Adding "Picture Tasks" to new drive

BEK

      12th Feb 2004
I installed a new data hard drive to store photo and video files and moved
some of both to the new drive. On the left side of the window in the blue
area, WinXP automatically added a section titled "Video Tasks". Is there a
way to also add a section to the blue area entitled "Picture Tasks"? I have
that feature in my "My Pictures" folder but it would be handy to have it on
the data drive as well.

Thanks for any help you can give!
BEK

Kathleen Dunbar [MSFT]

      12th Feb 2004
No there is not a way to add both "folder type" specific tasks. You can
have either Pictures Tasks or Video tasks.
If you want to change this folder from Video tasks to Pictures tasks you can
use the Customize option in the folder properties.

--
Thanks,
Kathleen

so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

"BEK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I installed a new data hard drive to store photo and video files and moved
> some of both to the new drive. On the left side of the window in the blue
> area, WinXP automatically added a section titled "Video Tasks". Is there

> way to also add a section to the blue area entitled "Picture Tasks"? I

have
> that feature in my "My Pictures" folder but it would be handy to have it

on
> the data drive as well.
>
> Thanks for any help you can give!
> BEK

BEK

      13th Feb 2004
"Kathleen Dunbar [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:402bfc29$(E-Mail Removed)...
> No there is not a way to add both "folder type" specific tasks. You can
> have either Pictures Tasks or Video tasks.
> If you want to change this folder from Video tasks to Pictures tasks you

can
> use the Customize option in the folder properties.

Thank you for your help Kathleen! Unfortunately I've searched high and low
and have not found where I might switch Video Tasks to Picture Tasks. I'm
assuming you mean to use Customize from within the hard drive folder?
I tried right clicking on the Folders icon, went to Customize and found
nothing. Also tried Tools>Folder Options and found nothing there either.
Can't right click on the Video Tasks menu on the left side of Drive file
window.
Looked all over Control Panel and did a search in Help and Support. So far
nothing. Would you be kind enough to direct me to the correct location?

Thanks, BEK

John Inzer

      13th Feb 2004
BEK wrote:
> Thank you for your help Kathleen! Unfortunately I've
> searched high and low and have not found where I might
> switch Video Tasks to Picture Tasks. I'm assuming you
> mean to use Customize from within the hard drive folder?
> I tried right clicking on the Folders icon, went to
> Customize and found nothing. Also tried Tools>Folder
> Options and found nothing there either. Can't right click
> on the Video Tasks menu on the left side of Drive file
> window.
> Looked all over Control Panel and did a search in Help
> and Support. So far nothing. Would you be kind enough
> to direct me to the correct location?
>
> Thanks, BEK

===================================
Right click the *Folder* in question....

From the menu...choose...Properties / Customize tab...

--

John Inzer
Picture It! MVP

Picture It! Support Center
http://support.microsoft.com/?pr=pic

BEK

      13th Feb 2004

> ===================================
> Right click the *Folder* in question....
>
> From the menu...choose...Properties / Customize tab...
>
> --
>
> John Inzer
> Picture It! MVP
> return e-mail disabled
>
> Picture It! Support Center
> http://support.microsoft.com/?pr=pic

Thanks John but your directions do not work for me. I suspect that a drive
is not the same as a folder??? I'm trying to change Video Tasks to Picture
Tasks on my (data only) F: drive.

John Inzer

      13th Feb 2004
BEK wrote:
> Thanks John but your directions do not work for me. I
> suspect that a drive is not the same as a folder??? I'm
> trying to change Video Tasks to Picture Tasks on my (data
> only) F: drive.

=====================================
Forget about the Drive....we are talking about
Customizing a *Folder*...

You know...like...My Documents / My Pictures /
Uncle Harry's Birthday Party / Etc...

Right click the ***Folder*** in question...

And I mean...Right Click the *Folder* when it is
not open...just right click the icon that looks like
a yellow manilla *Folder*.

From the menu...choose...Properties / Customize
tab...Open the drop window and choose the kind
of *Folder* you want.

Come on now...it's not that complicated.
--

John Inzer
Picture It! MVP
return e-mail disabled

Picture It! Support Center
http://support.microsoft.com/?pr=pic

BEK

      13th Feb 2004
> Forget about the Drive....we are talking about
> Customizing a *Folder*...
>
> You know...like...My Documents / My Pictures /
> Uncle Harry's Birthday Party / Etc...
>
> Right click the ***Folder*** in question...
>
> And I mean...Right Click the *Folder* when it is
> not open...just right click the icon that looks like
> a yellow manilla *Folder*.
>
> From the menu...choose...Properties / Customize
> tab...Open the drop window and choose the kind
> of *Folder* you want.
>
> Come on now...it's not that complicated.
> --
>
> John Inzer
> Picture It! MVP
> return e-mail disabled
>
> Picture It! Support Center
> http://support.microsoft.com/?pr=pic

I'm not ignorant....can't you read? I am not trying to do this on a folder,
I'm trying to do it on a DRIVE!!!!
I have described what I see the best I can....click on F: drive icon (NOT A
FOLDER ICON), window showing drive contents (4200 photo files) with Blue
column on Left side of window. "Video Tasks" is at the top of the list in
blue column. I want to change Video Tasks to Picture Tasks.....my files are
NOT Video....they are Pictures!!! Can this get any clearer????? If you
can't help me just say so.

Thanks. BEK

John Inzer

      13th Feb 2004
BEK wrote:
> I'm not ignorant....can't you read? I am not trying to
> do this on a folder, I'm trying to do it on a DRIVE!!!!
> I have described what I see the best I can....click on F:
> drive icon (NOT A FOLDER ICON), window showing drive
> contents (4200 photo files) with Blue column on Left side
> of window. "Video Tasks" is at the top of the list in
> blue column. I want to change Video Tasks to Picture
> Tasks.....my files are NOT Video....they are Pictures!!!
> Can this get any clearer????? If you can't help me just
> say so.
>
> Thanks. BEK

No I can't read....I just post messages and hope that
they match up with the questions.

Are you saying you have a hard drive with nothing
on it but 4200 image files? No folders?

I'm thinking if you see "Video Tasks" at the top of
the left pane....you are in a *Folder*. Close the *Folder*
and right click it...and follow the previous instructions.

If you were only accessing a *Hard Drive* the left pane
should say: "File and Folder Tasks".

You'll figure it out.

--

John Inzer
Picture It! MVP
return e-mail disabled

Picture It! Support Center
http://support.microsoft.com/?pr=pic

Hank Wirtz

      13th Feb 2004
I think that some of the incredulity you're encountering is due to the fact
that in the root of a drive, the only thing you're supposed to see in the
tasks pane is "File & Folder Tasks." Since there shouldn't EVER be "Video
Tasks" when in the root, I think those replying are assuming that you're not
in the root, as you claim to be.

So short answer: can you edit the tasks pane for the root of the drive? No.
If you have "Video Tasks," then, well, that's a good trick.

I hope I understand what you're saying correctly. If not, simmer down. The
MVPs are here to help. Don't be a jerk to them.

-Hank

"BEK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I'm not ignorant....can't you read? I am not trying to do this on a

folder,
> I'm trying to do it on a DRIVE!!!!
> I have described what I see the best I can....click on F: drive icon (NOT

> FOLDER ICON), window showing drive contents (4200 photo files) with Blue
> column on Left side of window. "Video Tasks" is at the top of the list in
> blue column. I want to change Video Tasks to Picture Tasks.....my files

are
> NOT Video....they are Pictures!!! Can this get any clearer????? If you
> can't help me just say so.
>
> Thanks. BEK

BEK

      13th Feb 2004
Yes Hank, you do understand exactly what I am saying and I REALLY do, in
fact, have Video Tasks in the tasks pane of the root of F: If that is
unheard of then, so be it. I appreciate your simple answer to my question,
and, the fact that you did not assume I was an idiot although the "simmer
down" suggestion is somewhat insulting.

You did however, assume that I am a jerk. I am not. I do appreciate MVPs
and from time to time have asked for help. And I realize that they get a
lot of really dumb questions. They shouldn't assume ignorance just because
the question is new or unusual.

BEK