Adprep error.

lazyadmin

      9th Dec 2004
I am running adprep /forestprep against my native Windows 2000 domain. I
was logged on as Enterprise, Domain, Schema admin and I was performing the
upgrade on the Schema Master FSMO role holder.

At the end I got the following message:

http://dortoh.ca/crap/error.txt

Ldap Error 0x33 is LDAP_BUSY??? So I did some digging in the other logs and
it looks like everything completed successfully.

schupgr.log http://dortoh.ca/crap/schupgr.txt

ldif.log, and ldif.log.0 through ldif.log.16 all end with:

## entries modified successfully.

The command has completed successfully

The entire ADPrep.log is here:

http://dortoh.ca/crap/adprep.txt

Any ideas? It looks like everything completed successfully, besides the
error at the end. I looked it up and LDAP Error 0x33 means LDAP_Busy. I
guess it is possible LDAP was busy at the time but how would I know if
everything did indeed complete successfully?

Is there a command I can run to verify my schema is ready for /domainprep?

Rod
http://dortoh.ca

Mark Renoden [MSFT]

      9th Dec 2004
Hi

It seems to be saying it couldn't contact the Schema Master during the
forestprep. What's the setup for your domain? Where is the Schema Master
in relation to the DC you ran this on?

Kind regards
--
Mark Renoden [MSFT]
Windows Platform Support Team

"lazyadmin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am running adprep /forestprep against my native Windows 2000 domain. I
>was logged on as Enterprise, Domain, Schema admin and I was performing the
>upgrade on the Schema Master FSMO role holder.
>
> At the end I got the following message:
>
> http://dortoh.ca/crap/error.txt
>
> Ldap Error 0x33 is LDAP_BUSY??? So I did some digging in the other logs
> and it looks like everything completed successfully.
>
> schupgr.log http://dortoh.ca/crap/schupgr.txt
>
> ldif.log, and ldif.log.0 through ldif.log.16 all end with:
>
> ## entries modified successfully.
>
> The command has completed successfully
>
> The entire ADPrep.log is here:
>
> http://dortoh.ca/crap/adprep.txt
>
> Any ideas? It looks like everything completed successfully, besides the
> error at the end. I looked it up and LDAP Error 0x33 means LDAP_Busy. I
> guess it is possible LDAP was busy at the time but how would I know if
> everything did indeed complete successfully?
>
> Is there a command I can run to verify my schema is ready for /domainprep?
>
> Rod
> http://dortoh.ca

lazyadmin

      9th Dec 2004
It was run on the Schema Master. I have two DC's and this one holds all the
FSMO roles. I ran the adprep on this DC.

Something I just noticed when I went to ensure I was on the Schema Master.
I loaded up the AD Schema MMC and tried to view the Operations Master and it
said it was offline? I reloaded the schema and I can look at the Schema
again and the Operations Master is showing online again. I also verified
that I did run adprep on the correct DC. Now I am not 100% the Schema was
online before, but I can't imagine how it went offline.

I did check with DCDIAG and REPADMIN the day before and everything passed.

Would it hurt to run adprep /forestprep again now that I am sure that the
Schema Master is online? Or is there a way to verify that the changes were
applied to the schema? I wouldn't want to run it again and end up with a
few hundred DUP records :P

Thanks!

Rod
http://dortoh.ca

"Mark Renoden [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> It seems to be saying it couldn't contact the Schema Master during the
> forestprep. What's the setup for your domain? Where is the Schema Master
> in relation to the DC you ran this on?
>
> Kind regards
> --
> Mark Renoden [MSFT]
> Windows Platform Support Team
> Email: (E-Mail Removed)
>
> Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to email
> me; I'll post a response back to the group.

> rights.
>
> "lazyadmin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I am running adprep /forestprep against my native Windows 2000 domain. I
>>was logged on as Enterprise, Domain, Schema admin and I was performing the
>>upgrade on the Schema Master FSMO role holder.
>>
>> At the end I got the following message:
>>
>> http://dortoh.ca/crap/error.txt
>>
>> Ldap Error 0x33 is LDAP_BUSY??? So I did some digging in the other logs
>> and it looks like everything completed successfully.
>>
>> schupgr.log http://dortoh.ca/crap/schupgr.txt
>>
>> ldif.log, and ldif.log.0 through ldif.log.16 all end with:
>>
>> ## entries modified successfully.
>>
>> The command has completed successfully
>>
>> The entire ADPrep.log is here:
>>
>> http://dortoh.ca/crap/adprep.txt
>>
>> Any ideas? It looks like everything completed successfully, besides the
>> error at the end. I looked it up and LDAP Error 0x33 means LDAP_Busy. I
>> guess it is possible LDAP was busy at the time but how would I know if
>> everything did indeed complete successfully?
>>
>> Is there a command I can run to verify my schema is ready for
>> /domainprep?
>>
>> Rod
>> http://dortoh.ca

Mark Renoden [MSFT]

      10th Dec 2004
Hi Rod

I haven't been able to find much on this. Similar issues usually end up
resolved by re-running the forestprep operation. My understanding is that
checks are made before carrying out an operation so that you don't end up
with dups. Bottom line is take a backup before you try again

There's one or two loose references to using the workaround section in:

329194 IPSec Policy Permissions in Windows 2000 and Windows Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=329194

I'm not sure how this is relevant given the object you're having problems
with however.

Sorry I'm not more help. Just doesn't seem like a common problem.

Kind regards
--
> [...]

>>>the upgrade on the Schema Master FSMO role holder.
>>>
>>> At the end I got the following message:
>>>
>>> http://dortoh.ca/crap/error.txt
>>>
>>> Ldap Error 0x33 is LDAP_BUSY??? So I did some digging in the other logs
>>> and it looks like everything completed successfully.
>>>
>>> schupgr.log http://dortoh.ca/crap/schupgr.txt
>>>
>>> ldif.log, and ldif.log.0 through ldif.log.16 all end with:
>>>
>>> ## entries modified successfully.
>>>
>>> The command has completed successfully
>>>
>>> The entire ADPrep.log is here:
>>>
>>> http://dortoh.ca/crap/adprep.txt
>>>
>>> Any ideas? It looks like everything completed successfully, besides the
>>> error at the end. I looked it up and LDAP Error 0x33 means LDAP_Busy.
>>> I guess it is possible LDAP was busy at the time but how would I know if
>>> everything did indeed complete successfully?
>>>
>>> Is there a command I can run to verify my schema is ready for

lazyadmin

      10th Dec 2004
Well I ran it a 2nd time, not much happened, looked like it was just
verifying everything.

But!

Adprep successfully updated the forest-wide information.

So I guess that is a good thing. Wish list? Adprep /verify

Thanks!

Rod

Mark Renoden [MSFT]

      10th Dec 2004