How to add fonts to Word?

CM

      13th Aug 2003
Hi there:
I am using MS Word 2000. In C:/Winnt/Fonts, there are over 90 fonts, but in
Word, there are only 40 fonts. How can I add fonts to Word? Does this mean
Word in not using fonts from C:/Winnt/Fonts/?
Thanks!
CM

Bert

      13th Aug 2003
CM,

What you are seeing in C:/Winnt/Fonts/ are all the font
variations (bold, italic, etc. as well as other types of
fonts rather than True Type like .fon). Word only
displays single names for one font group. Your can then
apply italic, for instance, and Word knows what to do.

To install fonts or check font installations, go to
C:/Winnt/Fonts/ and you will notice the menus in the
active window change. From there you can install new
fonts, view by similarity, etc.

Good Luck,
Bert Fancher

CM

      13th Aug 2003
Thanks for the reply!
One more question:
If I want to use fonts on other source such as CD ROM, but do not want to
install it on C:/Winnt/Fonts/, what can I do?
Thanks!
CM

"Bert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:00a301c361c2$726112e0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> CM,
>
> What you are seeing in C:/Winnt/Fonts/ are all the font
> variations (bold, italic, etc. as well as other types of
> fonts rather than True Type like .fon). Word only
> displays single names for one font group. Your can then
> apply italic, for instance, and Word knows what to do.
>
> To install fonts or check font installations, go to
> C:/Winnt/Fonts/ and you will notice the menus in the
> active window change. From there you can install new
> fonts, view by similarity, etc.
>
> Good Luck,
> Bert Fancher

Jim Harkins

      13th Aug 2003
On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 15:55:29 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>You cannot use fonts that are not in the Windows Fonts folder unless they
>are printer resident, but if you use printer-resident fonts for which you do
>not have corresponding display fonts installed, the output may not match
>what you see on the screen.

Gotta jump in here, Suzanne - isn't it possible to use an uninstalled
font as long as you have the file open? You can't save or embed, of
course, but you can use it in a file and then print the file, or take
a screen snapshot and save it as a graphic. If you have to install the
font bnefore using it i a document, then my pooters, from Win95 on up
have been doing the impossible for years...<g>

Suzanne S. Barnhill

      13th Aug 2003
You can specify an uninstalled font, but you cannot display it (Word will
substitute another font for display), nor can you print it unless it is
printer-resident. Regardless of what font name is shown in the Font box, the
font you see on the screen or get from the printer will be one that is
installed either in the Fonts folder or in the printer, with the exception
that on Windows 9x systems and earlier, PostScript fonts are not stored in
the Fonts folder.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Jim Harkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 15:55:29 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >You cannot use fonts that are not in the Windows Fonts folder unless they
> >are printer resident, but if you use printer-resident fonts for which you

do
> >not have corresponding display fonts installed, the output may not match
> >what you see on the screen.

> Gotta jump in here, Suzanne - isn't it possible to use an uninstalled
> font as long as you have the file open? You can't save or embed, of
> course, but you can use it in a file and then print the file, or take
> a screen snapshot and save it as a graphic. If you have to install the
> font bnefore using it i a document, then my pooters, from Win95 on up
> have been doing the impossible for years...<g>

Bob S

      26th Aug 2003
On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 17:12:06 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>You can specify an uninstalled font, but you cannot display it (Word will
>substitute another font for display), nor can you print it unless it is
>printer-resident. Regardless of what font name is shown in the Font box, the
>font you see on the screen or get from the printer will be one that is
>installed either in the Fonts folder or in the printer, with the exception
>that on Windows 9x systems and earlier, PostScript fonts are not stored in
>the Fonts folder.

Well actually you *can* display an uninstalled font, though the
ability is seldom useful except for testing whether you like the looks
of a particular font in situ. Here's how:

Close Word, double-click an uninstalled font file (or several if you
wish) so that it opens the Font Viewer window with its sample text,
and then start Word. The font will appear in Word's list of fonts and
will display properly. In fact it will keep displaying even if you now
close the Font Viewer window(s).

Of course, the next time you open a document containing this font, you
either have to install the font, do this monkey business again, or
accept a substitute font.

Bob S

Suzanne S. Barnhill

      27th Aug 2003
Neat trick!

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
Word MVP FAQ site: http://www.mvps.org/word
all may benefit.

"Bob S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 17:12:06 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >You can specify an uninstalled font, but you cannot display it (Word will
> >substitute another font for display), nor can you print it unless it is
> >printer-resident. Regardless of what font name is shown in the Font box,

the
> >font you see on the screen or get from the printer will be one that is
> >installed either in the Fonts folder or in the printer, with the

exception
> >that on Windows 9x systems and earlier, PostScript fonts are not stored

in
> >the Fonts folder.

> Well actually you *can* display an uninstalled font, though the
> ability is seldom useful except for testing whether you like the looks
> of a particular font in situ. Here's how:
>
> Close Word, double-click an uninstalled font file (or several if you
> wish) so that it opens the Font Viewer window with its sample text,
> and then start Word. The font will appear in Word's list of fonts and
> will display properly. In fact it will keep displaying even if you now
> close the Font Viewer window(s).
>
> Of course, the next time you open a document containing this font, you
> either have to install the font, do this monkey business again, or
> accept a substitute font.
>
> Bob S

=?Utf-8?B?Skg=?=

      9th Nov 2003
Dear CM

I have only 19 fonts in my Word 2000. I can't even see the file you mentioned, let alone know how to get the fonts into my program. I have tried finding a download through the Web, but MS seems to be offering nothing. Did you solve your problem? I am looking in particular for "castellar", all the "lucidia"'s and maybe Bell MT, but I can use a host of fonts.

Looking forward to hearing from you, JH

=?Utf-8?B?Skg=?=

      9th Nov 2003
Hi! I have read all your messages now, and looked at the fonts on my C drive. Sadly I have no additional fonts, only the 19 on Word. I have sent a message to MS suggesting the availability of a download. I hope they reply soon, opr I shall have to get on my pony and go down to the store for a discfull. THanks for listening (reading) - JH

Mike Williams [MVP]

      9th Nov 2003
JH wrote:
> Dear CM
>
> I have only 19 fonts in my Word 2000. I can't even see the file you
> mentioned, let alone know how to get the fonts into my program. I
> have tried finding a download through the Web, but MS seems to be
> offering nothing. Did you solve your problem? I am looking in
> particular for "castellar", all the "lucidia"'s and maybe Bell MT,
> but I can use a host of fonts.

Your searches will be helped by spelling font names correctly: Castella,
Lucida etc.

Fonts are installed in Windows (hint: see Control Panel Fonts) and then Word
and other applications may use.

Mike Williams - Office MVP http://www.mvps.org/faq/

Please respond in the same thread on this newsgroup - not by email!
Include details of your application and Windows versions, plus any
service pack updates. Answers may also be found by reading recent
posts, checking the FAQs or searching the relevant Google archive at.
http://groups.google.com/groups?group=microsoft.public