Adding a Windows 2003 Server (DC) to a Windows 2000 Domain Mixed M

=?Utf-8?B?RGFuIFM=?=

      24th Mar 2005
Is there any documentation regarding adding a Windows 2003 Server as a DC in
a Windows 2000 Domain running in Mixed Mode? Yes there is an old Windows
NT4 Server that is part of the domain.

Herb Martin

      24th Mar 2005
"Dan S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there any documentation regarding adding a Windows 2003 Server as a DC

in
> a Windows 2000 Domain running in Mixed Mode?

Sure, but it is not a big deal -- of course it is then
called a Windows 2003 Domain <grin>.

You upgrade a Win2000 DC or you DCPromo a
Win2003 Server in the domain to achieve this
configuration.

> Yes there is an old Windows
> NT4 Server that is part of the domain.

Not an issue -- that is what Mixed mode is for.

=?Utf-8?B?RGFuIFM=?=

      24th Mar 2005
I was a little vague on what I wanted to know.

Is it necessary to run adprep on the Windows 2000 DC running the Schema
Master and Infrastructure Master when introducing a Windows 2003 DC or is
this only necessary if you plan to upgade the Windows 2003 DC's and Windows
NT4 DC?

The plan for now is to leave the 2000 DC's and NT4 DC as is.

If it is necessary to run adprep, are there any concerns that I need to know
with the NT4 DC?

FYI, the NT4 DC will eventually be "replaced" with a new Windows 2003 Server
.. (no upgrade)

"Dan S" wrote:

> Is there any documentation regarding adding a Windows 2003 Server as a DC in
> a Windows 2000 Domain running in Mixed Mode? Yes there is an old Windows
> NT4 Server that is part of the domain.

Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

      24th Mar 2005
In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Dan S <(E-Mail Removed)> commented
Then Kevin replied below:

>> Is there any documentation regarding adding a Windows
>> 2003 Server as a DC in a Windows 2000 Domain running in
>> Mixed Mode? Yes there is an old Windows NT4 Server
>> that is part of the domain.

Before you can promote an additional Windows Server 2003 domain controller
into a Windows 2000 forest, an administrator must successfully run adprep
/forestprep on the schema operations master and run adprep /domainprep on
the infrastructure master in the Windows 2000 forest.

278875 - Cannot Promote a Windows Server 2003 Domain Controller into a
Windows 2000 Forest
http://support.microsoft.com/default...278875&sd=RMVP

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

=?Utf-8?B?RGFuIFM=?=

      24th Mar 2005
Thanks! Then this means that I will need 2003 CALS Correct?

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" wrote:

> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
> Dan S <(E-Mail Removed)> commented
> Then Kevin replied below:
>
> >> Is there any documentation regarding adding a Windows
> >> 2003 Server as a DC in a Windows 2000 Domain running in
> >> Mixed Mode? Yes there is an old Windows NT4 Server
> >> that is part of the domain.

> Before you can promote an additional Windows Server 2003 domain controller
> into a Windows 2000 forest, an administrator must successfully run adprep
> /forestprep on the schema operations master and run adprep /domainprep on
> the infrastructure master in the Windows 2000 forest.
>
> 278875 - Cannot Promote a Windows Server 2003 Domain Controller into a
> Windows 2000 Forest
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...278875&sd=RMVP
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
> ===================================
> ===================================
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> ===================================
> It will strip signature out and more
> ===================================
> with OEBackup:

Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

      24th Mar 2005
In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Dan S <(E-Mail Removed)> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Thanks! Then this means that I will need 2003 CALS
> Correct?

If you have changed the CALs to per seat, as long as you have enough seat
licenses you should be OK.