How to adjust time to drop idle news connections? And more on news rules

      5th Apr 2009
Is there any way to tell Windows Mail to adjust the
time it waits before dropping idle newsgroups
connections to at least a minute, instead of the
default of about 3 seconds? Two of the newsgroups
servers I use, both from Tera News, are rather slow
to recognize connections dropped by the newsreader,
and therefor stop counting them against the total
number of connections a user can use at once. They
are also rather slow at allowing newsreaders to
start new connections. Therefore, I'd prefer to
keep such idle connections available longer, and
use them for the next post of newsgroup, instead
of being so slow to be ready to download the
newsgroup. Switching to Windows Live Mail
would help a little, but not enough - its default
for dropping idle connections is about 15 seconds.
Also, since I have some trouble remembering
what infrequently used icons mean, I want a
newsreader that allows labels on its buttons, not
just icons for all of them.

Also, is there a way to tell it to download entire
new messages if they become available when
Windows Mail does its checks for such messages,
instead of just the headers? That would make it
more likely the messages have already been
downloaded when the user is ready for them.

Is there a way to set up Windows Mail rules
to tell it to download certain messages automatically
if just the header arrives, but not to download it
again if the whole message has already arrived?

Is there any way to search the list of news rules
for any rules that mention a specific server , or a
specific return address? Since I have over 1300
such rules, I don't feels like taking a few days to
search for such rules, as I had to the last few times
I needed such searches.

Is there any way to tell Windows Mail to download
a specific message if it is still on the newsgroups
server, but already removed from the Windows
mail list of messages for that newsgroup, assuming
that the XOVER summary of the header was
successfully copied to another folder, but any efforts
to copy the rest of the message there failed? Both
the newsgroup name and the Message-ID: header
is available, but I've found no way to tell Windows
Mail to use those to download the message again.
Deleting that newsgroup doesn't erase enough
information about that newsgroup to allow Windows
Mail to download the message again.

When you copy a group of news messages to
another folder in Windows Mail, then delete them
from the newsgroup they arrived in, does Windows
Mail adjust the database so that deleting more
messages from the same newsgroup in the same
session actually delete the intended messages,
rather than the wrong ones? I've seen some signs
that it may sometimes delete the wrong ones
instead, and fail to copy all messages for which
copying was requested.

Robert Miles

Steve Cochran

      5th Apr 2009
I doubt that there are any positive answers to your questions. Microsoft
has largely abandoned development of NNTP readers, regardless of product
name.

steve

news:(E-Mail Removed)...