Add search box to Excel

Mike

      19th Jun 2008
First, I am a very novice Excel user. I have a 2000+ row worksheet that my
boss would like me to add a search box for. Each cell entry in this column in
a unique account number. Ctrl-f does not work because my account numbers
begin at 1 and end at 10000 (205 could be returned from multiple cells 2051
and 2052...). This is joined by 7 other related columns that display YTD data
on the account. Basically I need to enter the account number in the search
box and have the whole row of data appear at the top of the range for that
account. I think this may have to be done in VBA and that is over my head.
Mike

Gord Dibben

      19th Jun 2008
Mike

Try Data>Filter>Autofilter

Either select the account number by scroll or by "Custom" and type the number in
"equal to"

You could automate this with code if you wanted to.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 13:07:00 -0700, Mike <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>First, I am a very novice Excel user. I have a 2000+ row worksheet that my
>boss would like me to add a search box for. Each cell entry in this column in
>a unique account number. Ctrl-f does not work because my account numbers
>begin at 1 and end at 10000 (205 could be returned from multiple cells 2051
>and 2052...). This is joined by 7 other related columns that display YTD data
>on the account. Basically I need to enter the account number in the search
>box and have the whole row of data appear at the top of the range for that
>account. I think this may have to be done in VBA and that is over my head.
>Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Gord Dibben

      19th Jun 2008
By the way.

When using CTRL + f you can set options to "match entire cells contents" so you
don't pick up all the cells that contain 205.

Just 205 will be returned.

Gord

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 13:15:32 -0700, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote:

>Mike
>
>Try Data>Filter>Autofilter
>
>Either select the account number by scroll or by "Custom" and type the number in
>"equal to"
>
>You could automate this with code if you wanted to.
>

>Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
>
>On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 13:07:00 -0700, Mike <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>First, I am a very novice Excel user. I have a 2000+ row worksheet that my
>>boss would like me to add a search box for. Each cell entry in this column in
>>a unique account number. Ctrl-f does not work because my account numbers
>>begin at 1 and end at 10000 (205 could be returned from multiple cells 2051
>>and 2052...). This is joined by 7 other related columns that display YTD data
>>on the account. Basically I need to enter the account number in the search
>>box and have the whole row of data appear at the top of the range for that
>>account. I think this may have to be done in VBA and that is over my head.
>>Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

      19th Jun 2008
Could you give me any tips with doing this in code? The workbook needs to be
simple to use and tidy looking.
--
Mike

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> By the way.
>
> When using CTRL + f you can set options to "match entire cells contents" so you
> don't pick up all the cells that contain 205.
>
> Just 205 will be returned.
>

> Gord
>
> On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 13:15:32 -0700, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote:
>
> >Mike
> >
> >Try Data>Filter>Autofilter
> >
> >Either select the account number by scroll or by "Custom" and type the number in
> >"equal to"
> >
> >You could automate this with code if you wanted to.
> >

> >Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
> >
> >On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 13:07:00 -0700, Mike <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >>First, I am a very novice Excel user. I have a 2000+ row worksheet that my
> >>boss would like me to add a search box for. Each cell entry in this column in
> >>a unique account number. Ctrl-f does not work because my account numbers
> >>begin at 1 and end at 10000 (205 could be returned from multiple cells 2051
> >>and 2052...). This is joined by 7 other related columns that display YTD data
> >>on the account. Basically I need to enter the account number in the search
> >>box and have the whole row of data appear at the top of the range for that
> >>account. I think this may have to be done in VBA and that is over my head.
> >>Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Gord Dibben

      19th Jun 2008
You could use the Macro Recorder to get some code.

Or something similar to this.

Sub filtering()
Dim whatfind As String
ActiveSheet.AutoFilterMode = False
whatfind = InputBox("enter a code number")
Selection.AutoFilter
Selection.AutoFilter Field:=1, Criteria1:=whatfind
End Sub

Assumes Column A is code number column with a title in A1.

For more code for autofiltering see Ron de Bruin's site for examples.

http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy5.htm

Gord