when adding new users - how do you allow them access to programs e

Allan

      25th Nov 2008
i add a new user in XP, set them but cannot see any of the programs that were
available to the other users on the box (i have a person that went on mat
leave). I know something needs to be done - but what?

Leonard Grey

      25th Nov 2008
This is a question for your network administrator, who is responsible
for deciding who has access to what programs.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare Humanum Est

Security Tips for Everyone, from PC Magazine

Allan wrote:
> i add a new user in XP, set them but cannot see any of the programs that were
> available to the other users on the box (i have a person that went on mat
> leave). I know something needs to be done - but what?

Malke

      25th Nov 2008
Allan wrote:

> i add a new user in XP, set them but cannot see any of the programs that
> were available to the other users on the box (i have a person that went on
> mat
> leave). I know something needs to be done - but what?

Mr. Grey's advice is applicable if you have a company machine. If you are
talking about a home computer, then:

1. Many programs offer the choice during their installation routine to
install for all users or just for the current user. If you chose the
latter, you will need to uninstall/reinstall the programs and make the
correct choice during reinstallation.

2. If you chose the former (or weren't offered a choice), then you are
probably referring to a lack of shortcut icons to those programs on the
users' Start Menus. You can easily add them. Right-click on their Start
button and Explore All Users. You will see all the Start Menus for all the
users on the system, including yours. Just copy the programs' shortcuts
from your Start Menu to theirs.

Malke
--
MS-MVP