Alienware motherboards

mtimerding@nospam.fuse.net

      4th Jan 2006
Does anyone know what kind of motherboard
Alienware uses and who makes it?

I ask because I just ordered an Alienware Aurora 7500
it says it has a Alienware Nforce 4 motherboard .....
then, on a picture of it was the word "Asus"......

I've heard Alienware was making their own mobo's now,
but that pic tells me it is an Asus. I am just curious,
what the equivalent Asus mobo is then ...

All I know is that for $4000.00, it better have a good
motherboard!

Thanks

Paul

      4th Jan 2006
In article <9c1ec$43bb0c36$48313371$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Does anyone know what kind of motherboard
> Alienware uses and who makes it?
>
> I ask because I just ordered an Alienware Aurora 7500
> it says it has a Alienware Nforce 4 motherboard .....
> then, on a picture of it was the word "Asus"......
>
> I've heard Alienware was making their own mobo's now,
> but that pic tells me it is an Asus. I am just curious,
> what the equivalent Asus mobo is then ...
>
> All I know is that for $4000.00, it better have a good
> motherboard!
>
> Thanks

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/200...re_7800/2.html

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe

"So, you're paying Alienware around 700 to build the system..."

Paul

paul

      4th Jan 2006

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9c1ec$43bb0c36$48313371$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone know what kind of motherboard
> Alienware uses and who makes it?
>
> I ask because I just ordered an Alienware Aurora 7500
> it says it has a Alienware Nforce 4 motherboard .....
> then, on a picture of it was the word "Asus"......
>
> I've heard Alienware was making their own mobo's now,
> but that pic tells me it is an Asus. I am just curious,
> what the equivalent Asus mobo is then ...
>
> All I know is that for $4000.00, it better have a good
> motherboard!
>
> Thanks

Wow that's a lot of overhead to pay out to Alienware!
You should consider building your own machines in the future.
You can save a lot of money!

pw

      4th Jan 2006
On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 23:43:56 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Does anyone know what kind of motherboard
>Alienware uses and who makes it?
>
>I ask because I just ordered an Alienware Aurora 7500
>it says it has a Alienware Nforce 4 motherboard .....
>then, on a picture of it was the word "Asus"......
>
>I've heard Alienware was making their own mobo's now,
>but that pic tells me it is an Asus. I am just curious,
>what the equivalent Asus mobo is then ...
>
>All I know is that for $4000.00, it better have a good
>motherboard!
>
>Thanks

The information sheet that came with my 7500 about a month ago (but I
didn't max out like you did! I guess it's kind of a weenie Alienware
system) says it was manufactured by ASUSTeK and is an A8N-SLI Deluxe.

-pw

use paul at williamsonenterprises dot com for e-mail

mtimerding@nospam.fuse.net

      4th Jan 2006

On 3-Jan-2006, (E-Mail Removed) (Paul) wrote:

> "So, you're paying Alienware around 700 to build the system..."

I know ... I also know, that because I have M.S.
I can't dig around inside a case and put it together
myself.

Paul

      4th Jan 2006
In article <82132$43bbc8d1$48313371$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> On 3-Jan-2006, (E-Mail Removed) (Paul) wrote:
>
> > "So, you're paying Alienware around 700 to build the system..."

> I know ... I also know, that because I have M.S.
> I can't dig around inside a case and put it together
> myself.

One of the local computer stores in my city, would assemble
a computer for $100 over the cost of the components. That included
installing Windows on it, so there was more than screwdriver
work done.

The Alienware should be a work of art, and there is nothing wrong
with having one - I guess I'm objecting to the degree of
gouging involved here. At least now you know that if the
machine doesn't work well, it is backed up by a 700
investment in service.

Paul

mtimerding@nospam.fuse.net

      4th Jan 2006

On 3-Jan-2006, pw <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I guess it's kind of a weenie Alienware system)

I dont think I 'maxed' out the one I ordered, but it
does have 4gb ram and 1tb disk space and an ATI
x1800xl Video card (whichever one the 512mb one is)
... But, on the other hand, I didn't get an AMD "FX" CPU,
just the 4200. And beleive it or not, the 4gb of ram was
a mistake. I *THOUGHT* I was orderding it
with only 1gb of ram, apparently I clicked on the wrong
thing.

Regardless of what you got, I would hardly call
your 7500 a "weenie" system !!!

Thanks For the reply

mtimerding@nospam.fuse.net

      4th Jan 2006

On 4-Jan-2006, (E-Mail Removed) (Paul) wrote:

> The Alienware should be a work of art, and there is nothing wrong
> with having one - I guess I'm objecting to the degree of
> gouging involved here. At least now you know that if the
> machine doesn't work well, it is backed up by a 700
> investment in service.

The sad part is that apparently the motherboard in my old
system (a K8V) was defective all along, but I didnt really know
it because it apparently worked fine all along, and the only problems
it displayed were with a couple applications that wouldnt run on it.
These being Iolo's System Mechanic's 'System Shield', and Panda
Internet Security. Both of these applications worked perfectly
BEFORE I installed the K8V, and I assumed it was just some
incompatibilty between the board (or the 64 Bit CPU) and
these applications, even tho both Panda and Iolo said there
wasnt an incompatibility issue.

Other than getting frequent hard drive errors (requiring running
a chkdsk) , the system ran perfectly for the 2 years it was installed,
and I always got very high benchmarking scores from PCPITSTOP,
3dMark 2003 and 2005, and Sisoft Sandra and a couple other
benchmark utils.

It had 4 hard drives, 2 IDE and 2 Sata. Initially, the 2 sata's were
installed in a non-raid set up. 3 months ago, all of a sudden the
system gave me errors on hard disk, every day, with every boot.
and reporting some corruption on either both, or one of the Sata
disks. This was every day, so I switched the two Sata's to a JBOD
array, and all of a sudden, NO errors of any kind in Event Viewer.

Until bam, the whole system went a couple weeks ago, would not
even boot. (would power up, then the display would go blank regardless
of what if anything the system was doing at the time), Shortly thereafter,
you couldnt even boot it with the Windows cd ... (Would always give an
error about ntfs.sys, OR atapi.sys, OR config.sys missing).
General consenses was either the motherboard or the powersupply
went. Because of above issues, and my very deep trust of
Antec Power supplies, I assume it was the motherboard.

Pity, it was the first system I ever built. Had 2 gig ram, 2 dvdrw's,
an AMD 3400 Cpu, the 4 hard drives, an Antec Tru Power 550 watt
power supply, 5 cooling fans and seemed to run very well. (unless I screwed
up
the mobo during the install) I was pretty proud of myself. Everything
was in, and seemed to be working fine (even tho it I will admit, looked
like a spaghetti factory inside it) I patted myself on the back and
figured not bad for a guy with a case of the 'shakes'!!!!!

So this time, I said to hell with it, I am gonna just buy exactly
what I want ....... I'll put the two dvdrw's and two of the harddrives
into it, and everything else will be newly assembled at the factory.

Gordon Scott

      5th Jan 2006
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> On 3-Jan-2006, pw <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I guess it's kind of a weenie Alienware system)

> I dont think I 'maxed' out the one I ordered, but it
> does have 4gb ram and 1tb disk space and an ATI
> x1800xl Video card (whichever one the 512mb one is)
> .. But, on the other hand, I didn't get an AMD "FX" CPU,
> just the 4200. And beleive it or not, the 4gb of ram was
> a mistake. I *THOUGHT* I was orderding it
> with only 1gb of ram, apparently I clicked on the wrong
> thing.
>
> Regardless of what you got, I would hardly call
> your 7500 a "weenie" system !!!
>
> Thanks For the reply

Did you ever think of calling them and asking for 2 gigs instead of 4?
Alienware is supposed to be renowned for their customer service. Post
back and let us know.

things i think suk already, XL video card and not an XT, 4 gigs of what
ram exactly, with what timings?

mtimerding@nospam.fuse.net

      5th Jan 2006

On 5-Jan-2006, Gordon Scott <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Did you ever think of calling them and asking for 2 gigs instead of 4?

No, I decided to go ahead and get it then, being as the system was
capable of 4, and I would just end up buying an additional 2 later and
installing it, and hence, probably end up screwing up the system somehow.
Tho I currently have 3 gigs of ram laying around here (1gb of Corsair XMS
and 2gb of Crucial....all pc3200) I figured didnt want to risk a mismatch
or something and end up screwing something up.

I am betting the ram (timings) will be pretty good tho. All the order says,
is "4 gb Low Latency Ram" .... the last time I ordered from Alienware
and the order said something like that, it came with Corsair XMS Ram.
(the previously mentioned 1gb Corsair XMS I mentioned)
It is the xt video card I got, I couldnt remember. (thats why I specified
"whichever one is the 512mb one")

I am quite sure I could have changed the order from 4gb to 2gb if I wanted.
I had already called them once and changed the cpu from a 3800 to the 4200,
and had originally ordered with the stock NVidia video card and changed it
to the ATI.

Being as this is my second Alienware system, the other one was put together
very well, the customer service was good, AND their web site has a good
support
section and a 'users forum' (where a user can not only exchange info/ideas
with fellow users, but also ask 'tech support' type questions and have it be
answered by Alienware techs.)

I know you hear an occassional complaint from some disgruntled customer,
but I can assure you there are a LOT more happy customers.

Their biggest benefit as I see it? Alienware ALLOWS you (and will even
assist
you) upgrading their systems, putting your own parts in, etc.

You never get "Oh, you put a tv card not bought from us in there? Sorry, we
dont
support that or your systen with that in it" (or they didnt use to anyway)
I dont expect them to back the tv card I bought from somewhere else, but
I do expect them to continue to back WHAT THEY SOLD ME.

Guess I will find out if anything has changed when I get the system.

(I am very happy to learn it has an Asus motherboard in it)