Advantages of using VB.net and Access (backend)

a a r o n _ k e m p f

      2nd Jul 2008
Bruce is a pansy that is stuck making $12/hour-- just because he
listens to the old dipshits around here
Access - as a database - is dead and it has been for a decade.

Just use SQL Server, it's the worlds most popular db.

On Jul 2, 4:35*am, "BruceM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Aaron has one answer for everything, and at that provides little information
> about how to implement his invariable, all-purpose "suggestion". *Don't look
> to him for useful comments.
>
> "Louverril" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > Thanks Aaron,

> > There ar ereasons not to use SQL server - like the need tfor *non IT
> > person
> > to be able to install the system. Please see my reply to Larry - have you
> > any
> > comments?

> > Thanks
> > Lou

> > "a a r o n _ k e m p f" wrote:

> >> using VB.net with MS Access is just a joke-- if you know how to build
> >> a front end-- using .NET- just use SQL Server

> >> -Aaron

David W. Fenton

      2nd Jul 2008
=?Utf-8?B?TG91dmVycmls?= <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> But I am trying to get a list of clear watertight reasons why not
> to do it in VB.

What's your list of POSITIVE reasons for using VB?

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/

Brendan Reynolds

      3rd Jul 2008
"Louverril" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Larry,
>
> I tend to agree - that is my gut feeling - and basically I want to do it
> in
> Access. But I am trying to get a list of clear watertight reasons why not
> do it in VB.
>
> The software is as I describe and will need to be installed easily by a
> non
> IT professional (via install package – which I have for Access).
>
> I have the following reasons not to do it as VB front end and want to be
> sure that I am correct:
>
> • It will be more expensive

Yes, a lot more.

> • It will require more IT support to install (as the various .Net elements
> plus stuff like MS Data Access Components will need to be installed)

Well. Not so sure about this one. There might be some additional compoents
to install, depending on what is already installed, of course, but none of
it is really very complicated or onerous. I'd say it's a minor issue.

> • It may require additional hardware as the system requirements for .NET
> are
> higher than Access Runtime???

Not convinced about this one. I think any PC capable of running the Access
2007 runtime would probably be capable of running a well designed .NET app.

> • More expensive to make simple changes.

Absolutely.

> • Loss of default links to other Office programs.

Yes.

> • If SQL were used instead of office loss of familiar querying options.

Assuming this means SQL Server instead of JET, well, that's shifting the
goal posts significantly. The orignal question was about using VB.NET and an
Access (JET) database. If the data source becomes SQL Server, that's a whole
different discussion IMHO. On this specific point, though, well, a lot of
things that we're used to doing in queries in Access won't work anymore, but
on the upside we get access (no pun intended) to all the power of T-SQL.

> • If SQL Server (including Express) were used it couldn’t be installed via
> simple install package

SQL Server Express is not difficult to install.

I'll add to your list the loss of Access's excellent integrated report
designer and reporting engine. If you move to SQL Server you can use
Reporting Services, which works, but is complicated, and the designer is not
nearly as good as the Access report designer. Otherwise, you'll likely have
to resort to a third party reporting solution.

Bottom line, the main reasons not to do it in .NET are it will take longer
and cost more. Yes, there are things that you can do in .NET that you can't
do in Access, but that's not an argument in favour of using .NET unless you
actually have a need to do one or more of those things. If you don't have a
reason to do them, then the ability to do them if you did want to do them
isn't really a whole heck of a lot of use to you.

--
Brendan Reynolds

So Sorry For Poor Aaron

      4th Jul 2008
Its head is empty of all but its obsession with SQL Server. It lacks
real-world experience, it seems to think every user is an Admin, it thinks
all any user has to do is manage the database, not use it, it thinks ADP is a
real solution for everyday users not just for developer dorks, and if it
knows how easy it would be to use it, how come it doesn't even know what the
'package and deployment wizard or whatever it's called' is called. It
specializes in "answers" that don't give any specifics; doesn't help, just
purposely misleads. What is it?

It's not a bird, it's not a plane, it's not Superman. It's empty-headed
aaron with its dried-up pea brain rattling around inside its skull, making a
pest of itself again.

"a a r o n _ k e m p f" wrote:

> question your premises

So Sorry For Poor Aaron

      4th Jul 2008
"a a r o n _ k e m p f" wrote:

> using VB.net with MS Access is just a joke

a vb.net app for this requirement is just a joke. aaron's a comedian, too.

> if you know how to build a front end-- using .NET

you'd know it will be incredibly expensive, take a lot longer, and the OP's
company would have to hire a maintenance staff for it -- no, aaron sweetie,
they ain't gonna hire YOU!

> just use SQL Server

aaron's a one-trick pony

a a r o n _ k e m p f

      4th Jul 2008
SQL Server doesn't need a DBA
not any more so than Access does.

Of course-- SQL Server is self-tuning, and it shrinks after itself.

and Access DOES NOT.

I don't need anyone to hire me, kid.. I got work coming out of my
ears.

-Aaron

On Jul 3, 7:53*pm, So Sorry For Poor Aaron
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "a a r o n _ k e m p f" wrote:
>
> > using VB.net with MS Access is just a joke

> a vb.net app for this requirement is just a joke. aaron's a comedian, too..
>
> *> if you know how to build a front end-- using .NET
>
> you'd know it will be incredibly expensive, take a lot longer, and the OP's
> company would have to hire a maintenance staff for it -- no, aaron sweetie,
> they ain't gonna hire YOU!
>
> *> just use SQL Server
>
> aaron's a one-trick pony

a a r o n _ k e m p f

      4th Jul 2008
ADP is a great solution.

When a typical Access crybaby starts blaming thing on the network--
that's when you need to move to SQL Server

ADP works great over VPN, wireless, WAN and LAN.
Access is stuck in the 80s

On Jul 3, 7:29*pm, So Sorry For Poor Aaron
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Its head is empty of all but its obsession with SQL Server. It lacks
> real-world experience, it seems to think every user is an Admin, it thinks
> all any user has to do is manage the database, not use it, it thinks ADP is a
> real solution for everyday users not just for developer dorks, and if it
> knows how easy it would be to use it, how come it doesn't even know what the
> 'package and deployment wizard or whatever it's called' is called. It
> specializes in "answers" that don't give any specifics; doesn't help, just
> purposely misleads. What is it?
>
> It's not a bird, it's not a plane, it's not Superman. *It's empty-headed
> aaron with its dried-up pea brain rattling around inside its skull, making a
> pest of itself again.
>
> "a a r o n _ k e m p f" wrote:
>
> > question your premises

a a r o n _ k e m p f

      4th Jul 2008
I'm not so sure that I agree-- Reporting Services designers-- any
version, including the Report Builder for christ sakes-- is 100 times
better than Access Reports.
**** just works.

Bring in data from 3 different sources?

REPORTING SERVICES MAKES IT EASIER AND IT IS 100 TIME SUPERIOR TO
ACCESS