "Lem" wrote:
>
>> TJ wrote:
>>> I have been using the same printer for years. However my computer started
>>> giving me messages stating i can not print. I can print out fine for a few
>>> hours or a day, then all of a sudden it stops printing. It gives an error
>>> message stating it can not print.
>>>
>>> I have to shut down and restart my computer. Once i restart and login my
>>> jobs print.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

>> Words matter. Please quote the exact text of any error messages you get.
>>
>> Other helpful information would be
>>
>> - What version of Windows you have and whether you have kept it up to
>> date with Windows service packs and updates
>> - What make and model of printer you have
>> - How the printer is connected to the computer
>> - What changed just before this problem started happening
>>
>> --
>> Lem -- MS-MVP
>>
>> To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.
>> http://history.nasa.gov/afj/compessay.htm

You still left out the most important part: what does the error message
say?

--
Lem -- MS-MVP

TJ

      31st Mar 2008
"this document failed to print"
Document name - microsoft word refund report
printer name: hp office jet g85xi
time sent: 7:38:01am 3/31/08
Click here to open the print queue and then for assistance, click
troubleshooter on the help menu.

I have done the troubleshooter to try and fix the problem but nothing works.
The only thing that works is shutting down and restarting.

I do not receive any type of error code

Thanks!

"Lem" wrote:

> TJ wrote:
> > Sorry I should have included that information:
> >
> > I have windows xp. I believe the problem may have started happening when i
> > downloaded the service pack 2.
> > Printer is hp g86xi
> > printer is connected straight to the computer

> >> Words matter. Please quote the exact text of any error messages you get.
> >>
> >> Other helpful information would be
> >>
> >> - What version of Windows you have and whether you have kept it up to
> >> date with Windows service packs and updates
> >> - What make and model of printer you have
> >> - How the printer is connected to the computer
> >> - What changed just before this problem started happening
> >>
> >> --
> >> Lem -- MS-MVP
> >>
> >> To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.
> >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer
> >> http://history.nasa.gov/afj/compessay.htm
> >>

> You still left out the most important part: what does the error message
> say?
>
> --
> Lem -- MS-MVP

Lem

      31st Mar 2008
TJ wrote:
> "this document failed to print"
> Document name - microsoft word refund report
> printer name: hp office jet g85xi
> time sent: 7:38:01am 3/31/08
> Click here to open the print queue and then for assistance, click
> troubleshooter on the help menu.
>
> I have done the troubleshooter to try and fix the problem but nothing works.
> The only thing that works is shutting down and restarting.
>
> I do not receive any type of error code
>
> Thanks!
>

> "Lem" wrote:
>
>> TJ wrote:
>>> Sorry I should have included that information:
>>>
>>> I have windows xp. I believe the problem may have started happening when i
>>> downloaded the service pack 2.
>>> Printer is hp g86xi
>>> printer is connected straight to the computer

>> You still left out the most important part: what does the error message
>> say?
>>
>> --
>> Lem -- MS-MVP
>>
>> To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.
>> http://history.nasa.gov/afj/compessay.htm

Sorry, I can only make a general suggestion --
see http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article_One.htm

Also see this hp support doc:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...=58305&lang=en
short version: http://tinyurl.com/2cyanf

Note (near the bottom of the hp support doc) that you can either use the
hp drivers for XP or the built-in XP drivers, but only one or the other
should be installed. Typically, the built-in XP drivers will provide
only basic functions, so depending on what you use your g85 for, you
may want to try these to see if they will work.

--
Lem -- MS-MVP

TJ

      3rd Apr 2008
Thanks for the information. I have tried and worked for a couple days then
today it did the same thing where it won't print and i have to shut down and
restart.

"Lem" wrote:

> TJ wrote:
> > "this document failed to print"
> > Document name - microsoft word refund report
> > printer name: hp office jet g85xi
> > time sent: 7:38:01am 3/31/08
> > Click here to open the print queue and then for assistance, click
> > troubleshooter on the help menu.
> >
> > I have done the troubleshooter to try and fix the problem but nothing works.
> > The only thing that works is shutting down and restarting.
> >
> > I do not receive any type of error code
> >
> > Thanks!

> >> You still left out the most important part: what does the error message
> >> say?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Lem -- MS-MVP
> >>
> >> To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.
> >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer
> >> http://history.nasa.gov/afj/compessay.htm
> >>

> Sorry, I can only make a general suggestion --
> see http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article_One.htm
>
> Also see this hp support doc:
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...=58305&lang=en
> short version: http://tinyurl.com/2cyanf
>
> Note (near the bottom of the hp support doc) that you can either use the
> hp drivers for XP or the built-in XP drivers, but only one or the other
> should be installed. Typically, the built-in XP drivers will provide
> only basic functions, so depending on what you use your g85 for, you
> may want to try these to see if they will work.
>
> --
> Lem -- MS-MVP

Lem

      3rd Apr 2008
TJ wrote:
> Thanks for the information. I have tried and worked for a couple days then
> today it did the same thing where it won't print and i have to shut down and
> restart.

<snip>

>> Sorry, I can only make a general suggestion --
>> see http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article_One.htm
>>
>> Also see this hp support doc:
>> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...=58305&lang=en
>> short version: http://tinyurl.com/2cyanf
>>
>> Note (near the bottom of the hp support doc) that you can either use the
>> hp drivers for XP or the built-in XP drivers, but only one or the other
>> should be installed. Typically, the built-in XP drivers will provide
>> only basic functions, so depending on what you use your g85 for, you
>> may want to try these to see if they will work.

If you cleaned out the driver and re-installed it and then things worked
for a while ... and then they didn't, it sounds as if something is
corrupting your driver. Try to pin it down by recalling what you did
just before the problem started again.

On general principles, what is the malware status of your machine? Have
you done a thorough check for malware lately?

--
Lem -- MS-MVP

TJ

      3rd Apr 2008
I'm sorry i have no idea what "malware" is. How do i do a check?

Thanks so much for getting back to me!

"Lem" wrote:

> TJ wrote:
> > Thanks for the information. I have tried and worked for a couple days then
> > today it did the same thing where it won't print and i have to shut down and
> > restart.
> >

> <snip>
>
> >> Sorry, I can only make a general suggestion --
> >> see http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article_One.htm
> >>
> >> Also see this hp support doc:
> >> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...=58305&lang=en
> >> short version: http://tinyurl.com/2cyanf
> >>
> >> Note (near the bottom of the hp support doc) that you can either use the
> >> hp drivers for XP or the built-in XP drivers, but only one or the other
> >> should be installed. Typically, the built-in XP drivers will provide
> >> only basic functions, so depending on what you use your g85 for, you
> >> may want to try these to see if they will work.
> >>

> If you cleaned out the driver and re-installed it and then things worked
> for a while ... and then they didn't, it sounds as if something is
> corrupting your driver. Try to pin it down by recalling what you did
> just before the problem started again.
>
> On general principles, what is the malware status of your machine? Have
> you done a thorough check for malware lately?
>
> --
> Lem -- MS-MVP

Lem

      4th Apr 2008
TJ wrote:
> I'm sorry i have no idea what "malware" is. How do i do a check?
>
> Thanks so much for getting back to me!
>

> "Lem" wrote:
>
>> TJ wrote:
>>> Thanks for the information. I have tried and worked for a couple days then
>>> today it did the same thing where it won't print and i have to shut down and
>>> restart.
>>>

>> <snip>

>> If you cleaned out the driver and re-installed it and then things worked
>> for a while ... and then they didn't, it sounds as if something is
>> corrupting your driver. Try to pin it down by recalling what you did
>> just before the problem started again.
>>
>> On general principles, what is the malware status of your machine? Have
>> you done a thorough check for malware lately?
>>
>> --
>> Lem -- MS-MVP
>>
>> To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.
>> http://history.nasa.gov/afj/compessay.htm

Here's a definition:
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...iruses_Malware

and here's some good advice for dealing with it:

I'm not saying that your problem is necessarily caused by a virus,
spyware, or other malicious software, but

- if you haven't kept your Windows current with "critical" Microsoft
updates, patches, and services packs
- if you don't have a recent (say, less than about 2 years old)
antivirus application that you have kept regularly up-to-date
- if you don't at least check for the sorts of malicious software that
is *not* covered by antivirus applications
- if you use file-sharing programs
- if you surf to "questionable" web sites
- you aren't careful about clicking on e-mail attachments

etc., etc.,

you *might* have some malicious software on your machine and it *might*
be what's responsible for corrupting your printer driver.

--
Lem -- MS-MVP