After HD 3650 upgrade I still get 'Found new hardware'

Mike Ray

      10th Nov 2008
Pulled out a working ATI X700 - Put in a HD 3650 (needed Shader 3.0)

Here is what I did:
1. Went into ADD/Remove and removed ALL ATI stuff.
2. When a reboot was required, I rebooted to VGA 'safe mode'
3. Shut down and turned off system
4. pulled X700 pci-e and installed HD 3460 pci-e
5. restarted XP normally and got 'Found new hardware' pop-up
6. canceled 'Found new hardware' and put in ATI driver CD (came with card
7. Installed driver, CCC etc. (took several min)
8. Rebooted after driver finished but again got 'Found new hardware'
9. again canceled 'Found new hardware'
10. Set up desktop res and tried some games. (Far Cry 1, UT3(now works),
Raven Shield, TRL(could now turn advanced graphics) , TR underworld demo)

Everything works and looks great except:
1. Every time I re-boot I get the 'Found new hardware'pop-up
2. Device Manager has a problem with 'unknown PCI device'

Did I miss something? (I did set BIOS to PCI when I put in the X700
about 3 years ago. and it work great, no 'Found new hardware' pop-up)

BTW:
HP - a1130n (completely stock except video) (MSI RS480)
XP home SP2 (up to date)
on board sound
video driver - forgot to check what version was on the included CD disk,
but I assume the 'Found new hardware' is not a driver version problem
but maybe a driver instillation problem??
thanks,
Mike

DRS

      10th Nov 2008
"Mike Ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gf9hd5$bhm$(E-Mail Removed)
> Pulled out a working ATI X700 - Put in a HD 3650 (needed Shader 3.0)

[...]

> Did I miss something? (I did set BIOS to PCI when I put in the X700
> about 3 years ago. and it work great, no 'Found new hardware' pop-up)

Did you install the HDMI audio driver?

Anton Ertl

      10th Nov 2008
Mike Ray <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>Pulled out a working ATI X700 - Put in a HD 3650 (needed Shader 3.0)
>
>Here is what I did:
>1. Went into ADD/Remove and removed ALL ATI stuff.
>2. When a reboot was required, I rebooted to VGA 'safe mode'
>3. Shut down and turned off system
>4. pulled X700 pci-e and installed HD 3460 pci-e
>5. restarted XP normally and got 'Found new hardware' pop-up
>6. canceled 'Found new hardware' and put in ATI driver CD (came with card
>7. Installed driver, CCC etc. (took several min)
>8. Rebooted after driver finished but again got 'Found new hardware'
>9. again canceled 'Found new hardware'
>10. Set up desktop res and tried some games. (Far Cry 1, UT3(now works),
>Raven Shield, TRL(could now turn advanced graphics) , TR underworld demo)
>
>Everything works and looks great except:
>1. Every time I re-boot I get the 'Found new hardware'pop-up
>2. Device Manager has a problem with 'unknown PCI device'

I guess there is another device on the card which needs a separate
driver. Since you alwas cancel its installation, it never gets
installed. You could look in the device manager which device has no
driver, and maybe disable the device if you don't want to install the
driver for it (just an educated guess, I'm no Windows expert).

- anton
http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/(E-Mail Removed) Most things have to be believed to be seen

me/2

      11th Nov 2008
On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 23:55:57 +0000, Shawk <(E-Mail Removed).3guesses>
wrote:

:>DRS wrote:
:>> "Mike Ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
:>> news:gf9hd5$bhm$(E-Mail Removed)
:>>> Pulled out a working ATI X700 - Put in a HD 3650 (needed Shader 3.0)
:>>
:>> [...]
:>>
:>>> Did I miss something? (I did set BIOS to PCI when I put in the X700
:>>> about 3 years ago. and it work great, no 'Found new hardware' pop-up)
:>>
:>> Did you install the HDMI audio driver?
:>
:>
:>That gets my vote too..

Me three...

me/2

Mike Ray

      11th Nov 2008
me/2 wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 23:55:57 +0000, Shawk <(E-Mail Removed).3guesses>
> wrote:
>
> :>DRS wrote:
> :>> "Mike Ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> :>> news:gf9hd5$bhm$(E-Mail Removed)
> :>>> Pulled out a working ATI X700 - Put in a HD 3650 (needed Shader 3.0)
> :>>
> :>> [...]
> :>>
> :>>> Did I miss something? (I did set BIOS to PCI when I put in the X700
> :>>> about 3 years ago. and it work great, no 'Found new hardware' pop-up)
> :>>
> :>> Did you install the HDMI audio driver?
> :>
> :>
> :>That gets my vote too..
>
> Me three...
>
> me/2

OK not that I know of. You would think it would install with CCC and the
drivers. I don't use the HDMI port yet but will check. Do you install it
through CCC or seperate.

Mike Ray

      11th Nov 2008
Anton Ertl wrote:
> Mike Ray <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> Pulled out a working ATI X700 - Put in a HD 3650 (needed Shader 3.0)
>>
>> Here is what I did:
>> 1. Went into ADD/Remove and removed ALL ATI stuff.
>> 2. When a reboot was required, I rebooted to VGA 'safe mode'
>> 3. Shut down and turned off system
>> 4. pulled X700 pci-e and installed HD 3460 pci-e
>> 5. restarted XP normally and got 'Found new hardware' pop-up
>> 6. canceled 'Found new hardware' and put in ATI driver CD (came with card
>> 7. Installed driver, CCC etc. (took several min)
>> 8. Rebooted after driver finished but again got 'Found new hardware'
>> 9. again canceled 'Found new hardware'
>> 10. Set up desktop res and tried some games. (Far Cry 1, UT3(now works),
>> Raven Shield, TRL(could now turn advanced graphics) , TR underworld demo)
>>
>> Everything works and looks great except:
>> 1. Every time I re-boot I get the 'Found new hardware'pop-up
>> 2. Device Manager has a problem with 'unknown PCI device'

> I guess there is another device on the card which needs a separate
> driver. Since you alwas cancel its installation, it never gets
> installed. You could look in the device manager which device has no
> driver, and maybe disable the device if you don't want to install the
> driver for it (just an educated guess, I'm no Windows expert).
>
> - anton

Thanks. Sounds like (and from other posts also) you are right. It is
likely the HDMI sound driver. I did try to install it (instead of
cancel) but it could not find the correct driver even on the CD that
come with the card. I will look some more in the CD's sup folders.

DRS

      12th Nov 2008
"Mike Ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gfcbuc$fd1$(E-Mail Removed)

[...]

> OK not that I know of. You would think it would install with CCC and
> the drivers. I don't use the HDMI port yet but will check. Do you
> install it through CCC or seperate.

If you're installing from the ~75MB setup package that comes with the card
it's part of the chain of installations that you apparently cancelled part
way through. However, you can download it and install it separately. The
ATI HDMI Audio driver is ~3.4MB. For XP SP2 and earlier you may also need
to install a Microsoft patch (KB888111), also available from the ATI
download site. It's ~700KB.

Mike Ray

      12th Nov 2008
DRS wrote:
> "Mike Ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:gfcbuc$fd1$(E-Mail Removed)
>
> [...]
>
>> OK not that I know of. You would think it would install with CCC and
>> the drivers. I don't use the HDMI port yet but will check. Do you
>> install it through CCC or seperate.

> If you're installing from the ~75MB setup package that comes with the card
> it's part of the chain of installations that you apparently cancelled part
> way through. However, you can download it and install it separately. The
> ATI HDMI Audio driver is ~3.4MB. For XP SP2 and earlier you may also need
> to install a Microsoft patch (KB888111), also available from the ATI
> download site. It's ~700KB.

Thanks I will check both the driver and patch...BTW I did let the
install finish the first time. I ran CCC and set up my desk top and all
looked good. It was at the next boot, latter that day, the XP 'found new
hardware' but could not find the required file (even on the ATI CD).

Haven't had much chance to look into it yet, too busy with online RVS...hehe

Mike Ray

      14th Nov 2008
Mike Ray wrote:
> DRS wrote:
>> "Mike Ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:gfcbuc$fd1$(E-Mail Removed)
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> OK not that I know of. You would think it would install with CCC and
>>> the drivers. I don't use the HDMI port yet but will check. Do you
>>> install it through CCC or seperate.

>> If you're installing from the ~75MB setup package that comes with the
>> card it's part of the chain of installations that you apparently
>> cancelled part way through. However, you can download it and install
>> it separately. The ATI HDMI Audio driver is ~3.4MB. For XP SP2 and
>> earlier you may also need to install a Microsoft patch (KB888111),
>> also available from the ATI download site. It's ~700KB.
>>

> Thanks I will check both the driver and patch...BTW I did let the
> install finish the first time. I ran CCC and set up my desk top and all
> looked good. It was at the next boot, latter that day, the XP 'found new
> hardware' but could not find the required file (even on the ATI CD).
>
> Haven't had much chance to look into it yet, too busy with online
> RVS...hehe

Ok I rechecked the ATI CD and yes there is an HDAudio driver folder with
and *.inf and other files. I went to device manager then too the 'pci
device' that had no driver and said 'up date the driver' and look in the
HDaudio folder on the ATI CD. It still could not find the correct
driver?? By the HD activity I could tell it was also looking in folders
on the HD. Isn't the *.inf file all that is needed to direct you to and
load the driver?? Thanks

Mike Ray

      18th Nov 2008
Mike Ray wrote:
> Mike Ray wrote:
>> DRS wrote:
>>> "Mike Ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:gfcbuc$fd1$(E-Mail Removed)
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>

> Ok I rechecked the ATI CD and yes there is an HDAudio driver folder with
> and *.inf and other files. I went to device manager then too the 'pci
> device' that had no driver and said 'up date the driver' and look in the
> HDaudio folder on the ATI CD. It still could not find the correct
> driver?? By the HD activity I could tell it was also looking in folders
> on the HD. Isn't the *.inf file all that is needed to direct you to and
> load the driver?? Thanks

Well here is another problem that started. CCC pops up and says the
'current driver is not compatible with CCC - Please update your driver'.
Anyone seen that? Is this the HDMI audio problem (which I can't seem to
fix) still? Gee the driver and CCC were on the same CD!
Thanks,
Mike