Address Book Empty

Nick Cumberbatch

      17th Nov 2008
I have read a number of posts on this mater and cannot find a solution that
works for me.

I am using XP Pro, Outlook 2007

I have 2 contact folders one with email addresses and one without. I went to
the Email Contact folder and right click/Properties /Outlook Address Book
tab. The "Show this folder as e-mail address book" is ticked but grayed
out.

I tried creating another profile, new data file...no difference

I uninstalled Outlook then re-installed...no difference

I have tried the solution listed here
http://support.microsoft.com/default...Product=ol2002
but nothing changed

I will be really pleased if someone can help me

Nick C

Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

      17th Nov 2008
Which folder has the option to show it as an Address Book grayed out? The
one with name without e-mail addresses?

The address book view will only display Contacts folder names with a valid
electronic address so if that is the one grayed out, the issue is moot.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

ALWAYS post your Outlook version.

After furious head scratching, Nick Cumberbatch asked:

| I have read a number of posts on this mater and cannot find a
| solution that works for me.
|
| I am using XP Pro, Outlook 2007
|
| I have 2 contact folders one with email addresses and one without. I
| went to the Email Contact folder and right click/Properties /Outlook
| Address Book tab. The "Show this folder as e-mail address book" is
| ticked but grayed out.
|
| I tried creating another profile, new data file...no difference
|
| I uninstalled Outlook then re-installed...no difference
|
| I have tried the solution listed here

http://support.microsoft.com/default...Product=ol2002
| but nothing changed
|
| I will be really pleased if someone can help me
|
| Nick C

Nick Cumberbatch

      17th Nov 2008
The one with Email addresses

"Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]" <what@ever> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Which folder has the option to show it as an Address Book grayed out? The
> one with name without e-mail addresses?
>
> The address book view will only display Contacts folder names with a valid
> electronic address so if that is the one grayed out, the issue is moot.
>
> --
> Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
>
> Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact.
> ALWAYS post your Outlook version.
> How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
>

> After furious head scratching, Nick Cumberbatch asked:
>
> | I have read a number of posts on this mater and cannot find a
> | solution that works for me.
> |
> | I am using XP Pro, Outlook 2007
> |
> | I have 2 contact folders one with email addresses and one without. I
> | went to the Email Contact folder and right click/Properties /Outlook
> | Address Book tab. The "Show this folder as e-mail address book" is
> | ticked but grayed out.
> |
> | I tried creating another profile, new data file...no difference
> |
> | I uninstalled Outlook then re-installed...no difference
> |
> | I have tried the solution listed here
> |
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...Product=ol2002
> | but nothing changed
> |
> | I will be really pleased if someone can help me
> |
> | Nick C

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

      17th Nov 2008
Creating a new profile fixes this problem. There is no reason you would be
the sole exception to that. However, creating a new profile will work only
if you migrate your data to it correctly. State the precise steps you used
so we can figure out what you did wrong.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Nick Cumberbatch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The one with Email addresses
>
> "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]" <what@ever> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Which folder has the option to show it as an Address Book grayed out?
>> The
>> one with name without e-mail addresses?
>>
>> The address book view will only display Contacts folder names with a
>> valid
>> electronic address so if that is the one grayed out, the issue is moot.
>>
>> --
>> Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
>>
>> Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact.
>> ALWAYS post your Outlook version.
>> How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
>>

>> After furious head scratching, Nick Cumberbatch asked:
>>
>> | I have read a number of posts on this mater and cannot find a
>> | solution that works for me.
>> |
>> | I am using XP Pro, Outlook 2007
>> |
>> | I have 2 contact folders one with email addresses and one without. I
>> | went to the Email Contact folder and right click/Properties /Outlook
>> | Address Book tab. The "Show this folder as e-mail address book" is
>> | ticked but grayed out.
>> |
>> | I tried creating another profile, new data file...no difference
>> |
>> | I uninstalled Outlook then re-installed...no difference
>> |
>> | I have tried the solution listed here
>> |
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default...Product=ol2002
>> | but nothing changed
>> |
>> | I will be really pleased if someone can help me
>> |
>> | Nick C

Nick Cumberbatch

      17th Nov 2008
I use these steps
1) I export my contacts to a .vcf file
2) I delete contacts from all folders
3) Then create new profile: Control panel /Mail /Show Profile /Add new
profile
4) Through Windows Explorer Confirmed new outlook 1.pst file
5) Rename previous outlook.pst to outlook.old
5) Restart Outlook
6) Tools/Account Settings. Confirm only one pst (new one) in Data Files
Tab; In Address Book Tab observed "Outlook Address Book" , type MAPI
7) BEFORE importing data, right click Contacts /Properties..."show this
folder as email address book" is ticked a grayed out
8) BEFORE importing data go to Tools/Address Book...confirm two entries
Outlook Address Book and Contacts (listed as a subset)
9) BEFORE importing data try to create new contact and in "Put this entry" I
selected Outlook Address Book...received message "you cannot create entries
for this address Book
10) Imported contacts vcf file into Contacts Folder. Confirmed the contacts
imported successfully with email addresses
11) Properties on Contacts folder still ..."show this folder as email
address book" is ticked a grayed out
12) Tools /Address Book/ Outlook Address Book message box..."no entries in
this address book"

Hope this explains it all

"Nick Cumberbatch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have read a number of posts on this mater and cannot find a solution that
> works for me.
>
> I am using XP Pro, Outlook 2007
>
> I have 2 contact folders one with email addresses and one without. I went
> the Email Contact folder and right click/Properties /Outlook Address Book
> tab. The "Show this folder as e-mail address book" is ticked but grayed
> out.
>
> I tried creating another profile, new data file...no difference
>
> I uninstalled Outlook then re-installed...no difference
>
> I have tried the solution listed here
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...Product=ol2002
> but nothing changed
>
> I will be really pleased if someone can help me
>
> Nick C

Gordon

      17th Nov 2008
"Nick Cumberbatch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I use these steps
> 1) I export my contacts to a .vcf file
> 2) I delete contacts from all folders
> 3) Then create new profile: Control panel /Mail /Show Profile /Add new
> profile
> 4) Through Windows Explorer Confirmed new outlook 1.pst file
> 5) Rename previous outlook.pst to outlook.old
> 5) Restart Outlook
> 6) Tools/Account Settings. Confirm only one pst (new one) in Data Files
> Tab; In Address Book Tab observed "Outlook Address Book" , type MAPI
> 7) BEFORE importing data, right click Contacts /Properties..."show this
> folder as email address book" is ticked a grayed out
> 8) BEFORE importing data go to Tools/Address Book...confirm two entries
> Outlook Address Book and Contacts (listed as a subset)
> 9) BEFORE importing data try to create new contact and in "Put this entry"
> selected Outlook Address Book...received message "you cannot create
> entries
> for this address Book
> 10) Imported contacts vcf file into Contacts Folder. Confirmed the
> contacts
> imported successfully with email addresses
> 11) Properties on Contacts folder still ..."show this folder as email
> address book" is ticked a grayed out
> 12) Tools /Address Book/ Outlook Address Book message box..."no entries in
> this address book"
>
> Hope this explains it all

WOW! WHY?
All you needed to do was to create a new Outlook Profile in Control
Panel-Mail, and add the already existing pst file to it.

Nick Cumberbatch

      17th Nov 2008
Nevertheless, I still have the problem. By the way I also did that simple
task you described but there was no change.

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Nick Cumberbatch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I use these steps
>> 1) I export my contacts to a .vcf file
>> 2) I delete contacts from all folders
>> 3) Then create new profile: Control panel /Mail /Show Profile /Add new
>> profile
>> 4) Through Windows Explorer Confirmed new outlook 1.pst file
>> 5) Rename previous outlook.pst to outlook.old
>> 5) Restart Outlook
>> 6) Tools/Account Settings. Confirm only one pst (new one) in Data Files
>> Tab; In Address Book Tab observed "Outlook Address Book" , type MAPI
>> 7) BEFORE importing data, right click Contacts /Properties..."show this
>> folder as email address book" is ticked a grayed out
>> 8) BEFORE importing data go to Tools/Address Book...confirm two entries
>> Outlook Address Book and Contacts (listed as a subset)
>> 9) BEFORE importing data try to create new contact and in "Put this
>> entry" I
>> selected Outlook Address Book...received message "you cannot create
>> entries
>> for this address Book
>> 10) Imported contacts vcf file into Contacts Folder. Confirmed the
>> contacts
>> imported successfully with email addresses
>> 11) Properties on Contacts folder still ..."show this folder as email
>> address book" is ticked a grayed out
>> 12) Tools /Address Book/ Outlook Address Book message box..."no entries
>> in
>> this address book"
>>
>> Hope this explains it all
>>

> WOW! WHY?
> All you needed to do was to create a new Outlook Profile in Control
> Panel-Mail, and add the already existing pst file to it.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

      17th Nov 2008
Here is some further information to stop you from creating more damage:
1. You never transfer Outlook data by exporting and importing, especially to
a non-Outlook file type. Doing so will only lose data and often corrupts
your profile.
2. You never rename an Outlook data file in Windows Explorer until you have
disconnected it from your profile. Closing Outlook does not disconnect a
data file from a profile. Renaming a connected file will corrupt your
profile.

Using the proper steps to create a new profile and migrating your data
correctly will fix your problems. You have not done so yet.
http://support.microsoft.com/default...roduct=out2003
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Nick Cumberbatch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Nevertheless, I still have the problem. By the way I also did that simple
> task you described but there was no change.
>
> "Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Nick Cumberbatch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I use these steps
>>> 1) I export my contacts to a .vcf file
>>> 2) I delete contacts from all folders
>>> 3) Then create new profile: Control panel /Mail /Show Profile /Add new
>>> profile
>>> 4) Through Windows Explorer Confirmed new outlook 1.pst file
>>> 5) Rename previous outlook.pst to outlook.old
>>> 5) Restart Outlook
>>> 6) Tools/Account Settings. Confirm only one pst (new one) in Data Files
>>> Tab; In Address Book Tab observed "Outlook Address Book" , type MAPI
>>> 7) BEFORE importing data, right click Contacts /Properties..."show this
>>> folder as email address book" is ticked a grayed out
>>> 8) BEFORE importing data go to Tools/Address Book...confirm two entries
>>> Outlook Address Book and Contacts (listed as a subset)
>>> 9) BEFORE importing data try to create new contact and in "Put this
>>> entry" I
>>> selected Outlook Address Book...received message "you cannot create
>>> entries
>>> for this address Book
>>> 10) Imported contacts vcf file into Contacts Folder. Confirmed the
>>> contacts
>>> imported successfully with email addresses
>>> 11) Properties on Contacts folder still ..."show this folder as email
>>> address book" is ticked a grayed out
>>> 12) Tools /Address Book/ Outlook Address Book message box..."no entries
>>> in
>>> this address book"
>>>
>>> Hope this explains it all
>>>

>> WOW! WHY?
>> All you needed to do was to create a new Outlook Profile in Control
>> Panel-Mail, and add the already existing pst file to it.

Nick Cumberbatch

      17th Nov 2008
Please describe proper procedure to migrate data successfully

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Here is some further information to stop you from creating more damage:
> 1. You never transfer Outlook data by exporting and importing, especially
> to a non-Outlook file type. Doing so will only lose data and often
> corrupts your profile.
> 2. You never rename an Outlook data file in Windows Explorer until you
> have disconnected it from your profile. Closing Outlook does not
> disconnect a data file from a profile. Renaming a connected file will
> corrupt your profile.
>
> Using the proper steps to create a new profile and migrating your data
> correctly will fix your problems. You have not done so yet.
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...roduct=out2003
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Nick Cumberbatch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Nevertheless, I still have the problem. By the way I also did that
>> simple task you described but there was no change.
>>
>> "Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> "Nick Cumberbatch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> WOW! WHY?
>>> All you needed to do was to create a new Outlook Profile in Control
>>> Panel-Mail, and add the already existing pst file to it.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

      17th Nov 2008
Sorry. It's been posted here so many times I figured you'd seen it already.
1. Open the file in your new profile (Outlook will have already created a
new, empty PST file which you will not be using).
2. Set the file as your default.
3. Restart Outlook.
More detail:
http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm