Add Word & Excel to Right Click Menu

=?Utf-8?B?c3RlZGFp?=

      5th Jul 2006
I want to do a right click and be able to create a Word or Excel file under
the right click "New" menu.

I have searched and found ways to do so by accessing the Registry and
manually typing in info. I don't feel confident in doing this.

Is there a less fear provoking way that a technology challenged person can
add Word and Excell choices to the right click menu?

Bert Kinney

      5th Jul 2006
Hi,

This can easily be done using TweakUI, Templates.

Microsoft PowerToys - Tweakui for WinXP: Ver. 2.10 requires WinXP SP1 and
later
http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWSXP/h.../powertoys.asp

TweakUI can be accessed from Start - All Programs - Powertoys for Windows XP

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

"stedai" wrote
>I want to do a right click and be able to create a Word or Excel file under
> the right click "New" menu.
>
> I have searched and found ways to do so by accessing the Registry and
> manually typing in info. I don't feel confident in doing this.
>
> Is there a less fear provoking way that a technology challenged person can
> add Word and Excell choices to the right click menu?

=?Utf-8?B?c3RlZGFp?=

      5th Jul 2006
Than you Bert. Forgive me for being so dense.

I downloaded and now can access TweakUI. What in the TWeakUI user I/F do I
need to select and what do I need to do to add Word and Excel?

Thank you kindly,
Steve

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This can easily be done using TweakUI, Templates.
>
> Microsoft PowerToys - Tweakui for WinXP: Ver. 2.10 requires WinXP SP1 and
> later
> http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWSXP/h.../powertoys.asp
>
> TweakUI can be accessed from Start - All Programs - Powertoys for Windows XP
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://bertk.mvps.org
>
> "stedai" wrote
> >I want to do a right click and be able to create a Word or Excel file under
> > the right click "New" menu.
> >
> > I have searched and found ways to do so by accessing the Registry and
> > manually typing in info. I don't feel confident in doing this.
> >
> > Is there a less fear provoking way that a technology challenged person can
> > add Word and Excell choices to the right click menu?

Ronnie Vernon MVP

      5th Jul 2006
Steve

Open TweakUI and select Templates in the menu. Place a check mark in the Excel item and OK your way out. If Excel does not appear in the list, click the Create button and navigate to the Excel.exe file. Select the file and click Open to add Excel to the list.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"stedai" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Than you Bert. Forgive me for being so dense.
>
> I downloaded and now can access TweakUI. What in the TWeakUI user I/F do I
> need to select and what do I need to do to add Word and Excel?
>
> Thank you kindly,
> Steve
>
> "Bert Kinney" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> This can easily be done using TweakUI, Templates.
>>
>> Microsoft PowerToys - Tweakui for WinXP: Ver. 2.10 requires WinXP SP1 and
>> later
>> http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWSXP/h.../powertoys.asp
>>
>> TweakUI can be accessed from Start - All Programs - Powertoys for Windows XP
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
>> http://bertk.mvps.org
>>
>> "stedai" wrote
>> >I want to do a right click and be able to create a Word or Excel file under
>> > the right click "New" menu.
>> >
>> > I have searched and found ways to do so by accessing the Registry and
>> > manually typing in info. I don't feel confident in doing this.
>> >
>> > Is there a less fear provoking way that a technology challenged person can
>> > add Word and Excell choices to the right click menu?

=?Utf-8?B?c3RlZGFp?=

      5th Jul 2006
Ron,
Excel was not a choice so I selected Create. I then used the browser window
that came up to select Programs/MicrosoftOffice/Office11/Excel and selected
Open.

Then I got a error window titled Excel.exe and the message said "This
document can not be used as a document template"

I appreciate any additional thoughts...

Best,
Steve

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Steve
>
> Open TweakUI and select Templates in the menu. Place a check mark in the Excel item and OK your way out. If Excel does not appear in the list, click the Create button and navigate to the Excel.exe file. Select the file and click Open to add Excel to the list.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "stedai" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Than you Bert. Forgive me for being so dense.
> >
> > I downloaded and now can access TweakUI. What in the TWeakUI user I/F do I
> > need to select and what do I need to do to add Word and Excel?
> >
> > Thank you kindly,
> > Steve
> >
> > "Bert Kinney" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> This can easily be done using TweakUI, Templates.
> >>
> >> Microsoft PowerToys - Tweakui for WinXP: Ver. 2.10 requires WinXP SP1 and
> >> later
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWSXP/h.../powertoys.asp
> >>
> >> TweakUI can be accessed from Start - All Programs - Powertoys for Windows XP
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> >> http://bertk.mvps.org
> >>
> >> "stedai" wrote

Bert Kinney

      5th Jul 2006
Hi Steve,

Navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Templates and select
Excel.xls.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
http://bertk.mvps.org

"stedai" wrote
> Ron,
> Excel was not a choice so I selected Create. I then used the browser
> window
> that came up to select Programs/MicrosoftOffice/Office11/Excel and
> selected Open.
>
> Then I got a error window titled Excel.exe and the message said "This
> document can not be used as a document template"
>
> I appreciate any additional thoughts...
>
> Best,
> Steve
>
> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>
>> Steve
>>
>> Open TweakUI and select Templates in the menu. Place a check mark in the
>> Excel item and OK your way out. If Excel does not appear in the list,
>> click the Create button and navigate to the Excel.exe file. Select the
>> file and click Open to add Excel to the list.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "stedai" wrote
>> > Than you Bert. Forgive me for being so dense.
>> >
>> > I downloaded and now can access TweakUI. What in the TWeakUI user I/F
>> > do I
>> > need to select and what do I need to do to add Word and Excel?
>> >
>> > Thank you kindly,
>> > Steve

Ronnie Vernon MVP

      5th Jul 2006
Steve

I guess you need to create an actual worksheet in Excel.

Open Excel to a blank worksheet. Click File/Save As and save the file to the Desktop using the default name (Book1.xls).

Now open TweakUI and create the new template browsing to the file you created on the desktop. Apply/OK. Close TweakUI and you can then delete the Excel file that was saved to the desktop.

You should now have the Excel template in the right click menu.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User

"stedai" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ron,
> Excel was not a choice so I selected Create. I then used the browser window
> that came up to select Programs/MicrosoftOffice/Office11/Excel and selected
> Open.
>
> Then I got a error window titled Excel.exe and the message said "This
> document can not be used as a document template"
>
> I appreciate any additional thoughts...
>
> Best,
> Steve
>
> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>
>> Steve
>>
>> Open TweakUI and select Templates in the menu. Place a check mark in the Excel item and OK your way out. If Excel does not appear in the list, click the Create button and navigate to the Excel.exe file. Select the file and click Open to add Excel to the list.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "stedai" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Than you Bert. Forgive me for being so dense.
>> >
>> > I downloaded and now can access TweakUI. What in the TWeakUI user I/F do I
>> > need to select and what do I need to do to add Word and Excel?
>> >
>> > Thank you kindly,
>> > Steve

=?Utf-8?B?c3RlZGFp?=

      5th Jul 2006
Bert,
Thanks for the try.

Following your instructions gives me a different error message. Upon
selecting C:\Documents and Settings\Steve\Templates and then selecting
Excel.xls, I get the following:
No application is associated with this document. Create an association by
using Explorer.

Going to Explorer and double clicking on the Excel template (in
Doc7settings\Steve\Templates) brings up Excel.

Right clicking on the template and selecting properties shows that it Opens
with Microsoft Office Excel.

Other thoughts, please...

Best,
Steve
"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> Navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Templates and select
> Excel.xls.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://bertk.mvps.org
>

> "stedai" wrote
> > Ron,
> > Excel was not a choice so I selected Create. I then used the browser
> > window
> > that came up to select Programs/MicrosoftOffice/Office11/Excel and
> > selected Open.
> >
> > Then I got a error window titled Excel.exe and the message said "This
> > document can not be used as a document template"
> >
> > I appreciate any additional thoughts...
> >
> > Best,
> > Steve
> >
> > "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Steve
> >>
> >> Open TweakUI and select Templates in the menu. Place a check mark in the
> >> Excel item and OK your way out. If Excel does not appear in the list,
> >> click the Create button and navigate to the Excel.exe file. Select the
> >> file and click Open to add Excel to the list.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Ronnie Vernon
> >> Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows Shell/User
> >>

> >> "stedai" wrote

=?Utf-8?B?c3RlZGFp?=

      5th Jul 2006
I get the following:
After trying your suggestion, I get "No application is associated with this
document. Create an association by using Explorer."

Going to the desktop and double clicking on the Excel Book1.xls file
brings up Excel.

In addition right clicking on the file and selecting properties shows that
it Opens
with Microsoft Office Excel.

So it seams that Excel is in fact associated with the .xls file type.
Making the error message puzzling.

Other thoughts, please...

Best,
Steve

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Steve
>
> I guess you need to create an actual worksheet in Excel.
>
> Open Excel to a blank worksheet. Click File/Save As and save the file to the Desktop using the default name (Book1.xls).
>
> Now open TweakUI and create the new template browsing to the file you created on the desktop. Apply/OK. Close TweakUI and you can then delete the Excel file that was saved to the desktop.
>
> You should now have the Excel template in the right click menu.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "stedai" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Ron,
> > Excel was not a choice so I selected Create. I then used the browser window
> > that came up to select Programs/MicrosoftOffice/Office11/Excel and selected
> > Open.
> >
> > Then I got a error window titled Excel.exe and the message said "This
> > document can not be used as a document template"
> >
> > I appreciate any additional thoughts...
> >
> > Best,
> > Steve
> >
> > "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Steve
> >>
> >> Open TweakUI and select Templates in the menu. Place a check mark in the Excel item and OK your way out. If Excel does not appear in the list, click the Create button and navigate to the Excel.exe file. Select the file and click Open to add Excel to the list.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Ronnie Vernon
> >> Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows Shell/User

Ramesh, MS-MVP

      6th Jul 2006
Steve,

Click Start, Run and type:

CMD /C ASSOC .xls=Excel.Sheet.8

If that does not help, you have two options:

1. Repair Microsoft Excel
2. Download FileExtInfo from the following page, unzip and run the utility.
Then generate a file association report for .XLS file type, and post the
info here. Perhaps one of us will investigate.

FileExtInfo: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/fileextinfo.htm

--
Regards,

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com