Adding error bars to individual data points

      16th Dec 2003
Excel Help says you can add error bars to different data
SERIES in a chart, but says nothing about individual data
points. Invariably each data point is going to have a
different standard error, but I'm having trouble figuring
out how to do this. Has anyone else had this problem?
There must be some way to do it, as I've seen several
scientific presentations at conferences that portray
individual data points with differing error bars...

Tushar Mehta

      16th Dec 2003
Calculate whatever error values you want in a worksheet range
(different columns for + errors and for - errors).

Then, on the chart, double click the plotted series, and in the
resulting dialog box, click the Y Error Bars tab. Towards the bottom
there is a 'Custom' option. Select it and specify the ranges for the +
and/or - errors.

--
Regards,

Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article <151ae01c3c408$433a9100$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Excel Help says you can add error bars to different data
> SERIES in a chart, but says nothing about individual data
> points. Invariably each data point is going to have a
> different standard error, but I'm having trouble figuring
> out how to do this. Has anyone else had this problem?
> There must be some way to do it, as I've seen several
> scientific presentations at conferences that portray
> individual data points with differing error bars...

Andy Pope

      16th Dec 2003
Select the data series and press CTRL+1 to display the format dialog.
On the error bars tab you should find the options to use;
Fixed value
Percentage
Standard deviations
Standard error
Custom + and or -

The custom boxes can be used to reference cell values.

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Excel Help says you can add error bars to different data
> SERIES in a chart, but says nothing about individual data
> points. Invariably each data point is going to have a
> different standard error, but I'm having trouble figuring
> out how to do this. Has anyone else had this problem?
> There must be some way to do it, as I've seen several
> scientific presentations at conferences that portray
> individual data points with differing error bars...

--

Cheers
Andy

http://www.andypope.info