administration rights

=?Utf-8?B?d2lsbHlsdW1wbHVtcA==?=

      26th Jan 2007
I am having problems with some of my games running on Windows XP, one in
particular is Ship Simulator, the guy at Dreamcatcher says it is because I
cannot change any settings in the Administration services.

What is happening is the game crashes to my desktop after running it for a
while, I was talking to him this morning and he walked me through some steps
to do but when I tried to do them I got the message about not being able to
make changes because I did not have this priviledge. he said this is a
Microsoft problem, also when this happens I get erro message that it needs to
close and to contact Microsoft but nothing ever happens when I do this.

Can anybody please help me with this problem.

William(Bill) Webb

Bruce Chambers

      27th Jan 2007
willylumplump wrote:
> I am having problems with some of my games running on Windows XP, one in
> particular is Ship Simulator, the guy at Dreamcatcher says it is because I
> cannot change any settings in the Administration services.
>
> What is happening is the game crashes to my desktop after running it for a
> while, I was talking to him this morning and he walked me through some steps
> to do but when I tried to do them I got the message about not being able to
> make changes because I did not have this priviledge. he said this is a
> Microsoft problem, also when this happens I get erro message that it needs to
> close and to contact Microsoft but nothing ever happens when I do this.
>
> Can anybody please help me with this problem.
>
> William(Bill) Webb

You may experience some problems if the software was designed for
Win9x/Me, or if it was intended for WinNT/2K/XP, but was improperly
designed. Quite simply, the application doesn't "know" how to handle
individual user profiles with differing security permissions levels, or
the application is designed to make to make changes to "off-limits"
sections of the Windows registry or protected Windows system folders.

For example, saved data are often stored in a sub-folder under the
application's folder within C:\Program Files - a place where no
inexperienced or limited user should ever have write permissions. (Games
are particularly likely to follow this horrible practice.)

It may even be that the software requires "write" access to parts
of the registry or protected systems folders/files that are not normally
accessible to regular users. (This *won't* occur if the application is
properly written.) If this does prove to be the case, however, you're
often left with three options: Either grant the necessary users
appropriate higher access privileges (either as Power Users or local
administrators), explicitly grant normal users elevated privileges to
the affected folders and/or part(s) or the registry, or replace the
application with one that was properly designed specifically for
WinNT/2K/XP.

Some Programs Do Not Work If You Log On from Limited Account

Additionally, here are a couple of tips suggested, in a reply to a
different post, by MS-MVP Kent W. England:

"If your game or application works with admin accounts, but not with
limited accounts, you can fix it to allow limited users to access the
program files folder with "change" capability rather than "read" which
is the default.

C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:c

where "appfolder" is the folder where the application is installed.

If you wish to undo these changes, then run

C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:r

If you still have a problem with running the program or saving settings
on limited accounts, you may need to change permissions on the registry
keys. Run regedit.exe and go to HKLM\Software\vendor\app, where
"vendor\app" is the key that the software vendor used for your specific
program. Change the permissions on this key to allow Users full control."

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm