Adding "voice tags" to scans

cubilcle281

      13th Oct 2005
Hi all,

I would like to attach voice tags to some old family photos that I am
scanning.

The way I envisage this working is that I would scan the photos in
bulk, then later I would review the scans with a relative who would
provide commentary on the photos (who/where/time), that would be saved
to a wav file with the same name as the photo.

Does anyone know of any software that does this? I know I can do this
manually, but I would ideally like something where I only have to press
one button and have it done automatically, if it exists.

Thanks in advance.

Lotas

      13th Oct 2005

> Does anyone know of any software that does this? I know I can do this
> manually, but I would ideally like something where I only have to press
> one button and have it done automatically, if it exists.

You may use whatever program you want to record and edit the sound,
then certain image viewers such ad acdsee allow you to link the audio
to the pictures.

Btw, i'm glad to see i'm not the only one with such weird ideas
(according to my family ;-)).

regards

Don

      13th Oct 2005
On 12 Oct 2005 18:43:38 -0700, "cubilcle281"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I would like to attach voice tags to some old family photos that I am
>scanning.

On a tangent - if memory serves - there was a (Kodak?) digicam a few
years back with this exact feature!

>The way I envisage this working is that I would scan the photos in
>bulk, then later I would review the scans with a relative who would
>provide commentary on the photos (who/where/time), that would be saved
>to a wav file with the same name as the photo.
>
>Does anyone know of any software that does this? I know I can do this
>manually, but I would ideally like something where I only have to press
>one button and have it done automatically, if it exists.

I don't think that's likely (but I may be wrong...) because it's a
fairly specialized requirement.

However, I expect some macro or scripting language out there may be
capable of it but that means writing the macro yourself.

Don.

Peter D

      13th Oct 2005
I dont' know anything that will _embed_ an audio file in a scan (which is
what I think you are asking), but there are lots of software packages that
will allow you to easily _link_ an audio file to a graphics file (or almost
anything to anything else). You could also add a _text_ file transcription
of the audio file. Or video. Or whatever you want. Would that work for you?

"cubilcle281" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to attach voice tags to some old family photos that I am
> scanning.
>
> The way I envisage this working is that I would scan the photos in
> bulk, then later I would review the scans with a relative who would
> provide commentary on the photos (who/where/time), that would be saved
> to a wav file with the same name as the photo.
>
> Does anyone know of any software that does this? I know I can do this
> manually, but I would ideally like something where I only have to press
> one button and have it done automatically, if it exists.
>
> Thanks in advance.

cubilcle281

      14th Oct 2005
I was pretty sure that embedding the audio file was out of the
question, but a link would suffice. I think someone else mentioned
that ACDSee would play an audio file of the same name as a picture.

The bigger issue for me is the software to create the audio file in the
first place. What I am hoping for is a program that will display the
picture, record the audio & save it under the same name, which saves me
having to perform all those tasks manually (and many times over). If
nothing like this exists, this might just be the excuse I need to dust
off my VB manual.

Thanks.

Peter D wrote:
> I dont' know anything that will _embed_ an audio file in a scan (which is
> what I think you are asking), but there are lots of software packages that
> will allow you to easily _link_ an audio file to a graphics file (or almost
> anything to anything else). You could also add a _text_ file transcription
> of the audio file. Or video. Or whatever you want. Would that work for you?
>
> "cubilcle281" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I would like to attach voice tags to some old family photos that I am
> > scanning.
> >
> > The way I envisage this working is that I would scan the photos in
> > bulk, then later I would review the scans with a relative who would
> > provide commentary on the photos (who/where/time), that would be saved
> > to a wav file with the same name as the photo.
> >
> > Does anyone know of any software that does this? I know I can do this
> > manually, but I would ideally like something where I only have to press
> > one button and have it done automatically, if it exists.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.

Preston Earle

      17th Oct 2005
"cubilcle281" asked about linking an audio file with an image.

You could also use a slideshow program such as Slideshow to Go
(http://www.nightwatchsoftware.com/sstg/sstg.htm) to generate .exe files
that would show an image or series of images while playing an MP3 file.
Lots of creative possibilities.

--
Preston Earle
(E-Mail Removed)