Address Book Empty

Nick Cumberbatch

      22nd Nov 2008
OK I have tried all the suggestions so far. I even did a clean install of
XP then reistalled Outlook 2007.

I have the same situation....the Contacts Folder /Properties /Outlook
address book ...is ticked and grayed out.

I cannot get my contacts to appear in Outlook Address Book

Am I the only one with this situation????? Or is it normal or default

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sorry. It's been posted here so many times I figured you'd seen it
> already.
> 1. Open the file in your new profile (Outlook will have already created a
> new, empty PST file which you will not be using).
> 2. Set the file as your default.
> 3. Restart Outlook.
> More detail:
> http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm
> http://www.howto-outlook.com/Howto/backupandrestore.htm
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...771141033.aspx
>
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Nick Cumberbatch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Please describe proper procedure to migrate data successfully
>>

>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Here is some further information to stop you from creating more damage:
>>> 1. You never transfer Outlook data by exporting and importing,
>>> especially to a non-Outlook file type. Doing so will only lose data and
>>> often corrupts your profile.
>>> 2. You never rename an Outlook data file in Windows Explorer until you
>>> have disconnected it from your profile. Closing Outlook does not
>>> disconnect a data file from a profile. Renaming a connected file will
>>> corrupt your profile.
>>>
>>> Using the proper steps to create a new profile and migrating your data
>>> correctly will fix your problems. You have not done so yet.
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default...roduct=out2003
>>> --
>>> Russ Valentine
>>> [MVP-Outlook]
>>> "Nick Cumberbatch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

      22nd Nov 2008
Ticked and grayed out is the normal appearance once a folder has been
enabled.
Solutions work for everyone else. You're missing something, but we can't
tell what. The last time you posted your steps we found many things you were
doing wrong. You'll have to provide that information for us to help from a
distance.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Nick Cumberbatch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> OK I have tried all the suggestions so far. I even did a clean install of
> XP then reistalled Outlook 2007.
>
> I have the same situation....the Contacts Folder /Properties /Outlook
> address book ...is ticked and grayed out.
>
> I cannot get my contacts to appear in Outlook Address Book
>
> Am I the only one with this situation????? Or is it normal or default
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Sorry. It's been posted here so many times I figured you'd seen it
>> already.
>> 1. Open the file in your new profile (Outlook will have already created a
>> new, empty PST file which you will not be using).
>> 2. Set the file as your default.
>> 3. Restart Outlook.
>> More detail:
>> http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm
>> http://www.howto-outlook.com/Howto/backupandrestore.htm
>> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...771141033.aspx
>>
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Nick Cumberbatch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Please describe proper procedure to migrate data successfully
>>>

>>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Nick Cumberbatch

      22nd Nov 2008
OK. I decided to give this another try. I will outline my steps. Please
indicate where I went wrong.

1) Exported contacts to Excel file

2) With Outlook NOT running. I created a new profile in CP/Mail...called it
New Profile

3) Opened Outlook with New Profile

4) Then File /Data File Management. Observed the new pst Outlook2 (as only
entry) under "Data Files" tab

5) Click Add and located the original Outlook.pst and set it as default

6) re-started Outlook in New Profile

7) Contact Folder /Properties...In Outlook Address Book tab...ticked "show
this folder as email address book"

8) Tools/ Address Book.

9) Arrow to Outlook Address Book...It is still empty. The email address
show up in "Contacts"

Please indicate where I went wrong

and added the original
4) I pI reated a new profle CP/Mail/new profile

3) Started Outlook with new profile

Then
"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ticked and grayed out is the normal appearance once a folder has been
> enabled.
> Solutions work for everyone else. You're missing something, but we can't
> tell what. The last time you posted your steps we found many things you
> were doing wrong. You'll have to provide that information for us to help
> from a distance.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Nick Cumberbatch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> OK I have tried all the suggestions so far. I even did a clean install
>> of XP then reistalled Outlook 2007.
>>
>> I have the same situation....the Contacts Folder /Properties /Outlook
>> address book ...is ticked and grayed out.
>>
>> I cannot get my contacts to appear in Outlook Address Book
>>
>> Am I the only one with this situation????? Or is it normal or default
>>

>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Sorry. It's been posted here so many times I figured you'd seen it
>>> already.
>>> 1. Open the file in your new profile (Outlook will have already created
>>> a new, empty PST file which you will not be using).
>>> 2. Set the file as your default.
>>> 3. Restart Outlook.
>>> More detail:
>>> http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm
>>> http://www.howto-outlook.com/Howto/backupandrestore.htm
>>> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...771141033.aspx
>>>
>>> --
>>> Russ Valentine
>>> [MVP-Outlook]
>>> "Nick Cumberbatch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

      22nd Nov 2008
Why did you export again when we told you not to?
What makes you think anything is wrong?
Your address book is working fine. Contacts always show up in the Contacts
Folder. That's where they are! The Outlook Address Book just holds the
folders you have chosen to display. You select the folder to view the
Contacts.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Nick Cumberbatch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> OK. I decided to give this another try. I will outline my steps. Please
> indicate where I went wrong.
>
> 1) Exported contacts to Excel file
>
> 2) With Outlook NOT running. I created a new profile in CP/Mail...called
> it New Profile
>
> 3) Opened Outlook with New Profile
>
> 4) Then File /Data File Management. Observed the new pst Outlook2 (as
> only
> entry) under "Data Files" tab
>
> 5) Click Add and located the original Outlook.pst and set it as default
>
> 6) re-started Outlook in New Profile
>
> 7) Contact Folder /Properties...In Outlook Address Book tab...ticked "show
> this folder as email address book"
>
> 8) Tools/ Address Book.
>
> 9) Arrow to Outlook Address Book...It is still empty. The email address
> show up in "Contacts"
>
> Please indicate where I went wrong
>
> and added the original
> 4) I pI reated a new profle CP/Mail/new profile
>
> 3) Started Outlook with new profile
>

> Then
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Ticked and grayed out is the normal appearance once a folder has been
>> enabled.
>> Solutions work for everyone else. You're missing something, but we can't
>> tell what. The last time you posted your steps we found many things you
>> were doing wrong. You'll have to provide that information for us to help
>> from a distance.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Nick Cumberbatch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> OK I have tried all the suggestions so far. I even did a clean install
>>> of XP then reistalled Outlook 2007.
>>>
>>> I have the same situation....the Contacts Folder /Properties /Outlook
>>> address book ...is ticked and grayed out.
>>>
>>> I cannot get my contacts to appear in Outlook Address Book
>>>
>>> Am I the only one with this situation????? Or is it normal or default
>>>

>>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Nick Cumberbatch

      23rd Nov 2008
OK So When I go to Tools/ Address Book and drop down Outlook Address Book
and it says "No entries in this Address Book" this is NORMAL. Yes address
show up in the Contacts folder.

Maybe a lot of us do not fully understand the concept of the Address Book in
Outlook 2007. To futher make the point I use Yahoo Messenger, When I go to
import contacts to Yahoo Messenger and choose Outlook Address Book it returs
a message that there are no entries to import. So is this "Outlook Address
Book" supposed to contain address or is it simply a folder with different
contacts sub-folders.

Your explanation may clarify the matter and put it to rest for me

Thanks
"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Why did you export again when we told you not to?
> What makes you think anything is wrong?
> Your address book is working fine. Contacts always show up in the Contacts
> Folder. That's where they are! The Outlook Address Book just holds the
> folders you have chosen to display. You select the folder to view the
> Contacts.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Nick Cumberbatch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> OK. I decided to give this another try. I will outline my steps.
>> Please indicate where I went wrong.
>>
>> 1) Exported contacts to Excel file
>>
>> 2) With Outlook NOT running. I created a new profile in CP/Mail...called
>> it New Profile
>>
>> 3) Opened Outlook with New Profile
>>
>> 4) Then File /Data File Management. Observed the new pst Outlook2 (as
>> only
>> entry) under "Data Files" tab
>>
>> 5) Click Add and located the original Outlook.pst and set it as default
>>
>> 6) re-started Outlook in New Profile
>>
>> 7) Contact Folder /Properties...In Outlook Address Book tab...ticked
>> "show this folder as email address book"
>>
>> 8) Tools/ Address Book.
>>
>> 9) Arrow to Outlook Address Book...It is still empty. The email address
>> show up in "Contacts"
>>
>> Please indicate where I went wrong
>>
>> and added the original
>> 4) I pI reated a new profle CP/Mail/new profile
>>
>> 3) Started Outlook with new profile
>>

>> Then
>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Ticked and grayed out is the normal appearance once a folder has been
>>> enabled.
>>> Solutions work for everyone else. You're missing something, but we can't
>>> tell what. The last time you posted your steps we found many things you
>>> were doing wrong. You'll have to provide that information for us to help
>>> from a distance.
>>> --
>>> Russ Valentine
>>> [MVP-Outlook]
>>> "Nick Cumberbatch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

      23rd Nov 2008
There is no address book in Outlook and there hasn't been for 10 years. It
is merely a view of your Contacts Folder, where all data resides. Nothing
has changed in Outlook 2007 and how the Outlook address book works has been
documented for years:
http://home.indy.rr.com/russval/addressbook.htm

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Nick Cumberbatch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23Vqcr$(E-Mail Removed)...
> OK So When I go to Tools/ Address Book and drop down Outlook Address Book
> and it says "No entries in this Address Book" this is NORMAL. Yes address
> show up in the Contacts folder.
>
> Maybe a lot of us do not fully understand the concept of the Address Book
> in Outlook 2007. To futher make the point I use Yahoo Messenger, When I
> go to import contacts to Yahoo Messenger and choose Outlook Address Book
> it returs a message that there are no entries to import. So is this
> "Outlook Address Book" supposed to contain address or is it simply a
> folder with different contacts sub-folders.
>
> Your explanation may clarify the matter and put it to rest for me
>
> Thanks
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Why did you export again when we told you not to?
>> What makes you think anything is wrong?
>> Your address book is working fine. Contacts always show up in the
>> Contacts Folder. That's where they are! The Outlook Address Book just
>> holds the folders you have chosen to display. You select the folder to
>> view the Contacts.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Nick Cumberbatch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> OK. I decided to give this another try. I will outline my steps.
>>> Please indicate where I went wrong.
>>>
>>> 1) Exported contacts to Excel file
>>>
>>> 2) With Outlook NOT running. I created a new profile in
>>> CP/Mail...called it New Profile
>>>
>>> 3) Opened Outlook with New Profile
>>>
>>> 4) Then File /Data File Management. Observed the new pst Outlook2 (as
>>> only
>>> entry) under "Data Files" tab
>>>
>>> 5) Click Add and located the original Outlook.pst and set it as default
>>>
>>> 6) re-started Outlook in New Profile
>>>
>>> 7) Contact Folder /Properties...In Outlook Address Book tab...ticked
>>> "show this folder as email address book"
>>>
>>> 8) Tools/ Address Book.
>>>
>>> 9) Arrow to Outlook Address Book...It is still empty. The email address
>>> show up in "Contacts"
>>>
>>> Please indicate where I went wrong
>>>
>>> and added the original
>>> 4) I pI reated a new profle CP/Mail/new profile
>>>
>>> 3) Started Outlook with new profile
>>>

>>> Then
>>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

William

      23rd Nov 2008
On 23 Nov, 02:04, "Nick Cumberbatch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> OK So When I go to Tools/ Address Book and drop down Outlook Address Book
> and it says "No entries in this Address Book" this is NORMAL.

Underneath "Outlook Address Book", there should be a line saying
"Contacts" - Click on that line.

--
WH

Nick Cumberbatch

      23rd Nov 2008
Thank you for the link. It is the first explanation that makes senses and
put everything in perspective.

May I humbly suggest that you should refer this link as the first response
to all those like myself who have been mystified by this "outlook address
book" that is listed, but does not really exist and gives the impression
that it should contain address by saying "no enteries in address book".

Many thanks
"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> There is no address book in Outlook and there hasn't been for 10 years. It
> is merely a view of your Contacts Folder, where all data resides. Nothing
> has changed in Outlook 2007 and how the Outlook address book works has
> been documented for years:
> http://home.indy.rr.com/russval/addressbook.htm
>
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Nick Cumberbatch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%23Vqcr$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> OK So When I go to Tools/ Address Book and drop down Outlook Address Book
>> and it says "No entries in this Address Book" this is NORMAL. Yes
>> address show up in the Contacts folder.
>>
>> Maybe a lot of us do not fully understand the concept of the Address Book
>> in Outlook 2007. To futher make the point I use Yahoo Messenger, When I
>> go to import contacts to Yahoo Messenger and choose Outlook Address Book
>> it returs a message that there are no entries to import. So is this
>> "Outlook Address Book" supposed to contain address or is it simply a
>> folder with different contacts sub-folders.
>>
>> Your explanation may clarify the matter and put it to rest for me
>>
>> Thanks
>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Why did you export again when we told you not to?
>>> What makes you think anything is wrong?
>>> Your address book is working fine. Contacts always show up in the
>>> Contacts Folder. That's where they are! The Outlook Address Book just
>>> holds the folders you have chosen to display. You select the folder to
>>> view the Contacts.
>>> --
>>> Russ Valentine
>>> [MVP-Outlook]
>>> "Nick Cumberbatch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

      23rd Nov 2008
I used to but by now most people are well aware of this and don't want to
slog through all that information. They just want the quick and dirty on how
to restore the connection between the address book view and their Contacts.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Nick Cumberbatch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thank you for the link. It is the first explanation that makes senses and
> put everything in perspective.
>
> May I humbly suggest that you should refer this link as the first response
> to all those like myself who have been mystified by this "outlook address
> book" that is listed, but does not really exist and gives the impression
> that it should contain address by saying "no enteries in address book".
>
> Many thanks
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> There is no address book in Outlook and there hasn't been for 10 years.
>> It is merely a view of your Contacts Folder, where all data resides.
>> Nothing has changed in Outlook 2007 and how the Outlook address book
>> works has been documented for years:
>> http://home.indy.rr.com/russval/addressbook.htm
>>
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Nick Cumberbatch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%23Vqcr$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> OK So When I go to Tools/ Address Book and drop down Outlook Address
>>> Book and it says "No entries in this Address Book" this is NORMAL. Yes
>>> address show up in the Contacts folder.
>>>
>>> Maybe a lot of us do not fully understand the concept of the Address
>>> Book in Outlook 2007. To futher make the point I use Yahoo Messenger,
>>> When I go to import contacts to Yahoo Messenger and choose Outlook
>>> Address Book it returs a message that there are no entries to import.
>>> So is this "Outlook Address Book" supposed to contain address or is it
>>> simply a folder with different contacts sub-folders.
>>>
>>> Your explanation may clarify the matter and put it to rest for me
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Eric Myers

      21st Apr 2011
You know there is a cliche that says that tech type people got their knowledge through lots of time on the computer. Therefore they often fail to develop proper social skills. Boy, Russ you sure do prove that one true. In all my years of reading these forums I do not think I have ever come across someone so smug, pretentious, and yet so utterly incorrect. At least most of the geeky types who have no tact at least had a correct answer!