Adding Printer to Limited User Account

Ken Triebold

      29th Aug 2008
This issue has come up at our small town library which has six computers and
they are all on a wired network. I connected a USB printer to the
librarian's computer and it works fine. I then shared it and added it to the
other librarian's computer and that works fine too. We also have four other
computers that patrons use. The patrons log in in a limited user account. We
want them to also be able to use the printer that I mentioned above while
using the patron's computers. I logged in to each of the four patron's
computers, one at a time, as administrator, and was able to add the printer.
I confirmed that I could print while logged in as administrator. However,
when logging in as a patron in the limited account, I cannot print to the
new printer. For example, in Microsoft Word, the new printer does not even
appear in the drop-down-list for the printers in the print dialog box. The
problem is the same for all four of the patron's computers. Can anyone offer
a suggestion as to what I need to do in order for the limited account to
have access to this new printer?

Alan Morris [MSFT]

      30th Aug 2008
a printer connection is a per user setting. Each user has to make a
connection to the printer

Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Ken Triebold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23B%(E-Mail Removed)...
> This issue has come up at our small town library which has six computers
> and they are all on a wired network. I connected a USB printer to the
> librarian's computer and it works fine. I then shared it and added it to
> the other librarian's computer and that works fine too. We also have four
> other computers that patrons use. The patrons log in in a limited user
> account. We want them to also be able to use the printer that I mentioned
> above while using the patron's computers. I logged in to each of the four
> patron's computers, one at a time, as administrator, and was able to add
> the printer. I confirmed that I could print while logged in as
> administrator. However, when logging in as a patron in the limited
> account, I cannot print to the new printer. For example, in Microsoft
> Word, the new printer does not even appear in the drop-down-list for the
> printers in the print dialog box. The problem is the same for all four of
> the patron's computers. Can anyone offer a suggestion as to what I need to
> do in order for the limited account to have access to this new printer?

Ken Triebold

      30th Aug 2008
Thanks for the reply. It makes sense to me. I will try it out next time I go
to the library.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...