Admin Rights for Access Security Setup

=?Utf-8?B?aWhvbGRlcg==?=

      5th Aug 2005
Must you have Admin Rights to use Access Security Setup.

=?Utf-8?B?JzY5IENhbWFybw==?=

      5th Aug 2005
Hi.

> Must you have Admin Rights to use Access Security Setup.

No. One must have Full Control Windows security permissions on the
directories where the Workgroup Information File and the database files will
be located. (For Access 97 one must also have read/write/delete Windows
security permissions on the C:\Windows\System32 directory as well, because
the default Workgroup Information File is located here and it must be opened
and copied in order to create a new Workgroup.) And one needs Read Windows
security permissions for the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared
sub-directories in order to use the necessary libraries.

One must also be a member of the Admins group in order to secure/unsecure
the database using User-Level security, but it's best to be the owner of the
database to avoid any glitches.

One must also have sufficient Windows security permissions to be able to
write to the Windows Registry Key for the location of the current Workgroup
Information File that one is joined to, but this almost never presents a
problem because Windows System Administrators rarely lock down this section
of Windows Registry Keys (it's for MRU file lists, so doing so would
interfere with or cripple most Windows applications).

HTH.

Gunny

See http://www.QBuilt.com for all your database needs.
See http://www.Access.QBuilt.com for Microsoft Access tips.

(Please remove ZERO_SPAM from my reply E-mail address, so that a message
will be forwarded to me.)
Beware to those who use munged addresses: known newsgroup E-mail harvesters
for spammers are (E-Mail Removed) and (E-Mail Removed)

- - -
When you see correct answers to your question posted in Microsoft's Online
Community, please sign in to the Community and mark these posts as "Answers,"
so that all may benefit by filtering on "Answered questions" and quickly
finding the right answers to similar questions. Remember that questions
answered the quickest are often from those who have a history of rewarding
the contributors who have taken the time to answer questions correctly.

"iholder" wrote:

> Must you have Admin Rights to use Access Security Setup.

=?Utf-8?B?aWhvbGRlcg==?=

      8th Aug 2005
Thank for clarifying the security issue.

Well, I do not have Admin Rights. I suggestions on setup local userid and
password with out using Access Security.

"'69 Camaro" wrote:

> Hi.
>
> > Must you have Admin Rights to use Access Security Setup.

> No. One must have Full Control Windows security permissions on the
> directories where the Workgroup Information File and the database files will
> be located. (For Access 97 one must also have read/write/delete Windows
> security permissions on the C:\Windows\System32 directory as well, because
> the default Workgroup Information File is located here and it must be opened
> and copied in order to create a new Workgroup.) And one needs Read Windows
> security permissions for the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared
> sub-directories in order to use the necessary libraries.
>
> One must also be a member of the Admins group in order to secure/unsecure
> the database using User-Level security, but it's best to be the owner of the
> database to avoid any glitches.
>
> One must also have sufficient Windows security permissions to be able to
> write to the Windows Registry Key for the location of the current Workgroup
> Information File that one is joined to, but this almost never presents a
> problem because Windows System Administrators rarely lock down this section
> of Windows Registry Keys (it's for MRU file lists, so doing so would
> interfere with or cripple most Windows applications).
>
> HTH.
>
> Gunny
>
> See http://www.QBuilt.com for all your database needs.
> See http://www.Access.QBuilt.com for Microsoft Access tips.
>
> (Please remove ZERO_SPAM from my reply E-mail address, so that a message
> will be forwarded to me.)
> Beware to those who use munged addresses: known newsgroup E-mail harvesters
> for spammers are (E-Mail Removed) and (E-Mail Removed)
>
> - - -
> When you see correct answers to your question posted in Microsoft's Online
> Community, please sign in to the Community and mark these posts as "Answers,"
> so that all may benefit by filtering on "Answered questions" and quickly
> finding the right answers to similar questions. Remember that questions
> answered the quickest are often from those who have a history of rewarding
> the contributors who have taken the time to answer questions correctly.
>

> "iholder" wrote:
>
> > Must you have Admin Rights to use Access Security Setup.

=?Utf-8?B?JzY5IENhbWFybw==?=

      8th Aug 2005
Hi.

> Well, I do not have Admin Rights. I suggestions on setup local userid and
> password with out using Access Security.

You've hit a brick wall, then. One cannot create an Access User ID and
password without using Access's User Level Security, and one cannot create a
local User ID and password for the Windows operating system without Windows
admin rights. You'll need to contact your Windows system administrator to
create a local User ID and password for you on the computer.