Advantages of using VB.net and Access (backend)

Louverril

      1st Jul 2008
Can anyone give me the advantages and disadvantages of using vb.net front end
and an Access backend against an Access front end and Access backend.

The current totally Access 2007 application (split frontend/backend) has
about 17 tables, approx. 17 forms (inc. subforms), 37 queries, approx 64 VBA
subs/functions, 24 reports (inc. subreports). It needs “re-engineering”.

Concurrent users unlikely to be more than two (2).

The only factor I’m sure of is that the VB.Net development will be more
costly however what about things like increase in support requirements??,
loss of default integration with MS Office programs??, limitations of
querying?? etc. with using .Net.

On the other hand would there be any advantages using .net – I can’t think
of any but I am not as familiar with it as some of my associates?

Thanks Lou

Larry Linson

      1st Jul 2008
If your users are going to be individual, accessing the application on their
own machine, or on a LAN, it would be sheer folly to "convert to .NET". I'm
not sure how you determined it "needs re-engineering", but, if so, and it is
local / LAN, you should re-engineer it in Access.

Typically, if you hire someone to convert the app to .NET, you are going to
incur expenses far beyond your expectations, and end up with an application
that is of no more (and perhaps less) utility to your business. You may also
incur the overhead of a .NET developer or few, with accompanying
infrastructure, a server database (e.g., MS SQL Server) and a DBA (all
server DBs need a certain amount of regular, routine TLC) because few
..NETters will be comfortable working with Jet or ACE databases, though you
might pay some performance penalties and use SharePoint as your datastore
(you can do that with Access, too, and SharePoint access has been improve in
Access 2007).

I would say that an application upgrade within Access ought to be perfectly
satisfactory (given the environment I described in the first paragraph), but
I'd fear that a .NET re-implementation might end up a failure, far
over-budget, and without benefits -- a potentially career-ending option.
Unless details not posted here reveal a compelling need, I'd forget the .NET
re-implementation idea.

Larry Linson
Microsoft Office Access MVP

"Louverril" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can anyone give me the advantages and disadvantages of using vb.net front
> end
> and an Access backend against an Access front end and Access backend.
>
> The current totally Access 2007 application (split frontend/backend) has
> about 17 tables, approx. 17 forms (inc. subforms), 37 queries, approx 64
> VBA
> subs/functions, 24 reports (inc. subreports). It needs "re-engineering".
>
> Concurrent users unlikely to be more than two (2).
>
> The only factor I'm sure of is that the VB.Net development will be more
> costly however what about things like increase in support requirements??,
> loss of default integration with MS Office programs??, limitations of
> querying?? etc. with using .Net.
>
> On the other hand would there be any advantages using .net - I can't think
> of any but I am not as familiar with it as some of my associates?
>
> Thanks Lou

David W. Fenton

      2nd Jul 2008
=?Utf-8?B?TG91dmVycmls?= <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Concurrent users unlikely to be more than two (2).

Going with anything but Access for this would be COMPLETELY INSANE.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/

a a r o n _ k e m p f

      2nd Jul 2008
using VB.net with MS Access is just a joke-- if you know how to build
a front end-- using .NET- just use SQL Server

-Aaron

On Jul 1, 5:55*am, Louverril <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Can anyone give me the advantages and disadvantages of using vb.net front end
> and an Access backend against an Access front end and Access backend.
>
> The current totally Access 2007 application (split frontend/backend) *has
> about 17 tables, approx. 17 forms (inc. subforms), 37 queries, approx 64 VBA
> subs/functions, 24 reports (inc. subreports). *It needs re-engineering.
>
> Concurrent users unlikely to be more than two (2).
>
> The only factor Im sure of is that the VB.Net development will be more
> costly however what about things like increase in support requirements??,
> loss of default integration with MS Office programs??, limitations of
> querying?? etc. with using .Net.
>
> On the other hand would there be any advantages using .net I cant think
> of any but I am not as familiar with it as some of my associates?
>
> Thanks Lou

Louverril

      2nd Jul 2008
Larry,

I tend to agree - that is my gut feeling - and basically I want to do it in
Access. But I am trying to get a list of clear watertight reasons why not to
do it in VB.

The software is as I describe and will need to be installed easily by a non
IT professional (via install package – which I have for Access).

I have the following reasons not to do it as VB front end and want to be
sure that I am correct:

• It will be more expensive
• It will require more IT support to install (as the various .Net elements
plus stuff like MS Data Access Components will need to be installed)
• It may require additional hardware as the system requirements for .NET are
higher than Access Runtime???
• More expensive to make simple changes.
• Loss of default links to other Office programs.
• If SQL were used instead of office loss of familiar querying options.
• If SQL Server (including Express) were used it couldn’t be installed via a
simple install package

I have had no feedback on the three forums I have added this query as to why
VB.net would be better - other than:
It is more robust – what’s not robust in Access up to at least 10 users (no
matter how badly it's written??) I have had no experience of problems with
Access – what am I missing?
You can do things you can't do in Access - like what? No one can actually
tell me.

If I do it in .NET I want a watertight technical and business reason – I
haven’t seen one yet.

Any comments on the above - are the points I have made correct?

Thanks

"Larry Linson" wrote:

> If your users are going to be individual, accessing the application on their
> own machine, or on a LAN, it would be sheer folly to "convert to .NET". I'm
> not sure how you determined it "needs re-engineering", but, if so, and it is
> local / LAN, you should re-engineer it in Access.
>
> Typically, if you hire someone to convert the app to .NET, you are going to
> incur expenses far beyond your expectations, and end up with an application
> that is of no more (and perhaps less) utility to your business. You may also
> incur the overhead of a .NET developer or few, with accompanying
> infrastructure, a server database (e.g., MS SQL Server) and a DBA (all
> server DBs need a certain amount of regular, routine TLC) because few
> ..NETters will be comfortable working with Jet or ACE databases, though you
> might pay some performance penalties and use SharePoint as your datastore
> (you can do that with Access, too, and SharePoint access has been improve in
> Access 2007).
>
> I would say that an application upgrade within Access ought to be perfectly
> satisfactory (given the environment I described in the first paragraph), but
> I'd fear that a .NET re-implementation might end up a failure, far
> over-budget, and without benefits -- a potentially career-ending option.
> Unless details not posted here reveal a compelling need, I'd forget the .NET
> re-implementation idea.
>
> Larry Linson
> Microsoft Office Access MVP
>
> "Louverril" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Can anyone give me the advantages and disadvantages of using vb.net front
> > end
> > and an Access backend against an Access front end and Access backend.
> >
> > The current totally Access 2007 application (split frontend/backend) has
> > about 17 tables, approx. 17 forms (inc. subforms), 37 queries, approx 64
> > VBA
> > subs/functions, 24 reports (inc. subreports). It needs "re-engineering".
> >
> > Concurrent users unlikely to be more than two (2).
> >
> > The only factor I'm sure of is that the VB.Net development will be more
> > costly however what about things like increase in support requirements??,
> > loss of default integration with MS Office programs??, limitations of
> > querying?? etc. with using .Net.
> >
> > On the other hand would there be any advantages using .net - I can't think
> > of any but I am not as familiar with it as some of my associates?
> >
> > Thanks Lou

Louverril

      2nd Jul 2008
David,

Please see my reply to Larry - do you have any comments to add.

Thanks

"David W. Fenton" wrote:

> =?Utf-8?B?TG91dmVycmls?= <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > Concurrent users unlikely to be more than two (2).

> Going with anything but Access for this would be COMPLETELY INSANE.
>
> --
> David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
> usenet at dfenton dot com http://www.dfenton.com/DFA/

Louverril

      2nd Jul 2008
Thanks Aaron,

There ar ereasons not to use SQL server - like the need tfor non IT person
to be able to install the system. Please see my reply to Larry - have you any
comments?

Thanks
Lou

"a a r o n _ k e m p f" wrote:

> using VB.net with MS Access is just a joke-- if you know how to build
> a front end-- using .NET- just use SQL Server
>
> -Aaron
>

> On Jul 1, 5:55 am, Louverril <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
> > Can anyone give me the advantages and disadvantages of using vb.net front end
> > and an Access backend against an Access front end and Access backend.
> >
> > The current totally Access 2007 application (split frontend/backend) has
> > about 17 tables, approx. 17 forms (inc. subforms), 37 queries, approx 64 VBA
> > subs/functions, 24 reports (inc. subreports). It needs “re-engineering”.
> >
> > Concurrent users unlikely to be more than two (2).
> >
> > The only factor I’m sure of is that the VB.Net development will be more
> > costly however what about things like increase in support requirements??,
> > loss of default integration with MS Office programs??, limitations of
> > querying?? etc. with using .Net.
> >
> > On the other hand would there be any advantages using .net – I can’t think
> > of any but I am not as familiar with it as some of my associates?
> >
> > Thanks Lou

BruceM

      2nd Jul 2008
Aaron has one answer for everything, and at that provides little information
about how to implement his invariable, all-purpose "suggestion". Don't look
to him for useful comments.

"Louverril" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks Aaron,
>
> There ar ereasons not to use SQL server - like the need tfor non IT
> person
> to be able to install the system. Please see my reply to Larry - have you
> any
> comments?
>
> Thanks
> Lou
>
> "a a r o n _ k e m p f" wrote:
>
>> using VB.net with MS Access is just a joke-- if you know how to build
>> a front end-- using .NET- just use SQL Server
>>
>> -Aaron
>>

>> On Jul 1, 5:55 am, Louverril <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>> > Can anyone give me the advantages and disadvantages of using vb.net
>> > front end
>> > and an Access backend against an Access front end and Access backend.
>> >
>> > The current totally Access 2007 application (split frontend/backend)
>> > has
>> > about 17 tables, approx. 17 forms (inc. subforms), 37 queries, approx
>> > 64 VBA
>> > subs/functions, 24 reports (inc. subreports). It needs
>> > “re-engineering”.
>> >
>> > Concurrent users unlikely to be more than two (2).
>> >
>> > The only factor I’m sure of is that the VB.Net development will be more
>> > costly however what about things like increase in support
>> > requirements??,
>> > loss of default integration with MS Office programs??, limitations of
>> > querying?? etc. with using .Net.
>> >
>> > On the other hand would there be any advantages using .net – I can’t
>> > think
>> > of any but I am not as familiar with it as some of my associates?
>> >
>> > Thanks Lou

Louverril

      2nd Jul 2008
Thanks Bruce.

"BruceM" wrote:

> Aaron has one answer for everything, and at that provides little information
> about how to implement his invariable, all-purpose "suggestion". Don't look
> to him for useful comments.
>
> "Louverril" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thanks Aaron,
> >
> > There ar ereasons not to use SQL server - like the need tfor non IT
> > person
> > to be able to install the system. Please see my reply to Larry - have you
> > any
> > comments?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Lou
> >
> > "a a r o n _ k e m p f" wrote:
> >
> >> using VB.net with MS Access is just a joke-- if you know how to build
> >> a front end-- using .NET- just use SQL Server
> >>
> >> -Aaron

a a r o n _ k e m p f

      2nd Jul 2008
question your premises

a) is it _THAT_ hard to maintain SQL Server? it comes free, it's easy
to setup
b) SQL Server you don't need to even register a database to the server
now; it's called a 'user connection' right?
c) you can easily package SQL Server Express using the 'package and
deployment wizard' or whatever it's called
d) non-IT people are plenty capable of hitting yes, yes, next, yes.
e) it's all about future proofing. Jet is _NOT_ secure. if your db
has _ANYTHING_ to do with 'people or money' you should use SQL Server
just for security reasons.