gurvinder.nijjar

      26th Apr 2006
have a windows 2000 native domain running. I have 3 sites and each site
has 2 windows 2000 domain controllers. I want to upgrade to windows 2003.
Firstly I will need to run adprep on the DC which holds all the OM roles.
Would it be best to disconnect this DC from the network and then run the
adprep command. If i get any problems and want to rollback can i just
restore the latest systemstate backup on this DC before i connect it back to
the network.

Some articles suggest this and i just want to confirm this.

Jorge de Almeida Pinto [MVP]

      26th Apr 2006
no, do not disconnect

instead disable replication

see:
http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/jorge...11/19/110.aspx

--

Cheers,
(HOPEFULLY THIS INFORMATION HELPS YOU!)

# Jorge de Almeida Pinto # MVP Windows Server - Directory Services

BLOG --> http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/jorge/default.aspx
* This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights!
* Always test before implementing!

"gurvinder.nijjar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> have a windows 2000 native domain running. I have 3 sites and each site
> has 2 windows 2000 domain controllers. I want to upgrade to windows 2003.
> Firstly I will need to run adprep on the DC which holds all the OM roles.
> Would it be best to disconnect this DC from the network and then run the
> adprep command. If i get any problems and want to rollback can i just
> restore the latest systemstate backup on this DC before i connect it back
> the network.
>
> Some articles suggest this and i just want to confirm this.

Jmnts

      26th Apr 2006
Hi

You need the Schema Master role to perform adprep /forestprep
and You need the I.M to perform the adprep /domainprep

Like Jorge Said disable the replication instead.

--
I Hop that helps

Best Regards
Systems Administrator
MCSA + Exchange

"Jorge de Almeida Pinto [MVP]"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> no, do not disconnect
>
> instead disable replication
>
> see:
> http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/jorge...11/19/110.aspx
>
> --
>
> Cheers,
> (HOPEFULLY THIS INFORMATION HELPS YOU!)
>
> # Jorge de Almeida Pinto # MVP Windows Server - Directory Services
>
> BLOG --> http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/jorge/default.aspx
> * This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no
> rights!
> * Always test before implementing!

> "gurvinder.nijjar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> have a windows 2000 native domain running. I have 3 sites and each site
>> has 2 windows 2000 domain controllers. I want to upgrade to windows
>> 2003.
>> Firstly I will need to run adprep on the DC which holds all the OM roles.
>> Would it be best to disconnect this DC from the network and then run the
>> adprep command. If i get any problems and want to rollback can i just
>> restore the latest systemstate backup on this DC before i connect it back
>> the network.
>>
>> Some articles suggest this and i just want to confirm this.

gurvinder.nijjar

      26th Apr 2006
how would you disable replication.

Would restoring the systemstate on the DC roll it back to the previous
schema
"Jmnts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> You need the Schema Master role to perform adprep /forestprep
> and You need the I.M to perform the adprep /domainprep
>
> Like Jorge Said disable the replication instead.
>
> --
> I Hop that helps
>
> Best Regards
> Systems Administrator
> MCSA + Exchange
>

> "Jorge de Almeida Pinto [MVP]"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> no, do not disconnect
>>
>> instead disable replication
>>
>> see:
>> http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/jorge...11/19/110.aspx
>>
>> --
>>
>> Cheers,
>> (HOPEFULLY THIS INFORMATION HELPS YOU!)
>>
>> # Jorge de Almeida Pinto # MVP Windows Server - Directory Services
>>
>> BLOG --> http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/jorge/default.aspx
>> * This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no
>> rights!
>> * Always test before implementing!

>> "gurvinder.nijjar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> have a windows 2000 native domain running. I have 3 sites and each site
>>> has 2 windows 2000 domain controllers. I want to upgrade to windows
>>> 2003.
>>> Firstly I will need to run adprep on the DC which holds all the OM
>>> roles.
>>> Would it be best to disconnect this DC from the network and then run the
>>> adprep command. If i get any problems and want to rollback can i just
>>> restore the latest systemstate backup on this DC before i connect it
>>> back to
>>> the network.
>>>
>>> Some articles suggest this and i just want to confirm this.

Jorge de Almeida Pinto [MVP]

      26th Apr 2006
to disable AD replication (not SYSVOL) -->
REPADMIN /OPTIONS <FQDN DC> +DISABLE_OUBOUND_REPL +DISABLE_INBOUND_REPL

In combination with the above to disable SYSVOL replication-->
SC.EXE \\<FQDN DC> STOP NTFRS
SC.EXE \\<FQDN DC> CONFIG NTFRS START= DISABLED (don't forget
the SPACE between = and disabled!)

If you execute this command both INBOUND and OUTBOUND replication is
disabled so that NOTHING comes in or goes out!

If you update the schema and the domain AS LONG AS REPLICATION IS DISABLED,
you only need to restore that particular DC (non-authoritative) using a
backup that does not have the updates to the schema and the domain/sysvol

If you update the schema while replication is enabled the only way to
restore to the state without the schema is to restore ALL DCs in the forest

Reading the BLOG article may give you more information