All Aplications open in Wordpad

=?Utf-8?B?UHVua2JveQ==?=

      13th Jul 2005
I got some spyware/asware/virus on my computer and in the process of getting
it off somehow it changed that all my .exe files now open in wordpad.

Nothing works, I even had to go to another computer to get here.

I feel like an idiot and have no idea how to change it back so that things
work.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

      13th Jul 2005
Windows XP File Association Fixes

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Doug Knox]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...xp/choose.mspx

"Punkboy" wrote:

| I got some spyware/asware/virus on my computer and in the process of getting
| it off somehow it changed that all my .exe files now open in wordpad.
|
| Nothing works, I even had to go to another computer to get here.
|
| I feel like an idiot and have no idea how to change it back so that things
| work.

=?Utf-8?B?UHVua2JveQ==?=

      14th Jul 2005
Ok, I did that and it still not working.

Everything still opens into wordpad.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Windows XP File Association Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
>
> [Courtesy of MS-MVP Doug Knox]
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...xp/choose.mspx

> "Punkboy" wrote:
>
> | I got some spyware/asware/virus on my computer and in the process of getting
> | it off somehow it changed that all my .exe files now open in wordpad.
> |
> | Nothing works, I even had to go to another computer to get here.
> |
> | I feel like an idiot and have no idea how to change it back so that things
> | work.

Alan Edwards

      14th Jul 2005
Try this Swen fix to correct it.

http://download.nai.com/products/mca...rt/Fixswen.inf
(download, right-click, select Install)

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 17:18:02 -0700, "Punkboy"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ok, I did that and it still not working.
>
>Everything still opens into wordpad.
>
>"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Windows XP File Association Fixes
>> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
>>
>> [Courtesy of MS-MVP Doug Knox]
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>> Microsoft Newsgroups

>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...xp/choose.mspx

>> "Punkboy" wrote:
>>
>> | I got some spyware/asware/virus on my computer and in the process of getting
>> | it off somehow it changed that all my .exe files now open in wordpad.
>> |
>> | Nothing works, I even had to go to another computer to get here.
>> |
>> | I feel like an idiot and have no idea how to change it back so that things
>> | work.

Ramesh, MS-MVP

      14th Jul 2005
Click Start, Run and type "Command" and press Enter. Type the following and
then press Enter after typing each one:

cd\windows
regedit

Navigate to and select the following key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Mic*rosoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\*Explorer\FileExts\.exe

This key is probably causing all the trouble. If this key is present, delete
it. Close Regedit.

Additionally, download fixreg.com file from Grisoft Utilities page and run
it:

http://www.grisoft.cz/softw/70/filed...dir/fixreg.com

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP